Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lalalalaloopsy

White spots on finger nails. Why?

I get these small white spots on my finger nails and I hate them. I don't remember exactly when I started getting them but I want them gone. What could they be from and what could I possibly do to prevent them from appearing on my nails? Thanks...

I have always heard they are from damage. Biting nails, picking at them to somewhat disrupt the nail bed, banging your hand with your fingers against something. They won't show right away because it is what happens under where the nail starts...

If you had a severe enough zinc deficiency to get the spots, I think you would see other signs too (like hair falling out), could be though

i've had these seem spots all my life and have been taking zinc for a while now and i still have them.

there was a thread back when on this about being related to candida.

but who knows cus no one ever came out with a straight up answer.

When I started taking the glucomanan supplement I got these white flecks on my fingernails. Since I stopped they're growing out and I haven't seen anymore developing. I believe it's due to some kind of deficiency.

I remember a few years ago I had them all over my nails. There were multiple ones on all my fingers. It was horrible. Turns out it was the fucking nail salon I was going to. After I stopped going there they cleared up and I could finally see my actual nails.

But if you don't go to a nail salon I would say you need some zinc. You may also notice hair loss with the lack of zinc.

If you're already taking zinc, it means you aren't digesting it, or your body isn't using it for whatever reason. Consider the possibility that you have little to no stomach acid (if you have any problems with digestion especially) I agree with the other reply: see a naturopath.

I used to have these on all of my fingernails too! And then someone told me I was getting too much calcium, so I stopped dairy products and they went away!