Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LucyPevensie

Picking, Pinching, and Popping

I know we've been advised everywhere not to pick our face.

Option AWhen I didn't pick: When I didn't pick my face I had two whiteheads, and what happened was they got bigger and bigger and bigger. Finally one popped on it's own, and I got my very first acne scar. The second one turned red, got smaller, then got bigger, then it popped on it's own. Second scar. And these lasted forever! Since then the scars have filled in pretty well, but I can still find them.

Option BWhen I used to pick: Again, two whiteheads, I squeezed until a little blood came out. Then an hour later there would be a scab, then in two days it would be gone for good. I'd watch that place and wait for a second one, but it never came. Oh and no scarring.

Conclusion? I choose B. Anybody had a similar experience?

yeah, just have to be careful about it. i only pick when the pimple has dried out and immediately put polysporin on it.

Yup!! I always popped mine and they would be gone by the next day so....also I do the same if I had blackheads cuz if ya leave it in there the pore just gets bigger so I just squeeze it out and no more black head ;)

It's like dead skin cells, bacteria, and t-cells. That's what I've heard.

So why does everybody say not to pick? I don't get it, it works so well.

I think whether or not, it forms a long lasting scar depends on whether you pop it when the pimple is already ripe (ready to be picked). If its already ripe, I dont think it scars too much but if its not ripe yet, then it might scar more badly.

I had a terrible experience with picking at an inflamed blackhead about a month ago. It turned into the largest dark mark that I think I've ever had on my face. I swear it was about the size of a quarter. I will NOT be picking at my face anymore. That experience was just too traumatic for me. The dark mark is fading, thank GOD, but I can still see it a little.

Actually... I worked for a dermatologist and he always advised to pick blackheads because they tend to leave scars if you do not.

I'm not sure that guy was necessarily picking. I think he had a horrible case of acne!

Actually, I am a registered nurse and I see the results of too much picking or obsessive picking that results in scars just like that guys'.

I've popped shitloads of acne during my early teens, which left me only two brown marks that I can remember of. They took some time to fade, but in the end they did go away.

Actually... I worked for a dermatologist and he always advised to pick blackheads because they tend to leave scars if you do not.

I'm not sure that guy was necessarily picking. I think he had a horrible case of acne!

Actually, I am a registered nurse and I see the results of too much picking or obsessive picking that results in scars just like that guys'.

I was referring to facial/acne surgeries at derma offices. That usually involves a cosmetologist, steaming equipment to open up pores, and all that jazz. That type of picking can be very helpful and that's why facials exist.

Picking can be done at home with right equipment made just for picking pimples.

Squeezing pimples between your fingers/nails = bad.

I pick and pop mine hahaha. I dont see the point of not doing it If the pimple is going to dry by it self and fall out leaving behind a open pore. Why not do it your self so it can heal faster. This derm actually suggest to pop them suckers. http://www.videojug.com/interview/acne check it out :]

That is so gross! But everyone's skin is different. Let me tell you more about one of the white heads I didn't pick. I got it a month ago, and it is now gone at last, but it's red, and from about five feet away it looks like acne. Let's hope the Apple Cider Vinegar I just bought today will get rid of the redness.

I've tried not picking, but the plug just stay there, they become flat but are still there, and sometimes, out of nowhere they come alive and become even bigger. So, I tend to pop my pimple, but my problem is sometimes I got impatient and tried to pop them when they are not ready to be popped yet which eventually lead to a bigger problem.

some people their face are not like yours .. some are sensitive . some people get acne but after clearing up they dont get scars . but some people who get acne they get scars . it depends on the type of skin . i have acne but i dont have scars ...clearing up fast now

I have been getting some smaller pimples lately, and they seem to go away pretty well, maybe even in a day or two. But bigger ones still give me problems. They don't go away, they even come back, and I hate them. And I hate to pick them too, now that I'm kind of out of the habit.

ok, popping blackheads and ripe pimples isn't that bad if you do it the right way. Blackheads will leave an enlarged pore or even a scar if you don't squeeze them.

I always popped every single bump and I never noticed any scar, only some redness which disappeared in several days, so I thought it wouldn't do any harm, BUT the picking got worse and it left several scabs which I scratched also, still didn't leave a scar I thought...

well since this year I noticed little indentions and when I watched in the mirror with daylight I noticed a LOT indentions and sort of icepicks... and one cheek has got a lot of lighter spots which won't tan anymore... and now I wished I never picked and scratched anything on my face. The only scars I got is from picking so please be careful...

Oh I also do a lot of picking on my arms and that left also a lot of lighter spots...the skintherapist told me they ain't scars but why are they there after several years??? I think they are scars and now I have this ugly skin for the rest of my life, making me feel real depressed. If I didn't pick I would have a nice skin, but I ruined it myself....

I pick, and I'm going to continue to pick, just becuase it's what helps my face. Only if the spots are ready to be popped, if they aren't I usually leave them alone

Im sorta screwed both ways but it seems to me the ones that do come to a head which I will pop have healed slightly better than the larger ones that i leave alone and do not come to a head.

Anyways ive cut my nails super short... but i still touch my face a lot and i want to STOP. its just so hard... no new acne being on the regimen (again) for 2 months now. :)

Am I the only one that has to pop spots repeatively until they go away?

I mean like twice a day for a week, and that's with no blood coming out.

So what to do :doubt: pick or not to pick... I have these two monster white heads on my fore head... I know, wow the worst place when people first look at you. I want to pick these, but people say you shouldn't... *sigh*