Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
j0shw

BENZAMYCIN - BETTER THAN BP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi

Right now, my skin is fabulous. No zits whatsoever and virtually no scars. A month ago, I had about 20 medium sized red pimples on my face with about 4-5 white heads. I went on Dan's regime and the Benzoyl Peroxide helped quite a bit, but it didn't do the job 100%. One day, I went to my doc to ask for a prescription BP so I don't have to buy it over the counter all the time. (I have health insurance coverage for prescriptions.) He recommended Benzamycin, basically BP mixed in with an antibiotic, which is supposed to be better. It certainly was. I am totally clear and my complexion looks fantastic a week and a half on the med. If you can afford it and the BP isn't working perfectly, you might want to give the Benzamycin a shot.

Yours,

Josh.

PS Thanks Dan for introducing me to BP!!!

The following is from J Cutan Med Surg 2002 Oct 9.

A Randomized, Double-Blind, Multicenter, Parallel Group Study to Compare Relative Efficacies of the Topical Gels 3% Erythromycin/5% Benzoyl Peroxide and 0.025% Tretinoin/Erythromycin 4% in the Treatment of Moderate Acne Vulgaris of the Face.

Gupta AK, Lynde CW, Kunynetz RA, Amin S, Choi K, Goldstein E.

Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, Sunnybrook and Women's College Health Science Center (Sunnybrook site) and the University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Background: Combination treatments for acne vulgaris, such as Benzamycin® (3% erythromycin/5% benzoyl peroxide) and Stievamycin® (0.025% tretinoin/erythromycin 4%), reduce bacterial growth, which contributes to the inflammatory lesions typical of adolescent acne, and also decrease the epidermal cell compaction which may form the characteristic noninflammatory comedone. Both agents contain erythromycin to reduce the growth of Propionibacterium acnes in skin. Benzoyl peroxide has antibiotic activity as well as anticomedogenic properties. Tretinoin may increase the turnover of epidermal cells and loosen the cells compacted to form comedones. A combination preparation containing the two antibiotics may reduce the development of resistance; the combination preparation containing tretinoin and erythromycin will have an antibiotic effect as well as acting on differentiation. Patients and Methods: This multicenter, randomized, double-blind, parallel group study compared the effectiveness of 3% erythromycin/5% benzoyl peroxide and 0.025% tretinoin/erythromycin 4%, each applied twice daily in patients with moderate acne vulgaris. Overall physician and patient ratings of severity of acne symptoms were performed at baseline and at weeks 2, 4, 8, and 12. Results: At baseline the two treatment groups had similar disease severity. The number of papules, pustules, and comedones was reduced in both treatment groups at week 12, and the reductions were not significantly different between the two comparators. Global physician rating of improvement was significantly higher in the 3% erythromycin/5% benzoyl peroxide group compared with the 0.025% tretinoin/erythromycin 4% group; however, there was no significant difference in global patient ratings between the two treatment groups. An aggregate score was produced, for both physician rating and patient rating, by adding up individual symptom severity ratings. Compared with 0.025% tretinoin/erythromycin 4%, 3% erythromycin/5% benzoyl peroxide provided significantly greater reduction in both physician- and patient-rated severity of acne symptoms; there was a significant difference between the two groups as early as week 2. The 3% erythromycin/5% benzoyl peroxide demonstrated significantly greater reduction of erythema and scaling, as evaluated by the study physician, compared with tretinoin 0.025%/erythromycin 4%. Patients judged 3% erythromycin/5% benzoyl peroxide to have a significantly greater effect on redness, dryness, oiliness, and burning. Conclusion: In moderate acne vulgaris, 3% erythromycin/5% benzoyl peroxide may provide a greater beneficial effect than 0.025% tretinoin/erythromycin 4%.

Guest fatman_uk

When i was on this a year an a half ago it only did about 60% of what the 2.5% BP. It made me pretty dry an sore too, like sunburn but not as bad.

I hated the fact that u had to mix it urself (well, i did) coz of it only havin a 3 month expiry date too!

But it was free so i guess it wasnt that bad, lol. Guess it aint for everyone but some that dont get results from BP could defo give it ago, like u sed. :)

-Gaz

I tried this before and it didn't work for me :) I kept breaking out and my face was really red and itchy and inflamed. I dont know why ;):cry:

I used benzamycin for a good few years. It never cleared me up fully but the antibiotics defiantly helped with the cysts i used to get. I would make sure you mosturise cos it can dry the skin out bad, mine got all flakey and stuff.

You can't get it where i live anymore, they completly ran out and wont get anymore, have no idea why.

Adam

Guest fatman_uk

It's in pretty short stock where i live too an they actually ran outta it for about 2 months when i was in the middle of usin it.

Apparently one of the ingredients is some plant found in the amazon rainforest an they didnt have enough of the plant so they broght some back to some labs to grow it themselves rather than risk runnin out of it.

That's what the docs an chemists told me anyhow.

-Gaz