Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beck444

Paula's Choice?

I've been trying to find a good new exfoliater and maybe a cleanser as well and I've heard good things about Paula's Choice. I was thinking of getting the Skin Balancing Cleanser and the 2% BHA Gel...They also sell the 2% BHA in a Lotion and a Liquid, anyone have experiences with these and know which one is best?

I have combination skin but it's mostly just dry in certain areas like my nose and certain parts of my cheeks and forehead. So oil is not too much of a problem. I have been fairly itchy in certain areas too, it's very frustrating and after a few days I see a lot of dead, dry skin building up after I shower and wash my face. I don't have much acne, maybe 1 or 2 active spots at a time but I have a lot of red/brown spots on my cheeks and just generally uneven skin tone and my skin looks and feels unhealthy so I need something to kinda revitalize it and balance it.

I also probably would not exfoliate daily, maybe every 2 or 3 days because that's when I start to see dead skin building up. So are PC products good for exfoliation? And how is the cleanser?

Paula's Choice BHA exfoliants are excellent and work great for most people. I've tried all 3 - the lotion, liquid, and gel - and now I alternate between the liquid and the gel. They all work equally as well, it just depends which consistency works best with your skin type. If you have oily skin, consider the gel or liquid - most people tend to go for the gel.

The Skin Balancing cleanser is great, and it's the one I use now, but I do have to say that my favorite Paula's Choice cleanser is the One Step Face Cleanser for dry skin. The texture is similar to a lightweight lotion and leaves the skin feeling soft with no residue.

The Skin Balancing is creamier and is better able to lather up to a foam, meaning it cleanses the skin more thoroughly than the other cleansers - but it also means it might leave your face feeling a little more dry. Although technically this shouldn't be a problem if you apply an exfoliant or toner after washing, because these will eliminate the dryness that occurs after washing. Since you mentioned you have combination skin, I recommend the One Step cleanser for normal to dry skin.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

i like paulas choice been using her one step cleanser for 2 years probably, the skin balancing cleanser was to driying for me and i have ioly skin

I've been using the one-step cleanser, BHA and Extra Strength Blemish Fighting Solution for months now. Very effective. The one-step face cleanser perfect and doesn't have any negative effects. The BHA and BFS were good, but the only problem with Paula's Choice is that its more expensive, e.g. the 16oz cleanser is €22.5 (£18!).

That's why I'm trying to source ingredients from the UK. I've just ordered Panoxyl 2.5% and some Jojoba oil, which should be interesting :think::)

-AudiTy =o

Thanks for the replies...I am a little hesitant on the One Step Cleanser simply because the ingredients include Sodium Laureth Sulfate and I've heard it's bad for the skin..I don't know how substantial its effects are in this formula though, could be tiny amounts added but if it works well, it works well I guess.

I have a lot of dry, dead skin left over after I exfoliate that sticks to my face with most exfoliaters..I was hoping PC exfoliants are better and lift the dead, dry skin off and it just comes off when you rinse.. I guess maybe I need to exfoliate more often so there isn't such a build up of dry/dead skin but at the same time I've heard exfoliating too often can lead to weaker more sensitive skin down the line..I'm also worried over-exfoliating will bring up pimples to the surface and I'll break out like mad..So I'm kinda stuck here but I've ordered some test samples of a few of her products to give it a shot...

Exfoliating might cause some purging in the beginning for some, but this generally goes away after continual use (anywhere between a couple of days to 1-2 weeks). It is unlikely that it will cause breakouts further down the line because exfoliation helps to prevent that from happening by eliminating the buildup of skin cells. The longer you use the product, the better results you'll see. Also, exfoliation will not make the skin weaker or thinner in the long run -- it will however make it more sensitive to sunlight as new, healthy skin begins to emerge.. so be prepared with a good sunscreen. Here's a thread that goes further into detail.

And regarding Sodium laureth sulfate: http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/art.asp?ID=181. It's pretty much safe to use -- sodium lauryl sulfate is what you'll want to avoid.

is it safe to use the BHA 2% before putting on tretinoin 1%? do i still have to wait some time before applying the tretinoin?

Thanks in advance.

Fiyero: Do you think it's good/safe if I added the PC 2% BHA to my regimen? Which is Dan's BP gel and AHA+ (Night only and nothing in the morning) :think: Thank you!

is it safe to use the BHA 2% before putting on tretinoin 1%? do i still have to wait some time before applying the tretinoin?

Thanks in advance.

Hm, if you're currently using something prescribed by your derm I would check with him first. My first guess would be to skip the BHA for now, since using it combined with tretinoin could cause excess irritation.

Fiyero: Do you think it's good/safe if I added the PC 2% BHA to my regimen? Which is Dan's BP gel and AHA+ (Night only and nothing in the morning) :think: Thank you!

It's very common for someone to alternate using AHA and BHA in their regimen. If your skin reacts well to AHA+, then go ahead and add a BHA product to your regimen. To avoid the risk of skin irritation, use them at different times of the day - one in the morning and the other at night. Also, because you're already using AHA you might want to consider going for 1% BHA as opposed to 2%.

One more thing, are you using sunscreen? you mentioned you're using nothing in the morning.. It's very important to apply sunscreen with SPF15+ when using glycolic acid or any other AHA.

I actually have already bought the 2% one.. I guess I should have bought the 1%.. :doh:

Oh well... I will use it less than the AHA or as a spot treatment (?).. and see how it goes :confused:

Also, if I use the 2% BHA at night, and moisturize with Aveeno Clear Complexion (which has salicylic acid) will it be too much? Because it's the moisturizer I am currently using. (AM/PM)

Yes, I do use a sunscreen. Forgot to mention it. (Aveeno Daily Moisturizer SPF 15)

I actually have already bought the 2% one.. I guess I should have bought the 1%.. :doh:

Oh well... I will use it less than the AHA or as a spot treatment (?).. and see how it goes :confused:

Also, if I use the 2% BHA at night, and moisturize with Aveeno Clear Complexion (which has salicylic acid) will it be too much? Because it's the moisturizer I am currently using. (AM/PM)

Yes, I do use a sunscreen. Forgot to mention it. (Aveeno Daily Moisturizer SPF 15)

You should be fine with the 2%, don't worry. Just remember to watch out for any signs of skin irritation or dryness. I'm not too sure about the moisturizer with salicylic acid.. I actually just read the description and it's supposed to have .5% salicylic acid. Since it's such a small concentration I don't think it'll make that big of a difference, and the risk of irritation will be minimal.

If you have to use a moisturizer, go ahead and try combining both - but if you can, try using the BHA alone just to avoid having two salicylic products on at the same time.

Question about the sunblock, is it needed when using a BHA? I only see sunscreen warnings for AHA's...And also, what's a good light sunscreen that won't make my face oily/shiny looking? Any of the Paula's Choice ones good? I really dislike sunscreen in general, especially when used ONTOP of a bunch of other products. I feel that the more simple the better but if I could find a nice light one and just put a thin layer on I guess I could deal with that..

You should be fine with the 2%, don't worry. Just remember to watch out for any signs of skin irritation or dryness. I'm not too sure about the moisturizer with salicylic acid.. I actually just read the description and it's supposed to have .5% salicylic acid. Since it's such a small concentration I don't think it'll make that big of a difference, and the risk of irritation will be minimal.

If you have to use a moisturizer, go ahead and try combining both - but if you can, try using the BHA alone just to avoid having two salicylic products on at the same time.

Okay! Thank you! :D

Question about the sunblock, is it needed when using a BHA? I only see sunscreen warnings for AHA's...And also, what's a good light sunscreen that won't make my face oily/shiny looking? Any of the Paula's Choice ones good?

Yes, sunscreen is recommended when using BHA as well. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch SPF 30 is a good broad-spectrum sunscreen that can be found in most drugstores. From the Paula's Choice line, my favorites are Skin Balancing Daily Mattifying Lotion SPF 15 and Ultra-Light Weightless Finish SPF 30 Sunscreen Spray.

I am a little concerned about the alcohols in both the cleansers, Stearic and Cetaryl(sp?) and I'm hoping the cleanser doesn't strip the skin of the natural oils. I haven't used a daily cleanser in a while, I've been on the water-only regimen and I just exfoliate 2-3 times a week as needed. My skin isn't too bad at all. Just uneven toned in certain areas and recovering red/brown spots in other areas. Only 1-2 active pimples and they're fairly small and unnoticeable. Cleansers tend to make me overly-oily at times when I use them every day but I'm hoping this cleanser simply balances that and also helps tone my skin and make it more even.

So question, do the alcohols in the cleansers strip the skin of their natural oils or does it keep it hydrated without doing so? Alcohols tend to strip the skin but I don't know the details, maybe the two used in this cleanser are okay. Any input?

I am a little concerned about the alcohols in both the cleansers, Stearic and Cetaryl(sp?) and I'm hoping the cleanser doesn't strip the skin of the natural oils. I haven't used a daily cleanser in a while, I've been on the water-only regimen and I just exfoliate 2-3 times a week as needed. My skin isn't too bad at all. Just uneven toned in certain areas and recovering red/brown spots in other areas. Only 1-2 active pimples and they're fairly small and unnoticeable. Cleansers tend to make me overly-oily at times when I use them every day but I'm hoping this cleanser simply balances that and also helps tone my skin and make it more even.

So question, do the alcohols in the cleansers strip the skin of their natural oils or does it keep it hydrated without doing so? Alcohols tend to strip the skin but I don't know the details, maybe the two used in this cleanser are okay. Any input?

No, these alcohols will not irritate or strip the skin of its oils because they are not related to SD alcohol. Here's the description: cetyl alcohol. Fatty alcohol used as an emollient, emulsifier, thickener, and carrying agent for other ingredients. Can be derived naturally, as in coconut fatty alcohol, or synthetically. It is not an irritant and is not related to sd alcohol or ethyl alcohol. This goes for cetearyl alcohol as well.

Okay, thanks a lot. Appreciate all the input.

I think I'll give the cleanser a shot in a week or so - gonna see how my skin does in the next few days.

I'll probably start using the 2% BHA to exfoliate every 2-3 days after showering and see how it goes. I've been using much harsher exfoliators(like St. Ives which still does the job very well but probably causes irritation too) so it'll be nice to switch to something more mild and at the same time higher quality. I'll keep an update here on how it goes for people thinking of PC products.

Okay, thanks a lot. Appreciate all the input.

I think I'll give the a shot in a week or so - gonna see how my skin does in the next few days.

I'll probably start using the 2% BHA to exfoliate every 2-3 days after showering and see how it goes. I've been using much harsher exfoliators(like St. Ives which still does the job very well but probably causes irritation too) so it'll be nice to switch to something more mild and at the same time higher quality. I'll keep an update here on how it goes for people thinking of PC products.

Good luck, and give it time ;)

-AudiTy =o