Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MashedMelissa

Badly clogged pores

Hi, this is my first post here but i've been lurking for a little while. My main problem is pretty much every single one of my pores on my nose (and surrounding areas going out to cheeks) and chin are always completely full of crap. It looks horrible and makes my pores look huge. I'm 20 and have pretty mild acne that is at its worst around that time of the month.

I do things close to the acne.org regemin with a plain mary kay facewash, proactive repairing lotion with bp, and an MK moisturizer.. but nowhere nere as strict as its supposed to be. I've tried Mary Kay's microderm abrasion but all it did was make the clogs come on the top and i had to scrape them off.. which didnt work too well at all and most of them didnt come up enough to scrape.

Sorry this is so long but I'm really annoyed and grossed out by this.. I can carefully dig them out one by one but it takes forever and is probably not good at all for my face. Are there any suggestions of what I can do to get rid of this clogging?

I've recently heard of a comedone extractor.. but I'm not entirely sure what it does or how it even works.. any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

If you mainly have clogged pores, BP won't do much for you unless it's in high concentrations. And you definitely don't want to spread 10% BP all over your face unless you want a dry, irritated mess. :lol:

What you need is exfoliation. Try using a BHA (salicylic acid) product that is pH-effective. Salicylic acid is oil-soluble and can penetrate the pore, removing oil and dead skin.

Some good BHA products include:

- Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid, gel, or lotion (You can purchase these products at http://www.cosmeticscop.com ) Many people on this board swear by them. They are very well-formulated!

- Neutrogena Acne Stress Control 3-in-1 Hydrating Treatment That's a mouthful, isn't it? :P This is also pH-effective, and it contains green tea extract as well as cucumber extract to soothe inflammation.

- Stridex Triple Action Maximum Strength Pads Only use these if your skin is oily, as they can be drying. This product is pH-effective, however, and it is the only drugstore product that has consistently helped with my clogged pores.

If you wish, you can also combine a BHA with an AHA. An AHA is also an exfoliant that mainly removes dead surface skin cells. The most effective AHA's are lactic and glycolic acids.

Good AHA products include:

- Lac-Hydrin Five moisturizer (contains lactic acid)

- Alpha Hydrox 10% AHA Oil-Free Gel (contains 10% glycolic acid)

- Alpha Hydrox AHA Souffle (contains 12% glycolic acid)

- Dan's AHA+ (contains 10% AHA) I've heard it's amazing stuff!!

If you still find that your pores are still clogged after using BHA and AHA for a while, you may want to look into a retinoid. People on this board have had good results with products such as Diacneal and Green Cream. However, these are very strong products, so use them as a last resort.

Hope I helped! :D And good luck!

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely see what I can get my hands on around here.

If I start using something with the BHA should I stop with the BP? My face is really stupid, it is really oily but it also get quite flaky and dry which doesnt make much sense haha.

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely see what I can get my hands on around here.

If I start using something with the BHA should I stop with the BP? My face is really stupid, it is really oily but it also get quite flaky and dry which doesnt make much sense haha.

Haha believe me, I know how you feel! :P It sounds like your skin is very dehydrated like mine used to be. My skin would flip-flop throughout the day. It would be a desert until noon, and then it would become an oil slick. Exfoliation and drinking a lot of water helped tremendously with that though!

And yes, with your skin's condition, I wouldn't suggest using BP with BHA. It could cause a lot of unnecessary irritation. I sometimes use BP as a spot treatment for hormonal pimples, but only because I know that my skin can tolerate it now. Back when I had oily/flaky skin, I couldn't use BP at all because my skin was so dehydrated and worn down.

So for now, be careful! :)

For me, constantly cleansing my pores and applying salycylic acid seems to make the cloggage come back faster. What I mean is when I do this cycle for a week or 2, and if I stop for one day, the cloggage is back later that day.

So I ask you, and please be honest, if I continue to do this... for months, will the cloggage ever slow down? because if it slows down, then atleast I know one day, it can slow down to the point of barely being clogged and then to no cloggage, eh well that seems to good to be true.

How is a topical supposed to tell the mind to stop producing so much sebum? How can it tell it to slow it down? it just makes no sense.

For me, constantly cleansing my pores and applying salycylic acid seems to make the cloggage come back faster. What I mean is when I do this cycle for a week or 2, and if I stop for one day, the cloggage is back later that day.

So I ask you, and please be honest, if I continue to do this... for months, will the cloggage ever slow down? because if it slows down, then atleast I know one day, it can slow down to the point of barely being clogged and then to no cloggage, eh well that seems to good to be true.

How is a topical supposed to tell the mind to stop producing so much sebum? How can it tell it to slow it down? it just makes no sense.

According to dermatologists, pores become clogged due to a flaw in the skin's exfoliation process. This can be caused by many factors such as abrasive scrubs, hormones, and simply genetics. Once the pore lining is damaged, the pore can become clogged much more easily. Topical exfoliants -- especially salicylic acid and mandelic acid -- help the skin repair its pore lining and allow for steady oil flow out of the pore, thus resulting in fewer clogged pores.

Also, a topical does not "tell" the body to produce less sebum. The body produces a steady flow of sebum throughout one's lifetime. ("bryan" is a big preacher of this.) The amount of sebum production depends largely on hormones, especially androgens. Topical exfoliants help control surface oils by removing plugs of dead skin cells.

Unfortunately, salicylic acid may not work for everyone. It has worked for me tremendously, but I'm just one person out of very many. It doesn't work overnight. You've got to give it time, and you've got to use it faithfully. (Unfortunately, your skin will revert back to its original state if you stop using AHA's or BHA religiously.) If you see no improvement within a few months with salicylic acid, however, you may want to switch over to a retinoid.

Hope I helped clear things up! :D

If your pores look really large, you might also look into mandelic acid products. Mandelic exfoliates both the pores and the surface of the skin, is antibacterial, and has a skin-tightening effect. I like Vivant (www.betterhealthyskin.com) and a lot of people also like the NuCelle line.

Green Cream and Diacneal, while active products, are actually not all that strong. They are far milder and less irritating than prescription retinoids such as Retin A, Tazorac, etc. Green Cream comes in several levels: 3, for sensitive skin, 6, for normal skin, and 9, for people whose skin is fully adjusted to Level 6 and want something stronger. If you want more info you can PM me, I've used GC for years.

But it's true that no topical is going to affect the sebum flow. The best you can hope for is to prevent the pores from becoming blocked, and improve the overall quality and texture of your skin. So far as I know, only Accutane interferes with sebum production.

As for the BP, hang on to it if you need to spot treat inflamed pimples ... but don't use it all over your face. It's not going to help your pores, and it's extremely drying.

Nah, you need 2%.

I strongly suggest you get a prescription for a retinoid-derivative right away. Your blackhead problem may permanently ruin your skin and they are considered to be the most effective treatment for that condition. They are not at all harsh as long as you moisturize properly. They come, of course, in different strengths too.

Well they arent really blackheads... just plain colored crap in there. I really doubt I can afford a prescription. Are they super expensive?

I have the same problem with my chin- it's just gunk in my pores, some of which is easy to scrape off, but it still comes back. I've tried both SA and glycolic but neither seem to help that much. I've had the problem for years and my pores in the chin still seem fine.

Hi, this is my first post here but i've been lurking for a little while. My main problem is pretty much every single one of my pores on my nose (and surrounding areas going out to cheeks) and chin are always completely full of crap. It looks horrible and makes my pores look huge. I'm 20 and have pretty mild acne that is at its worst around that time of the month.

I do things close to the acne.org regemin with a plain mary kay facewash, proactive repairing lotion with bp, and an MK moisturizer.. but nowhere nere as strict as its supposed to be. I've tried Mary Kay's microderm abrasion but all it did was make the clogs come on the top and i had to scrape them off.. which didnt work too well at all and most of them didnt come up enough to scrape.

Sorry this is so long but I'm really annoyed and grossed out by this.. I can carefully dig them out one by one but it takes forever and is probably not good at all for my face. Are there any suggestions of what I can do to get rid of this clogging?

I've recently heard of a comedone extractor.. but I'm not entirely sure what it does or how it even works.. any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

I'm in the same exact situation. On my nose and sides of my nose they look like they are full of junk. If I squeeze my nose stuff comes out, but it just fills right back up in no time whatsoever.

I've tried putting AHA on my nose every night, but it hasn't done anything to help. Nose strip appear to take a bunch of junk out, but again it's back the next day. I've tried clay masks and it's the same as nose strips.

I'm considering the SA products you've all mentioned above. Should I use the treatment or pads? When should I use it? Periodically throughout the day (pads) or just in the morning or night?

I'm considering doing SA at night and BP in the morning because currently I usually only do BP in the morning anyways.

What do you guys think? Have you made any progress with this Melissa?

I'm in the same exact situation. On my nose and sides of my nose they look like they are full of junk. If I squeeze my nose stuff comes out, but it just fills right back up in no time whatsoever.

I've tried putting AHA on my nose every night, but it hasn't done anything to help. Nose strip appear to take a bunch of junk out, but again it's back the next day. I've tried clay masks and it's the same as nose strips.

I'm considering the SA products you've all mentioned above. Should I use the treatment or pads? When should I use it? Periodically throughout the day (pads) or just in the morning or night?

I'm considering doing SA at night and BP in the morning because currently I usually only do BP in the morning anyways.

What do you guys think? Have you made any progress with this Melissa?

Well I am using the neutrogena toner with 2% saylic acid once a day and I've stopped with the BP. To tell you the truth I think my face has gotten worse.. Its been a few weeks of using now and I have a lot more pimples and I'm a lot more greasy for some reason.. and the crap in my pores still remains. Soon I am going to get some of the AHA souffle stuff and see how that works out.. I'll keep you updated!