Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Prixton

1 Large Painful Cyst -- Best Remedy?

I don't usually get cystic acne (I get about 1-2 large cysts per year, most of the time I just have a lot of little red bumps and whiteheads), but when I do get a cyst it is always freaking HUGE! I have a cyst right now that literally has taken over more than 85% of my chin; yes, my ENTIRE CHIN is one giant zit right now, and it is really scary and very painful. It has been growing pretty steadily since I noticed it about 3 days ago, and I'm unsure of what to do. I follow Dan's regimen (BP twice a day, etc) to a T and I eat healthy, drink lots of water, get plenty of fiber take EFAs and so forth.

The point of this post though, is what can I do now to get rid of this cyst on my chin? So far, in addition to putting Dans BP on it twice daily, I have put some 2% salicylic acid on it, tried icing it down, and have zapped it several times with my lumiport light saber thing; and despite these measures it has continued to grow every day. I have heard of people using aspirin masks for swelling -- do you think if I put some "aspirin paste" (crushed aspirin tablets and water) on it that it would help?? I've also heard if you take NSAIDs internally (such as ibuprofen/advil), that it can help reduce swelling but I kind of feel like that isn't the most "holistic" approach I can take (however if you all think that will be beneficial I can try it). I was contemplating getting a cortisone injection, but I don't really have the $ for doctors fees right now (my insurance coverage is quite minimal; at the very least I'd have to pay a $30 copay, but I am sure it would end up costing more than that in the end).

So, I guess #1: If using a topical treatment for cysts, which is better: 2% salicylic acid or 10% benzoyl peroxide?

#2: Do you think an aspirin mask will help?

#3: Do you think taking aspirin/advil internally will help?

#4: Is there any other inexpensive short term treatment you can recommend to get this cyst to stop growing/go away??

Thank you!!

You might need to go to a derm or general practitioner...something that large may need to be incised and drained in a sterile environment to enable it to heal. In the interim, you could try the suggestions in the last link of my signature.

Hiya,

I feel for you as i am the same, i have a cyst right now on my chin and am very freaked out, and now have a second lump come up next to it! I am stopping in the house today to avoid people seeing my face :(

I tried the asprin mask last night and it didnt really do much for my cyst, it dried the skin on the top so now its more like a huge scab!!

I have found asprin masks to be really good on pimples, it dries them up and helps clear them but i wont be putting it on a cyst again!

I have taken ibuprofen but i cant see any difference really.

Maybe as you say its so big, it might be best to see a doctor, he might be able to give you something stronger to help reduce the swelling from the inside?

Sorry i'm not much help, hope you get sorted very soon!

You might need to go to a derm or general practitioner...something that large may need to be incised and drained in a sterile environment to enable it to heal. In the interim, you could try the suggestions in the last link of my signature.

Totally agreed with what he said. I say you do that cause nothing else will leviate the pain and the embarassment you're going through. I'm pretty sure putting BP will make your spots even more redish..... icing would be the best temporary way. See your Derm ASAP.

You could try taking a clean flannel, soaking it in really hot water then placing it against the cyst for about 5-10 mins.

Apparently this enables the crap inside the cyst to liquidfy & drain away. I tried it with reasonable success with a cyst on my chin once :cool:

Just jab a needle under your skin and drain it yourself. Then put polysporin on top, so it will go down the hole and kill the bacteria inside. I used to do it all the time before Accutane.

I have one of these cysts on the side of my face right infront of my right ear and it is extremely painful!!!! I've had it for about 2 weeks now and it isn't getting any better. I was at the doctor on Monday, he drained what he could out of it. It wasn't as much as he wanted to get out but he said it was really thick. He put me on antibiotics for 10 days and said that should take care of it. Im now on day 7 of antibiotics and this thing is larger than when i went to have it looked at. I was able to puncture it today in the same spot the doctor had. I got more blood than anything. It shrunk down to about 30% of the size it was for about 10 minutes. I don't know if it filled back up with fluid or what. Im afraid im just getting blood out though and not the actual bacteria. I have a hot damp cloth on it now and hopefully by tonight i will be able to get more out :(

I am going to try warm compresses on mine once i get into the shower and some sea salt/water to see if i can get mine to come to a head... if i do get it to come to a head then its going to get popped and i will put neosporin on it before bed.

Id say try warm compresses and maybe some water and sea salt! Good luck to you guys... it sucks having these.

Does anyone know if these things will EVENTUALLY go away on their own?!?!? I've never had one before, and hopefully never get one again. This is so painful, not to mention I haven't slept good in 2 weeks because of it. :cry:

A large painful cyst... oh yeah, my mom saw me crying the night I felt desperate with two large cysts - one being larger than the other.

Neither were poppable for about a month. so I never attempted anything brutal on them in the beginning. I just kept on washing my face with tea tree oil face wash, putting on the bentononite clay mixed with apple cider vinegar, and aloe vera gel. All three products combined to exfolliate the skin around each cyst.

The smaller one finally popped on its own and drained. The second one - I had to create a hole to drain and while it did not drain completely - it did heal over time with the products I use as well as jojoba oil and witch hazel.

I still have cysts but tiny ones and it always amaes me how even very tiny cysts are painful to the touch.

There are several masks described in the Acne No More Regimen. I haven't tried any of these except bentonite clay... I will post them as a new topic and maybe you can find some use from them for cysts - share your experience with them.

I've started putting an epsom salt solution on mine...I put a little epsom salt in a cup and add some hot water then swirl it around until most of it dissolves, then apply this to the cyst with a cotton ball...I keep the cotton ball on there several seconds for really bad ones. I've been doing this the past few weeks and it seems to really help them heal a lot quicker.