Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've heard tea tree oil is a good natural spot treatment for someone with sensitive skin. I just wanted to know what brands of tea tree oil are good and where can I buy some? What kind of results have you guys seen if you've used it?

Thanks!

tea tree oil is good too use, but not too often. It can be a little irritating after a while, and your skin may turn red. But it is a great antiseptic treatment and really good at killing bacteria. it may sting a bit, but that's because its doing its job lol.

The brand i use is whatever i find at the health food store, but its ususally from Natures Harmony, and its called Treemenda 100%.

I got mine at a heath foods store. I heard lots of good things and wanted it to work, but I didn't see any improvement. I was left with a terrible smell. (the stuff smells horrid)

I usually get mine at Walmart, though I haven't been seeing my local one stocking it lately, rather sad.

Target sells it, I imagine health stores would sell it.

Where exactly in Target do they sell Tea Tree Oil? I've only seen the Burt's Bees Herbal Blemish Sticks, which contain Tea Tree Oil. Is that what you guys are referring to?

I'd like something bigger than that. :(

I went to Walmart and I didn't see it there, I will try Trader Joe's although i'm not sure if there is one around where I live. If all else fails I'll spend the extra cash at the Body shop. I'm definitely going to dilute it though my skin is sensitive, but I'm need to use something because the acne keeps coming but it is too sensitive to BP and SA :(

Thanks everyone for the posts!

Where exactly in Target do they sell Tea Tree Oil? I've only seen the Burt's Bees Herbal Blemish Sticks, which contain Tea Tree Oil. Is that what you guys are referring to?

I'd like something bigger than that. :(

It's usually around the medicine/cosmetics depending on the store.

I went to Walmart and I didn't see it there, I will try Trader Joe's although i'm not sure if there is one around where I live. If all else fails I'll spend the extra cash at the Body shop. I'm definitely going to dilute it though my skin is sensitive, but I'm need to use something because the acne keeps coming but it is too sensitive to BP and SA :(

Thanks everyone for the posts!

Hm? None at your Walmart either? Well, I just hope they didn't quit stocking it.

Maybe try looking at a drugstore or something that's near by? You can just ask someone if they carry it and usually they will know.

I use tea tree oil extensively (my skin *hates* BP and all the washing you need to do with that).

You *have* to dilute it 10:1 with some kind of face cream or oil or something for best results. Water is not good, it doesn't dissolve, and it didn't work as well when I tried it and others found the same. Most people can't take 100% strength. Diluting it in face cream gives controlled diffusion into your skin and pores and kills the bacteria just fine, while keeping the concentration at one your skin can handle, and so it is much cheaper and easier on your skin and works *better*.

Anywhere between about 5:1 and 20:1 should work, but I usually use about 10:1. If you go below 20:1 strength studies show it doesn't kill all the bugs. above about 5:1 the chances of irritating your skin go up (some people can take 100% strength, but I think they'd still be better off with 10:1).

All I do is pour say 10ml on top of a 100ml tub of non comedogenic face cream and stir it well in with a clean stirrer. Then I just slap it on twice a day.

Works.

It's a bit counterintuitive using face cream on acne, but the tea tree oil seems to dry the skin out a bit and then the face cream cancels that out- the net effect is that the skin normalises if anything.

I use tea tree oil extensively (my skin *hates* BP and all the washing you need to do with that).

You *have* to dilute it 10:1 with some kind of face cream or oil or something for best results. Water is not good, it doesn't dissolve, and it didn't work as well when I tried it and others found the same. Most people can't take 100% strength. Diluting it in face cream gives controlled diffusion into your skin and pores and kills the bacteria just fine, while keeping the concentration at one your skin can handle, and so it is much cheaper and easier on your skin and works *better*.

Anywhere between about 5:1 and 20:1 should work, but I usually use about 10:1. If you go below 20:1 strength studies show it doesn't kill all the bugs. above about 5:1 the chances of irritating your skin go up (some people can take 100% strength, but I think they'd still be better off with 10:1).

All I do is pour say 10ml on top of a 100ml tub of non comedogenic face cream and stir it well in with a clean stirrer. Then I just slap it on twice a day.

Works.

It's a bit counterintuitive using face cream on acne, but the tea tree oil seems to dry the skin out a bit and then the face cream cancels that out- the net effect is that the skin normalises if anything.

Is it ok to apply it in unaffected areas as well?

I have read a lot of European posts on tea tree and palmarosa oil. They seemed to find that palmarosa oil worked better for a spot treatment.

I sometimes mix a drop of palmarosa oil in jojoba oil for an evening moisturizer and i find it really clarifies the complexion.

Both palmarosa or tea tree essential oils can be found at a health food store.

Guest missyjean130

100% tea tree should just be left as a spot treatment. If you want to put it all over...dillute it!

It doesn't smell bad...it smells sort of like Eucalyptus!

I use Gaia Herb's oil...but theres lots of products with tea tree in it! Desert essance(sp?) cleanser has it...Burts bees has a spot treatment with it...Kiss My Face has a really nice face mask with it...etc

If you have an organic store near you,they'll have plenty of items with it!

DDF's has a 5% BP that contains Tea Tree Oil, seems to help me, I think I've been using too much causing my skin to dry, so using less frequently and cutting down on amount.