Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skalor

Advice Needed :)

Hey, my name is Matty i'm new to this forum :), I am 18, 19 in September, and my acne started in March 2007 (I just checked old photos of myself to proove the date.)

Photos of my face are attached below :)

I can't remember when, but late last year I went to the Doctor who gave me 2 bottles of Benzoyl Peroxide. I used them as described and the bottles lasted me about 2 Months. When the bottles were done I could barely see a difference, if any. Because of this I just said to myself 'Ah ill stick it out until my body sorts it' because for 70% of Teenagers it's meant to sort itself out in the end?

Well im off to university next year, so I kinda want to step up the appearance a notch, personally it doesn't bother me too much, but I know a gf probably would want me to sort it :P.

One thing i've noticed, is that this 'acne' started just when I began to need a shave, now im regularly shaving, recently theres hair starting to appear on my neck, and below my earlobe, after shaving those area, the acne is appearing there too? As a side note, my skin isn't oily.

What advice can you give? Any suggestions, links, pictures are appreciated. Thanks a lot! :)

post-79401-1215649543_thumb.jpg

post-79401-1215649555_thumb.jpg

post-79401-1215649543_thumb.jpg

post-79401-1215649555_thumb.jpg

Hi Skalor and welcome!

I think you might benefit first from Dan's shaving advice and videos.

Check 'em out:

http://www.acne.org/faq.html#shave

http://www.acne.org/guide-to-shaving.html

And your acne looks mild/moderate so I think the Regimen could definitely work for you.

http://www.acne.org/regimen.html

I hope that helps and holler out if you need help. :)

Thanks for your speed and efficiency! I never realised this site had all this to it!

Another question. Once your acne is gone, can it come back? I googled it and people say yes it can. What would i need to keep applying to make sure it doesn't come back, just the cleanser or the moisturiser or both?

EDIT: HAHA I Just realised I misread the shop. The Big Pack does last you the 3-4 Months. I got mislead by the image of 3 bottles haha. Well that's made me a lot happier, so the following is really irrelevant now haha:

I'm interested going through with the Regimen, however.

Its says the big pack of 3 16oz bottles lasts 3-4 Months, but when you check each individual bottle it says the bottle will last 1month. So basically the '3-4 Months' is totalling the month of each bottle, not how long your regimen can last with those 3 bottles. Slightly misleading?

Just so you know im British. So now i've realised, that set will last me 1-2 months at the cost of $60 + $40 Shipping to UK. Ok you can add more without the shipping going up. So say I go for 3 packs, thats $180 + $40 = $220 (£110) for 3-5 Months of Regimen (thats without Tax). For someone who is 18 years old, is a big blow the pocket when your earning next to nothing.

I know Dan has done a lot to make this cheaper but this still blows a hole im my pocket :( I will have to speak about this with parents. I can get BP free from my Doctor again most likely, so might be worth giving that a shot. But still the other parts of the regimen still make it costly.

Edit2: So because im paying $40 for shipping, you think its worth buying 2 big sets to last me 6-8Months so I can save a little on shipping. Maybe even 3 sets?

Thanks a lot for your time! :)

hey, just curious, what was your 'regimen' when you used the bp before? im surprised you didnt see any improvement. how many times were you using it a day and were you using scrubs/thick moisturisers etc?

hey, just curious, what was your 'regimen' when you used the bp before? im surprised you didnt see any improvement. how many times were you using it a day and were you using scrubs/thick moisturisers etc?

I did it once a day at night, like the doctor told me. I didn't use any moisturisers because the doctor didn't mention any of that and I had never used or really heard much about them before.

This regimen is more detailed and thorough so I have a lot more confidence in it :)

What was the concentration of the BP (e.g., 2.5%, 5%, etc)? And since you didn't use moisturizers did you have dry, flaky, blotchy, and/or irritated skin?

What was the concentration of the BP (e.g., 2.5%, 5%, etc)? And since you didn't use moisturizers did you have dry, flaky, blotchy, and/or irritated skin?

I think it was 2.5% but I could be wrong. My face was a bit irritated after use, but I just accepted that. I didn't really notice it had a negative effect on my face, and I was using less then this Regimen states.

If you can find local products that are similar, you can still do the Regimen. We have a list of UK products that you could use, if that would save you a bit of money.

Yeah I already found this Brandy, I've worked out the costs and to be honest I think I still get more for my money using Dan's products. If I buy the Starter Kits, they are $34 + $18 Postage and I wont get taxed. However with the big kit it's $60 + $40 + Tax, and that Tax makes it more expensive then the Starter Kits. I feel safer sticking to Dan's anyways, just because I know it works it's all from the same place (less effort).

Brandy what question I do have, is what stuff should I be using once the Acne is gone, like what will prevent it coming back? Just the cleanser? Just the moisturiser? Both? The Regimen forever?

Thanks for the help.

If the regimen clears your acne then you will need to continue doing it to keep your face clear. Just experiment every so often and take a couple days off and if a couple of bumps start forming, then get right back to it. It will always come back until it goes away on its own.

Hi,

"...after shaving those area, the acne is appearing there too"

Dude I would stop shaving your skin for a while and see if it clears up. Your skin is sensitive, so dragging a blade accross is only going to create further problems and infections.

If your skin responds well then try just trimming the hair (hair trimmer) rather than going for a close shave all the time.

all the best with treatment

Hi,

"...after shaving those area, the acne is appearing there too"

Dude I would stop shaving your skin for a while and see if it clears up. Your skin is sensitive, so dragging a blade accross is only going to create further problems and infections.

If your skin responds well then try just trimming the hair (hair trimmer) rather than going for a close shave all the time.

all the best with treatment

Thanks.

Thing is, I can't stop shaving! I'd rather have Acne and no beard, then a beard and no acne.

Hair Trimmer? Isn't that for your hair, not your beard? How much hair will it leave?

You may want to look into different shaving creams and a different razor.

Im planning on getting the 'Gillette SensorExcel Razor', you think that will be better for my acne then using an Electric shaver?

I must admit, the electric shaver hurts a bit. So I guess can't be much worse?