Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
help3

I'm scared BP causes cancer..

He there..

i'm using the regimen for over 1 and half year now... And it works, wohoo! (only with 5% btw)

I've been using a LOT 5% BP lately... And i'm just scared that it causes cancer..

Can someone calm me down with some proof or something that it doesn't?

thnx..

(btw, i've looked at the FAQS already, I just want to see more proof..)

The following text is from a 1995 PUBMED article...it's a summary of BP studies and puts things in perspective....I don't know if more recent studies have shown a different result, but I haven't seen any...

Topical benzoyl peroxide has been used in the treatment of acne for over 30 years, with no reports of adverse effects that could be related to skin carcinogenesis. Two case-control epidemiological studies have found a lack of association between the specific use of benzoyl peroxide and skin cancer. In addition to these findings in humans, 23 carcinogenicity studies in rodents with benzoyl peroxide, including 16 employing topical application, have yielded negative results. An increase in skin carcinomas was reported in 1 study in which benzoyl peroxide in acetone was applied to the skin of SENCAR mice for a 1-year period; however, this study did not employ adequate control groups to fully understand the unusual findings, and the results were inconsistent with those of 6 other similar studies. While benzoyl peroxide is not a complete carcinogen in animals and has weak or no mutagenic potential, it has been found to be a tumor promoter in mouse skin using experimental two-stage models of carcinogenesis. Consistently positive results have been obtained in tumor promotion studies in which SENCAR mice were exposed to initiating doses of potent experimental carcinogens followed by promotion with benzoyl peroxide in acetone. Negative results have been obtained in similar studies with commercial formulations. However, the results of promotion studies with benzoyl peroxide do not carry significant weight for human safety assessment as evidenced by (i) the absence of demonstrated carcinogenicity in humans of a number of rodent tumor promoters despite long-term human exposure; (ii) the observation that tumor promotion in mouse skin occurs only under specific experimental conditions and predominantly in highly sensitive strains; (iii) clinical use scenarios markedly different from the conditions resulting in tumor promotion in mouse skin; and (iv) the significant physiological differences between mouse and human skin. Thus, to date, available scientific evidence does not allow the results of these rodent promotion studies to be meaningfully applied to human safety assessment. As such, significant scientific progress must be made before human safety estimations can be derived from rodent promotion data.

Tell you what, come to me with some proof that it does, then I'll at least understand why you're worried.

You've not even stated how this strange belief come about. If I were you, I'd be more worried as to why I was obsessing about BP causing cancer. You'll end up with OCD :P

Hey I was worried too about the same thing when I first started the regimen, so I made sure and I emailed two dermatologist in my local area. And these are copied directly from my email inbox..

Reply from Dermatologist # 1

"it's safe and doesn't cause skin cancer"

Reply from Dermatologist # 2

"Benzoyl Peroixide is not bad for your skin. And it is safe to use, and does not cause skin cancer. If it doesn't help see a dermatologist as there are a lots of other good therapies for acne."

After this, I felt more comfortable to use Dan's BP. I have pretty light acne, so when I fully cleared up and I am going to use Dan's AHA and hopefully remain clear.

He guys,

Thank you for posting those articles! Let me explain to you why i'm worried..

As i said, lately i'm using a lot of BP. And the last 2/3 days i have this HUGEE pain inside my chin (the only place where i put BP, and have big acne)...

The pain doesn't feel like a pimple ( and i know how a pimple feels like :S), it's like inside my chin, and it feels like something is compressed or something.. The pain moves from my chin to my ears and i have this big headache because of it..

Now ofcouse that has nothing to do with cancer, but it just made me think and check some things out on the internet.. and I saw this site:

http://www.absoluteacneinfo.com/benzoyl-pe...benzoyl-15.html

and

http://books.google.nl/books?id=Yj4EJtyVgl...7&ct=result

Just 2 examples...

Does someone know what to do? I don't want to stop using BP, because i'll get pimples all over the place! But this pain is killing me!

Now ofcouse that has nothing to do with cancer, but it just made me think and check some things out on the internet.. and I saw this site:

and

Just 2 examples...

Does someone know what to do? I don't want to stop using BP, because i'll get pimples all over the place! But this pain is killing me!

That first site is trying to sell you an ebook about clearing acne naturally. It also recommends not eating breakfast for some reason. The really strange thing is that the very same site contradicts itself on BP, see here:

Of all the products currently on the market to treat acne, benzoyl peroxide appears to cause the least amount of side effects, particularly over a long period of time. Not only does benzoyl peroxide lack the incidence of long term side effects but it also does not have the tendency to create drug resistance; which can happen in many antibiotic acne treatments. In fact, research has indicated that when combined with benzoyl peroxide treatments, the tendency of drug resistance related to antibiotic acne treatments can actually be reduced.

At this time the only side effects that appear to be related to the use of benzoyl peroxide are some crusting and blistering of the skin as well as a tendency for discoloration of hair and fabrics to occur, when the product comes into contact with these items. Due to the fact that benzoyl peroxide does actually generate free radicals, there has been some concern that use of this product would lead to the development of skin cancer.

Research has currently indicated that the only risk associated with the use of benzoyl peroxide is an increased sensitivity to sunlight; which can be treated with use of a good quality sun block. A study conducted in 1991 by the University of Miami concluded that there was no increased risk for skin cancer related to the use of benzoyl peroxide as an acne treatment. The major risk factors determined by this survey were family history of skin cancer, light skin and specific nationality of the mothers of those surveyed.

The second link is interesting and I wish I could see more of the book on the Google preview. I want to see which studies are cited and what the author concludes. Anyone who lives near a medical school library might try looking :)

He guys,

Thank you for posting those articles! Let me explain to you why i'm worried..

As i said, lately i'm using a lot of BP. And the last 2/3 days i have this HUGEE pain inside my chin (the only place where i put BP, and have big acne)...

The pain doesn't feel like a pimple ( and i know how a pimple feels like :S), it's like inside my chin, and it feels like something is compressed or something.. The pain moves from my chin to my ears and i have this big headache because of it..

and

Just 2 examples...

Here are a list of signs and symptoms of early skin cancer:

What are the signs and symptoms of skin cancer? Skin cancer can be found early, and both doctors and patients play important roles in finding skin cancer. If you have any of the following symptoms, tell your doctor.

• any change on the skin, especially in the size or color of a mole or other darkly pigmented growth or spot, or a new growth
  • scaliness, oozing, bleeding, or change in the appearance of a bump or nodule
  • the spread of pigmentation beyond its border such as dark coloring that spreads past the edge of a mole or mark
  • a change in sensation, itchiness, tenderness, or pain

I got it from here:

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/...Skin_Cancer.asp

If you are really that worried, why don't you schedule a visit with a derm to have it checked out? You can also bring up your concerns about BP to her/him and see what s/he thinks.

To me, it sounds like you might be getting a cyst in that spot.

I feel the same as you and although I’ve ordered Dan’s line I use the cleanser and moisturizer and have yet to use the treatment since I realize that although I know it will work I’m scared to use it. The research is conflicting so I just stay away from it.

ok, so im going to start using Amoxy morning and night.

then im going to use clindamycin morning and night. and at night im going to use differin.

i have mild-moderate acne. does anyone want to tell me if it will work or not. initial breakout will be fine, but im looking for something that will clear within 2 months.

thanks, im going to look up and keep a good attitude for it. please reply or create an account so you can reply to my post.

ok, so im going to start using Amoxy morning and night.

then im going to use clindamycin morning and night. and at night im going to use differin.

i have mild-moderate acne. does anyone want to tell me if it will work or not. initial breakout will be fine, but im looking for something that will clear within 2 months.

thanks, im going to look up and keep a good attitude for it. please reply or create an account so you can reply to my post.

Did you mean to post this somewhere else, as it doesn't pertain to the orginal topic.

Take into account the thousands of people on this message board who have used it and are still using it, myself included, with no skin cancer.

That's proof enough for me. Besides, the sun causes skin cancer, but are people nocturnal because of it? No..only vampires.