Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
justagrl

Is this severe acne?

Can anyone tell me if this would be considered "severe" acne? To ME it feels severe, but I've been told I overreact a lot and am just being "vain", so I just don't know. I can't get in to see a dermatologist until late October. I have an appointment with my GP early next week. Is this considered Accutane-worthy, or do you think they will try antibiotics or birth control pills first? I've never tried either of those for my acne; only topicals. I've been using Dan's regimen for the past 3 1/2 weeks. I was using AcneFree Severe before that. I've always considered myself as having moderate acne, but in the past couple of months, it has transformed into this. :( Any help/advice would be appreciated.

post-78135-1215616489_thumb.jpg

post-78135-1215616489_thumb.jpg

i would say its moderate. dont try to treat this on ur own with products like acne-free. go the dermatologist asap, but try to find a good one. they'll definitely help a lot more than products in the store. i wish you all the best. once u start treatment, have patience, because it will definitely get better!

I would also consider it moderate because although widespread, the individual zits are tiny compared to the bumps and swellings a person such as myself with severe acne develops.

Thanks for the input. I think I may have some cysts/nodules, but I'm just not sure if that's what they are. If I press on some areas of my face, I can feel large fluid-filled lumps underneath my skin. Luckily (I guess), they seem to spread out across my face versus creating huge isolated bumps. Some of those areas that look like a bunch of zits bunched together actually have what I call a cyst underneath them. I guess the doctor will let me know exactly what it is that I'm dealing with.

Just an update... my GP took one look at my face (didn't even touch it) and said I need Accutane. She said it is cystic and is scarring. Unfortunately, she can't prescribe it, but she was able to get my late-October derm appointment bumped up to early August. She didn't give me anything in the mean time... said I would just be wasting my time and money to try anything else. She actually suggested I stop doing everything I'm currently doing, but that freaked me out because the benzoyl peroxide is currently keeping my forehead at least clear. So she said I could keep using that, but to stop taking all of the supplements I was taking (vitamins, zinc, fish oil, probiotics).

Just an update... my GP took one look at my face (didn't even touch it) and said I need Accutane. She said it is cystic and is scarring. Unfortunately, she can't prescribe it, but she was able to get my late-October derm appointment bumped up to early August. She didn't give me anything in the mean time... said I would just be wasting my time and money to try anything else. She actually suggested I stop doing everything I'm currently doing, but that freaked me out because the benzoyl peroxide is currently keeping my forehead at least clear. So she said I could keep using that, but to stop taking all of the supplements I was taking (vitamins, zinc, fish oil, probiotics).

I woul continue taking zinc + fish oil if i were you :)

Yeah, I also think it's odd that she is so against any sort of vitamins or supplements, yet didn't bat an eye at saying I should take Accutane!! LOL! My husband said she's always telling him not to take supplements either. She thinks that you should be able to get all of the vitamins and minerals your body needs through your diet alone. I think she also thinks that since my acne has gotten substantially worse just over the past 2 months that it might be something I'm using that is doing it. But I started the zinc and fish oil AFTER it was already bad, so I don't think that's it.

In my opinion, that is between moderate and severe. I'd lean more towards severe. In any case, best to bring out the big guns early, before you develop any scarring/red marks. I wasn't so lucky, thought my acne wasn't so severe, then got more severe, and now I have to do laser treatments and all that jazz.

Yeah, I also think it's odd that she is so against any sort of vitamins or supplements, yet didn't bat an eye at saying I should take Accutane!! LOL! My husband said she's always telling him not to take supplements either. She thinks that you should be able to get all of the vitamins and minerals your body needs through your diet alone. I think she also thinks that since my acne has gotten substantially worse just over the past 2 months that it might be something I'm using that is doing it. But I started the zinc and fish oil AFTER it was already bad, so I don't think that's it.

you should listen to your doctor and not try to only follow bits and pieces of the advice :P

to some of the others here, why is it that you'll go to and pay for a doctor/derm but not follow their instructions and instead listen to non-doctors on this forum? :P

Good luck with the accutane, I know waiting to get it sucks.

The worst part is knowing you can't do anything to hold the acne back until you get it, which is usually a few months.

From what you showed us and according to Habif (2004), I'd say moderate.

Has anyone posted this before?

post-79709-1216268118_thumb.jpg

post-79709-1216268118_thumb.jpg

In my opinion, that is between moderate and severe. I'd lean more towards severe. In any case, best to bring out the big guns early, before you develop any scarring/red marks. I wasn't so lucky, thought my acne wasn't so severe, then got more severe, and now I have to do laser treatments and all that jazz.

Well, apparently a lot of those marks in that picture are scars according to my doctor. Some of them (like that big mess on my upper cheek) have been there for a month now. I thought it would eventually go away, but it sounds like it won't, which was very disheartening to me. I have VERY pale skin, so any little red mark or scar stands out a lot. (My skin looks a little more tanned/ sunburned in this pic thanks to all the BP.) How are the laser treatments working for you? Scars would not bother me so much if they weren't so unbelievably red/purple in certain lighting! Does the color of them eventually fade at least? Or am I pretty much stuck with this look for the rest of my life? In the past, my acne would leave a red mark that would slowly fade over the weeks/ months. But some of these don't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon.

accutane sucks! it made my acne worse. For six months i was so broken out i didnt want to go outside my house. Every pore on my face was a zit. I was dry, cracking and bleeding. my eyes were blood shot and i had to carry lotion and ointment with me 24/7. my dermatologist also was an idiot and didnt tell me how severe it would be. Accutane does work for some people, it worked for my friend. But the side effects are extreme so be prepared for a long ride.

Hey! I had acne kinda similar to yours and Accutane worked very well the both times I took it (I was clear for 2 years after the first course) so I hope it works as well for you. Good luck! :]

first of all, I have super fair skin too, redhead, and it's horrible that every tiny scar looks bigger and takes longer to fade away.......as far as supplements go though,a couple years ago my dermy told me to stay away from them too. Alot of vitamins and mierals you put into your body in concentrated form can keep your body from absorbing others you need as well, especially zinc, which cuts the amount of magnesium you absorb in half. Magnesium in turn plays a HUGE part in keeping your immune system healthy to fight infection and keeping your heart pumping and your blood circulating regularly to keep inflammation down. If you feel like the supplements you were taking were helping to improve your skin, your best bet would be to incorporate them into your diet through food as opposed to concentrated supplements :) best of luck in battling your acne !

I would go with severe and get on accutane.

Mine isnt as bad as yours and Im waiting to get on it now.

Auttie26- is your face clear now that your course is over?

I would go with severe and get on accutane.

Mine isnt as bad as yours and Im waiting to get on it now.

Auttie26- is your face clear now that your course is over?

No it went back to what it was before i took it. I'm doing the regimen now and it seems to be helping. I also started taking vitamins and I run 3 times a week for 2 miles. I think that sweating alot it helping my skin.

I'm not saying don't try it, cause it may work for you. I'm just saying that for me it was one of the worst experiences I've been through.