Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheChangingman

Coming off antibiotics.

I take minocycline pills 100g once a day in the evening. On Saturday I realised I was out (got a bit frantic with panic) and started to worry that I would get this flare up everyone talks about when they stop antibiotics cold turkey. Anyway I ordered some more mino and it arrived today. Having been off of the pills for three days today is the first day I have broken out, I have a papule on my chin and what appears to be a 'hard lump' on my right cheek. My cheeks are usually clear and its rare for me to bad acne there but its not unheard of, my other cheek has a similar bump and that arrived while on mino.

What Im wondering is whether I should actually just stop? I have the mino now but as I was doing so well I genuinely started to believe they were not doing all that much for me. Quandary.

the little mini-breakout your experiencing i guess is normal,your skin reacting to the antibiotics not being there for a a few days. If you feel theyre overall effeect on your acne isnt enough or is starting to wain then maybe you should come off them. I found antibiotics didnt do a thing for me and even if they had have,its a stop-gap really. short term solution

I had to unintentionally stop mino to take a different antibiotic (for actual medical reasons), and I only had a mini breakout the first day after.

Wikipedia states that minocycline has a half-life of 11-22 hours, so by now there probably isn't any left in your body, and if you aren't breaking out worse, then I would suggest you stop taking it as well.

It's a short-term solution meant to aide in handling the IB of topical retinoids, and in the long run can mess up your liver/stomach/antibiotic immunity/immune system/etc. Antibiotics just aren't a good idea unless you really need them.

I caved in and took some wednesday night and have been doing so since. Hasn't helped though because I think Im seeing the flare up so often warned about now and its probably going to be next week (if Im lucky) that I see some sort of change again.