Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I just finished reading the thread by the guy who has pictures before/after of his skin prior to his healthy dieting and sun-exposure routine. His rationale was that acne is a 'western' disorder primarily because we are cooped up inside offices and sheltered from the sun on a daily basis. Also, there is research that links vitamin D deficiency to acne (you get vitamin D primarily from sun exposure).

I began thinking about this...

I've been coming to these boards for years. And years. I am a 25 yr old male who has had acne since I was 19 (started when I was in college-- get all my zits around the jaw and cheek areas-- forehead completely clear). Ever since I can remember, people have always said "diet does NOT affect acne." My derm told me that. Acne websites told me that. Proactiv's manual says that! However, I know for a fact (and a lot of you do too) that certain foods cause me to breakout (mostly high sugar foods). Using this same principle (of being told by 'professionals that diet does not affect acne'), who says they aren't wrong about the sun? Everyone says "the sun only provides short term benefits... and damages your skin and actually makes red marks worse and yada yada..."

I was thinking about this...A LOT...

And ever since I was 19, my skin has ALWAYS cleared up DRAMATICALLY in the summer... to the point where I think my acne is going away for good... then it only stays with me through the fall and winter. And every summer, it has cleared up with different "regimens" (from Dan's BP, to Proactiv, to Jessfoliation, to ACV, to Baking soda masks... you name it). The only thing consistent in each of these 'clearing' phases is the time of year.

Anyone got feedback on this? I am going to start tanning and getting some sun. Just realize that you shouldn't be using SA or BP or any products if you decide to do this, b/c those will make your skin extra sensitive. And be careful to not burn, of course!

I am starting to think derms and the pros have been wrong all along about sun simply "masking acne" by making your skin tanner, thus creating a 'clearing illusion.' I have looked at pics of me in the summers... and damn, I sure as hell look clear. Just be careful to not go overboard if you decide to do this!

I am guessing it might be from the Vitamin D. You could try taking a Vit D supplement and see how that goes.

oh my god!!!!!

where do u get that from? The sun it the worse enemy for skin that why they so many suncare product out there to block out the sun. The guy u reading from it wrong don't trust that guy.. no sun would help acne it only dry it out first and then it will going oily skin and cost more acne... and tan does hide everything but it will cost your skin to be scar and red mark then turn to brown mark last forever and u will reget your life. The oil and dark spot will be on your skin once your tan leave it will leave behind more acne and dark spot!

haha hey man i thought the same thing...ive been sufferin since 14 and im 16 now but ive been moderately sever for 2 years straight almost (besides summer too)...i need to get rid of this

..instead of being a fuckin cavemen like everyone else on here..

i did take the sun thing to the extreme..

i tanned every day for a bit over an hour (Wisconsin) for about 6 days... i mixed swimming in between the hour.... and i got almost COMPLETELY clear of all my acne.

i didnt use sunscreen at all...used a little bp during evenings and i used aspirin mask at nights

well idc wut they say i dont believe that if i get completely clear from the sun........fall will come and i will lose it instantly and have random pimples and red marks in a flash

haha hey man i thought the same thing...ive been sufferin since 14 and im 16 now but ive been moderately sever for 2 years straight almost (besides summer too)...i need to get rid of this

..instead of being a fuckin cavemen like everyone else on here..

i did take the sun thing to the extreme..

i tanned every day for a bit over an hour (Wisconsin) for about 6 days... i mixed swimming in between the hour.... and i got almost COMPLETELY clear of all my acne.

i didnt use sunscreen at all...used a little bp during evenings and i used aspirin mask at nights

well idc wut they say i dont believe that if i get completely clear from the sun........fall will come and i will lose it instantly and have random pimples and red marks in a flash

i agree =)

tan= makeup and put makeup better then burn and fry your skin to die!!!!

I think it's because tanning really help relaxing your body

it's warm n cozyyyyy

but mind that sun damage is hidden under the skin x_x

I wouldnt want to risk it

I can see where you are coming from. My skin is scarily clear in the summer too, now that I look back at pictures of me from last summer and the summer previous. I think I will start getting out in the sun some more (safely, of course) :)

Heart attack rates are also higher in winter, lower in summer, and highest in northern latitudes, where there is less sunlight than near the equator--coincidence? No.

I think it has a lot to do with Vitamin D.

From my experience last week in the Bahamas, I kept my shirt on so my back wouldn't get tan or burn. The salt water is way better than the sun. My back improved like 1000% and it never saw the sun for like 5 days! :D

I think that people's acne seems to do better with the sun, because the sun sterilizes (e.g. the bacteria that can cause acne) The uv lights are used in new air cleansers to kill bacteria, fungus, mold and all sorts of microorganisms. Also available is uv lights to install in people's furnaces for that same reason.

I don't think that excessive sun exposure is a good idea, it's just a temp. solution, but with greater downfall.

Skin damage, skin cancer and yes the sun does scar acne.

I was on vacation in Tunisia and in the ten days I was there I had only 1 pimple, while I didnt eat very healthy (lot of sugar). At home my face would have been a mess on the same diet.

I think its a mix of sun & seawater and less stress than at home (!) which helps your acne

Damnit I love vacation

Let me just say this. People have all sorts of theories on here about the natural state of man. What he ate, what he drank, sleep patterns etc. BUT if theres one thing that is pretty indisputable about all of them, is that it is natural to get sun. We are meant to be out getting sun, the body is even designed to draw nutrients from sunlight. If you think the sun is the "enemy" and that your helping yourself by cooping up inside, your only fooling yourself.

People clear up during the summer because they go outside and get sunlight, and because they go outside and enjoy themselves and stop thinking about their acne. If you keep that up all the time you will dramatically improve your skin. Much more than the people who sit inside and think about their skin all the time. I know from experience that you will NEVER see much improvement from that. Do yourself a favor and go outside in nature where were meant to be.

That is where I think the majority of you guys are misinformed.

I do not think sunlight "prolongs" red marks and causes "scarring." Just about every website or derm or book out there says that it DOES. But keep in mind, just about every website or derm or book out there says that diet does NOT affect acne. I know they are wrong on that, because its been tried and tested and I know certain foods break me out.

I think they are wrong about the sun, too. Like the previous poster, I think we are meant to be outside. Looking at past pictures of me in the summer of years past, I have almost NO red marks. I think all the stuff I hear about sun exposure being only a "short term" solution is all wrong. Just don't OVEREXPOSE and get super red/burned and black like bacon-- get sun in moderation and you will clear up!

I do not think sunlight "prolongs" red marks and causes "scarring." Just about every website or derm or book out there says that it DOES. But keep in mind, just about every website or derm or book out there says that diet does NOT affect acne. I know they are wrong on that, because its been tried and tested and I know certain foods break me out.

I think they are wrong about the sun, too. Like the previous poster, I think we are meant to be outside. Looking at past pictures of me in the summer of years past, I have almost NO red marks. I think all the stuff I hear about sun exposure being only a "short term" solution is all wrong. Just don't OVEREXPOSE and get super red/burned and black like bacon-- get sun in moderation and you will clear up!

I'm not basing this upon anyone else's opinion. I'm basing it on my own experiences. I have 3 red marks from spots that I had last summer. Spots I get now, when I stay out of the sun, only leave marks for about 3-4months.

Having a tan definately makes red marks less distinguishable, since the tone of your skin is darker and matches more towards the colour of the marks, giving the impression that they have faded. Once the tan goes, they are just as prevalent and last much longer. If you are still reluctant to believe me, stay in the sun this summer a lot with active pimples. The more severe ones will leave red marks for a verrrry long time. If you want to take that risk, be my guest.

P.s Yes, sun does help acne and also we need vitamin D. But i'm talking about mild exposure to the sun, not tanning.

Ah, the sun, my favourite topic. All-time discussion.

First of all, don't take it to the extreme and tan, just get regular sun exposure and getting enough vitamin D.

During the winter I tanned while in the mountains and yes, it seemed to do wonders, but it got far worse after some time and I've read that that's usually the effect after some serious tanning.

Steve Jobs says: "People don't know what they want, you just have to show it to them."

I think pretty smart people invented sunscreens and yes, if you go on a vacation and you were stuck in your office in the last 12 months, of course you gonna burn. The human race has survived for so long thanks to the sun, if you don't take it to the extreme you'll be completely fine.

There was a lecture I listened to recently that explained the bad influences of sugar, and different studies that said how when sugar was removed in some schools people were achieving greater results, but it also said that in North America people are most defficient in vitamin D.

So go out and be active, but take the sun tanning slowly and gradually.

I'm not basing this upon anyone else's opinion. I'm basing it on my own experiences. I have 3 red marks from spots that I had last summer. Spots I get now, when I stay out of the sun, only leave marks for about 3-4months.

Having a tan definately makes red marks less distinguishable, since the tone of your skin is darker and matches more towards the colour of the marks, giving the impression that they have faded. Once the tan goes, they are just as prevalent and last much longer. If you are still reluctant to believe me, stay in the sun this summer a lot with active pimples. The more severe ones will leave red marks for a verrrry long time. If you want to take that risk, be my guest.

P.s Yes, sun does help acne and also we need vitamin D. But i'm talking about mild exposure to the sun, not tanning.

I agree. Tans just mask the red marks, but when your tan goes away they will stil be there and darker. Mine seem like they are COMPLETELY fading ever since I switched to a more protective sunscreen, they are almost completely gone and theve been there for years. As for if the sun helps acne, I don't know I guess its different for everyone. But preventing sundamage is just as important as preventing acne to me so I wouldn't do it.

The thing is, the main effect of sunlight on acne is killing the P.Acnes bug dead, as well as drying out the skin. For people with acne these are generally positive things, and their skin will improve a very great deal.

The downsides are that the amount of sun you need to absorb to get this degree of clearance is quite large, and thus you get progressive skin ageing from this. The other downside is consistency; unless you live on the equator or something you'd be relying on a quite variable source to keep your skin good. And it turns out that artificial tanning isn't as good at controlling acne as sunlight is, due to the balance of wavelengths of light used for that.

In my experience it does work a bit, but in the long run, it's not sustainable. If this really worked, it would be widely known that it did work (I mean, you're not exactly the first to try this ;-) ), and I heard about (but haven't tracked down) the old, *old* studies that were done on this, that showed that it didn't work very well, and that in the long run skin actually worsened.

But I do think that acne has *something* to do with the sun- the places where acne is most common are areas most likely to see sunlight. I just don't think that it's a sign of a sunlight deficiency. It really isn't.

my skins weird. it stays better when its real cold. in the summer u sweat from the sun and it irritates my skin. but the vitamin D its good. lol

The thing is, the main effect of sunlight on acne is killing the P.Acnes bug dead, as well as drying out the skin. For people with acne these are generally positive things, and their skin will improve a very great deal.

The downsides are that the amount of sun you need to absorb to get this degree of clearance is quite large, and thus you get progressive skin ageing from this. The other downside is consistency; unless you live on the equator or something you'd be relying on a quite variable source to keep your skin good. And it turns out that artificial tanning isn't as good at controlling acne as sunlight is, due to the balance of wavelengths of light used for that.

In my experience it does work a bit, but in the long run, it's not sustainable. If this really worked, it would be widely known that it did work (I mean, you're not exactly the first to try this ;-) ), and I heard about (but haven't tracked down) the old, *old* studies that were done on this, that showed that it didn't work very well, and that in the long run skin actually worsened.

But I do think that acne has *something* to do with the sun- the places where acne is most common are areas most likely to see sunlight. I just don't think that it's a sign of a sunlight deficiency. It really isn't.

I agree-- the sun usually clears up my skin at first, but it only lasts a week or two. Overexposure makes my skin more oily, and I break out worse. I think the best case scenario is getting some sun on a regular basis *with* sunscreen and not overdoing it.

I was on vacation in Tunisia and in the ten days I was there I had only 1 pimple, while I didnt eat very healthy (lot of sugar). At home my face would have been a mess on the same diet.

I think its a mix of sun & seawater and less stress than at home (!) which helps your acne

Damnit I love vacation

I think it's the seawater

seriously I have never seem a swimmer with bad skin !!!