Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ohtokyovogue

I AM SO UPSET!!!! BECAUSE OF MY PSYCHIATRIST

So I am suposed to start accutane on July 18th.... well the dermotolgist said I need an aproval from my psychiatrist that I can take accutane because I used to suffer depression.... well I go to see him today and hes like well I really don't know.... I'm not on any medication right now I haven't been for a year and I am perfectlly fine... hes like to me your skin looks fine.. im thinking in my mind WTF YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT and he brought up the fact that I tried comiting suicide last year that he doesn't know.... and I got really upset that he just threw that out there in front of my dad, and these two other doctors it just hurt me and I started tearing up. This is not fair I've been on everything... tazorac, cyldamicin, rentina micro, stupid washes, doxcylic, minocylcin,...etc...etc. Tried so many other things and they finally give me accutane and they aren't going to let me take it? I can understand where this docotor is comming from but its just not reasonable in my opinion. I was so upset I was crying for hours... [plus im getting my period soon so thats why I got reallllly upset] I bet im going to break out because of that ^_^ IT JUST HURTS BECAUSE THIS PROBLEM IS FINALLY GETTING RESOLVED AND THE DOCOTR HAS TO TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME.... :/ this really sucks.

ugh that's terrible! i really do hope this works out for you. you should give the psychiatrist another visit, if he tells you he thinks your skin looks fine, when you obviously don't, he doesn't sound like much of a doctor.

ugh that's terrible! i really do hope this works out for you. you should give the psychiatrist another visit, if he tells you he thinks your skin looks fine, when you obviously don't, he doesn't sound like much of a doctor.

I know tell me about it... I even said to him well the derm wouldn't have gave this to me for no reason they just don't hand out accutane you know. And he was basically saying to see if my acne gets worse maybe he will let me go on it.. SERIOUSLY WHAT THE HELL IS THAT. I was so happy that they perscribed this to me, and just because I had a bad past and made a mistake they have to ruin my future opurtunities.... you know them putting me on all the medication is one of the major factors that I suffered depression I never needed meds. And I ended being algeric to them and I had to get off of them asap and it made me depressed. First they do that to me, now they won't let me get help for my skin.... wow I am so upset

Sounds like you had a miserable day...I'm so sorry. When I was in my teens, I confided to one person that I was feeling a little suicidal. I thought I could trust that person, but they ended up telling someone else...and that person told lots of other people. And one of those people ended up calling my mom. Not pleasant. All I wanted was support from a friend, and I ended up with everyone gossiping about me, and my mom staring at me all the time asking if I was feeling "happy" today or not. I'm amazed that your psychiatrist wasn't more sensitive to all these issues.

Anyway, I'm glad you're feeling better now with the depression, and I hope things get worked out with the Accutane soon.

It is a shame that you do not appreciate what your psychiatrist is doing for you...

Sounds like you had a miserable day...I'm so sorry. When I was in my teens, I confided to one person that I was feeling a little suicidal. I thought I could trust that person, but they ended up telling someone else...and that person told lots of other people. And one of those people ended up calling my mom. Not pleasant. All I wanted was support from a friend, and I ended up with everyone gossiping about me, and my mom staring at me all the time asking if I was feeling "happy" today or not. I'm amazed that your psychiatrist wasn't more sensitive to all these issues.

Anyway, I'm glad you're feeling better now with the depression, and I hope things get worked out with the Accutane soon.

Thank you, yeah my day was very upsetting... I flipped out in the car because I was pissed... and I threw something and my parents were screaming at me and I was like fine im getting out of the car.... MY DAD GRABS ME BY THE NECK SO HARD AND IT JUST APPLYING SO MUCH PRESSURE TO MY NECK.. it hurt so bad now I have a migrane because of it.. prolly the crying too... but I was like to him you really hurt my neck you know and hes like AWW POOR BABY... like wtf I hate my life I hate my parents... just because I want to help my skin all of this shit has to happen? Parents don't even care nor understand... my mom prolly because she has cystic acne, or had... but my dad has perfect skin so he has no idea what the fuck he is talking about when he says to me oh your skin is fine blah blah blah.... I just want to go on the accutane and move on but NO... why does it feel like everytime something good happens something 10x worse just screws it all up :/ I seriously can't take this anymore

Oh, and by trying to evaluate your skin, he is not within his "scope of practice". Once you specialize into one area of medicine, you are fairly limited (For instance, a pediatric dentist isn't allowed to treat adults anymore). He has absolutely no right to try to make any determination about your eligibility to receive Accutane based on the appearance of your skin. His job is to evaluate your mental state ONLY to make sure that the drug won't make any current issues with depression worse. Since you are doing well now mentally, he needs to leave skin issues up to the expert in that area--your dermatologist. I think if you could bring up the "scope of practice" issue calmly to him, or get your dermatologist to contact him, that you might make some headway. Good luck.

Oh, and by trying to evaluate your skin, he is not within his "scope of practice". Once you specialize into one area of medicine, you are fairly limited (For instance, a pediatric dentist isn't allowed to treat adults anymore). He has absolutely no right to try to make any determination about your eligibility to receive Accutane based on the appearance of your skin. His job is to evaluate your mental state ONLY to make sure that the drug won't make any current issues with depression worse. Since you are doing well now mentally, he needs to leave skin issues up to the expert in that area--your dermatologist. I think if you could bring up the "scope of practice" issue calmly to him, or get your dermatologist to contact him, that you might make some headway. Good luck.

I wish I would of know that and said that to him right then in there... in a respectful manner of course. But you are right.... he is prolly going to mention that to my derm, and they are going to say that my mental health is more important than this... its not worth me taking a chance of getting suicidal.. you know that is complete crap if that is how its going to be... I wanted to say to him hey your not a dermotoglist... My moods have been fine... and i've been surfing a lot of GI problems... my colon gets severly impacted to the point where im destending.. I look like im pregnant! and I explained to him about my problems and stuff... and they asked me if I had low enegry and I was like yes... and he thinks I still have a form of depression WHAT THE HELL IF YOUR BODY WAS FULL OF.... YEAH YOU KNOW AND IT WAS VERY PAINFUL THROUGH OUT YOUR WHOLE BODY OF COURSE YOU WOULD HAVE LOW ENGRY DOESN'T MEAN IM DEPRESSED. My god..

It is a shame that you do not appreciate what your psychiatrist is doing for you...

If he feels that there are unresolved issues with the depression/suicide risk, then YES, he would be doing her a favor. But for him to just push his own opinion about her skin, and to discuss in front of other people things they had discussed in private was not appropriate.

Wow, sounds like a real ahole. I'm so sorry. Not sure what to say but I hope this all works out in your favor. *HUGS*

Yeah I know thats for the support guys, I'll keep you updated hopefully this will all work out... still not in the best of moods because of it. *sighs* :cry:

I know your upset about not being allowed on tane, but maybe take it as a sign. Trust me tane doesn't do good things for everyone and a past history of depression is a very good reason NOT to go on it.

Look into home light therapy, really it works amazingly.

I know your upset about not being allowed on tane, but maybe take it as a sign. Trust me tane doesn't do good things for everyone and a past history of depression is a very good reason NOT to go on it.

Home light therapy? For depression or my skin... because I am not suffering depression if you mean my skin then do you have any resources/good websites on it? Thanks for the sugestion

aww dont worry. i use to know a physc. like that, i knew him since i was little. and he was one of the nicest person i knew. i remeber one time i was supposed to go someplace with him. so i stayed outside while he was talking to one of his patients. In the end he realy came off as an a-hole to the patient and sounded really cold and stuff. But he really did love all his patients, since he use to talk about how he haad so much hope for them etc. im just saying this so that you know your pshc. really does care for you even if it comes off in the wrong way.

- if i were you, i would visit her and have a long private talk with ther and explain things with her. but dont get upset during it like yell etc. this will probally change her mind.

Good luck!

Home light therapy? For depression or my skin... because I am not suffering depression if you mean my skin then do you have any resources/good websites on it? Thanks for the sugestion

For your skin: here ya go http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Blue-red-...aq-t118454.html

My family has had a history of depression, but not to your extent I think.

Ask yourself why you are depressed. Is Acne the primary factor, or are there other factors involved? Were you depressed before acne?

I was depressed but it was primarily because of acne and it's making me too scared to live my life. My derm was a bit iffy but I managed to persuade him to put me on Accutane. I'm still on the course(6 months in) and still hate looking into the mirror because of my redness. But the acne per se has been wiped out, and in 2 months the redness should be too.

If you truly tried to commit suicide I would think very carefully about why you did so. If it was to do with acne or not you will know whether taking Accutane is right for you.

BTW you're hot.

I think your psychiatrist has the right to be concerned. If you are suicidal though, you should be on antidepressants. When I was on Accutane, I was sixteen years old and thats kind of too young for either accutane or antidepressants. Anyway, I had severe suicidal ideations from accutane. That doesnt happen to many people who take accutane but its very real.

I had a doc tell me in the past he didnt want me on accutane cause of my past depression. The depression was from the ACNE.

I am losing faith in a lot of doctors. Especially psychiatrists... they just want to push meds on you. I havent been medicated in a while and I feel better than when I was on them.

I hope you have good luck and can go on accutane. I was trying myself to get on it but its taking too long to find a doc and get an appt and in about 6 months I will be in the Army anyways (and if i take tane i need to be off of it for MONTHS before starting basic) so i just said you know, ill just stick to the CSR. So there. round 3. LOL