Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aggiechick05

About to Begin Accutane -- I'm ready -- I think?

Hello All!!

I'm 26 and have been suffering with acne since I was about 12. Just like most of you I've tried everything. Let's see there was Proactiv (a few times), Clearasil products, Neutrogena products, Retina A, Retina Micro, all kinds of topicals and over the counter meds and recently I have taken Adoxa, Spirnolactone, Brevoxyl (body wash), Differin, Vanoxcide HC, Doxycycline, etc. This list goes on and on and on for what seems like forever.

Today I made the decision with my dermatologist to undergo treatment with Accutane. I'm sure I'll be taking a generic but yet it is still Accutane. I didn't realize that there was so much that a female patient that can get pregnant have to go through just to get a prescription. I keep telling myself that it will be worth it especially after seeing some of the amazing before and after pictures on the site. I still have a lot of worries and concerns about Accutane. I guess my biggest worry is the initial breakout and how bad it will be.

I did my first blood test today and will officially start Accutane on August 5th. I'm 26 and a little scared of this medicine. :confused:

~b~

Hello All!!

I'm 26 and have been suffering with acne since I was about 12. Just like most of you I've tried everything. Let's see there was Proactiv (a few times), Clearasil products, Neutrogena products, Retina A, Retina Micro, all kinds of topicals and over the counter meds and recently I have taken Adoxa, Spirnolactone, Brevoxyl (body wash), Differin, Vanoxcide HC, Doxycycline, etc. This list goes on and on and on for what seems like forever.

Today I made the decision with my dermatologist to undergo treatment with Accutane. I'm sure I'll be taking a generic but yet it is still Accutane. I didn't realize that there was so much that a female patient that can get pregnant have to go through just to get a prescription. I keep telling myself that it will be worth it especially after seeing some of the amazing before and after pictures on the site. I still have a lot of worries and concerns about Accutane. I guess my biggest worry is the initial breakout and how bad it will be.

I did my first blood test today and will officially start Accutane on August 5th. I'm 26 and a little scared of this medicine. :confused:

~b~

Hi :angel: just wanted to say good luck and i'm sure it will work great for for, you seem to deserve it! just remember to drink lots of water, moisturize, remember to take lip balm everywhere! :lol:, and put on sunscreen!

If you have body acne you should see my before and after pictures of my body acne

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/My-Horrib...nk-t203259.html

good luck again and take care!

Is there a reason that you have to wait nearly a month after your first blood test to begin 'tane? That seems a bit ridiculous to me. Is it because you're a girl so you need to jump through more hoops or what? My appointment isn't for another month so I hope that doesn't mean it'll be two until I can begin 'tane!

Guys can get the prescription the same day. Girls have to have two negative pregnancy tests before they can begin accutane. Sucks to be a girl sometimes.

Guys can get the prescription the same day. Girls have to have two negative pregnancy tests before they can begin accutane. Sucks to be a girl sometimes.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I guess so. I'm glad I'll never have any kids! And I only have to shave my face!

Hi! Good luck to you Im getting my first blood work today so I should be starting around the same time as you. Im going on it for 4 months! Not too bad I dont think. What BCP are you taking with it?

I am taking Yaz. My dermatologist put me on it in December when I started going to him. He was able to give me a prescription for 6 months and then I had to go to OBGYN to get a full year prescription. It helps with acne as well. My insurance doesn't cover birth control unless its for other medical reasons like acne, etc. I like it. It keeps me regular like frickin' clock work every month. With my insurance its $25 a month. I've used several different kinds of BCP over the past 9 years and this one is the best one I've been on by far.