Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SkinBeingaDouchebag

Do people care more about your acne in college than in high school?

No, they care less. High school is a superficial hell-hole. I think you'll find college to be much better, as long as you don't hang around the wrong people (some people never grow up, of course).

no it's not that bad at all.. what got me was there are a lot more people with acne in college than I remember in high school.. Generally, it's a different lifestyle and nobody seems to care much. good luck.

Guest kiwikali

in high school people are so judgmental. especially where i come from, because looks are everything. which sucks, but that's just the way it is. i think college would be a lot more laid back, because people there are a lot more mature. i'm applying soon, and i've visited a couple campuses... it just seems so much more relaxed and everyone's not looking at what you look like and what you're wearing... just you!

can't wait for hs to be over.... :dance:

if you've got friends who rip on you from time to time, they might bring up acne but don't worry about it.

Just graduated college - and let me tell you, this is a really good question. I had acne all through high school and 3.5 years of college. I only recently cleared it up (thank god) after seeing a derm. I found that all in all, high schoolers are way harder on their fellow students because of the whole clique-oriented nature of it. But society tends to think of acne as a "teen problem only," so being the only guy who was a senior in college (first semester) with acne was one of the toughest thing I've had to go through. Not because of the pressures of peers, but internal pressures. It felt like I was abnormal and "it should have cleared by now." Anyone who is in high school who has regular acne problems listen please: SEE A DERMATOLOGIST AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. If you find a treatment that works it will change your life, you will be amazed. Had I cleared my acne with this treatment I'm on now in HS, I would be scar free today - I'm 21 and have a face full of scars (fading thanks to treatment).

Don't listen to all these stupid rants that tell you to drink 17 gallons of water a day, eat only apples and smear tree bark on your face (although it is just plain healthier to drink plenty of water, but don't expect it to clear your acne). Get professional help and reap the benefits of science and medicine - they are at your disposal. Thanks everyone and good luck!

-Tom

lets be realistic, we live in a superficial world. People may be more busy with their own shit to worry about your appearance but that they wont notice. We all know image is everything in todays society like it or not.

There are however mature people that youll meet he see passed that shit hopefully.

Maybe this is just my college (or just a theatre major specific problem), and I'm not trying to freak you out, but I feel like people are more judgmental now than they were in high school.

I mean, in my high school, we didn't really have cliques.

I mean, there was definitely "the 'in' crowd" and "everyone else," but those two groups intermingled peacefully and there wasn't a rigid social status quo. We all kind of minded our own business and hung out with whomever we wanted.

Other high schools must be different, though, because everyone I seem to meet in college has enormous issues about how they were treated by other students in high school or middle school and they seem to feel the need to turn their pain against other people in the form of decidedly high school-esque gossip, bullying, and exclusion.

People don't really change THAT much when they first get to college, honestly.

The wounds of high school are still fresh and people are still forming their identities.

It takes a couple of years for people to stop being douchebags, and for some people, the douchebaggery is a permanent condition.

College is nothing like high school in terms of cliques and focus on looks. I used to be a HS teacher and while it's not unusual to see HS kids slathering on the makeup, college students tend to spend a lot less time on their looks at most schools. There are obviously some preppier schools where students will spend time dressing up and putting makeup on, but for the most part, people are rolling out of bed and going to class.

I second pinkshoeaddict's post. I go to a local community college and most people couldn't give a rat's ass what your face looks like - they are busy enough with thier own lives.

Asmodeus are you living in a dorm? When I started college I was scared bc we had public bathrooms. I was worried about the whole putting on BP or using acne products and privacy and whatnot. But at my school it was really no big deal. I was on an all guys floor and nobody hardly gave a shit about anything.

HS is a hellhole, as keltron mentioned. Its a bunch of hormonal pissed off teens. College is a bit more focused and mature. Just carry yourself with confidence and no one will think twice about your skin.

Also, have fun in college! :dance: enjoy yourself. Its scary at first, but its so much freedom, and theres people everywhere. Theres so much stuff to do. Good luck! :)

I was in a strange circumstance as I went to an all women's college and had a boyfriend for 3 of those 4 years, so I didn't have to deal with the opposite sex.

No one treated me any differently, although there were snarky comments from one girl (who was my academic rival, so truthfully, they don't count since it was just smack talk.)

That last year, though, when I was single and meeting guys, was very telling.

Nobody cared. Seriously. And I met a lot of interested guys when I was really happy with myself and didn't care about my skin, and that makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE.

So go to college, don't be afraid. What will be, will be. And as long as you're confident with who you are, and make friends with people you actually care about, you won't have any problem.

OH!! And cheer up -- those community bathrooms? I saw a lot of Pro-activ and BP on the counters and bathroom baskets. YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

IMHO, I think that it just depends on where you attend college.

My first two years I went to a public university with a good hundred kids in most classes and so then it wasn't that bad because there are so many people. But I just transferred, I just finished my first year at a private university and I found it JUST like high school. You see the same people every day, every where you go, have multiple classes with the same people...so, it's hard for them not to notice. And barely during mid-October of last year did I start Accutane so for August, September, October and some of November (most was gone) I was like the only one I saw with pimples! And I had some pretty big ones too back in the day too!! (DAMNIT! lol)

I guess it can depend on which university you choose. This was just my experience. Smaller classes, smaller campus, smaller amounts of students per class...yeah, sort of tough there buddy.

lol look on facebook profile. half of it will be filled with makeup-less nights in sweats and cheetos bags.

Depends, as other people have stated. At my college, no one gives a crap. I've encountered people being judgmental before in classes (not toward me), and every time I've asked them, they tell me they're like, 19 and right out of High School. These are also the people who are whining to their chick friends about how stupid their boyfriend is while refusing to leave him and bitching about how he said she said blahblahblah and other forms of HS dramalolz.

They eventually get a bit wake up call.

Most of the time, once people get to college and start getting busy and figure out what really matters in life, they couldn't care less about someone else's skin.

I actually had ACNE in highschool, while on college most of the teenage acne clear up, with an occasional pimple from time to time.

I wouldn't know how to compare but I presume that they could care more about your acne in college, where everyone is expected to be clear.

Highschool could be worse on the other hand, because most of the people there actually are superficial, and although I had my acne I noticed that my friend with mild acne too but usually in those more obvious spots (between the eyebrows, on top of the nose, on the lips) had some problems with the other sex at the same time when he had breakouts,and those problems would fade when his skin cleared up. :rolleyes:

In college, it's more or less your own business.

But I will warn you about one thing. In college, the classes are huge and you won't have close-knit small classes where it's almost impossible NOT to have friends. In college, if you keep all to yourself because you're afraid of what other people might think of you, it becomes really easy to become a loner.

So, just make sure you befriend your roommate/suitemates/floormates/etc.

That aspect will be different from high school for sure.

Just graduated college - and let me tell you, this is a really good question. I had acne all through high school and 3.5 years of college. I only recently cleared it up (thank god) after seeing a derm. I found that all in all, high schoolers are way harder on their fellow students because of the whole clique-oriented nature of it. But society tends to think of acne as a "teen problem only," so being the only guy who was a senior in college (first semester) with acne was one of the toughest thing I've had to go through. Not because of the pressures of peers, but internal pressures. It felt like I was abnormal and "it should have cleared by now." Anyone who is in high school who has regular acne problems listen please: SEE A DERMATOLOGIST AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. If you find a treatment that works it will change your life, you will be amazed. Had I cleared my acne with this treatment I'm on now in HS, I would be scar free today - I'm 21 and have a face full of scars (fading thanks to treatment).

Don't listen to all these stupid rants that tell you to drink 17 gallons of water a day, eat only apples and smear tree bark on your face (although it is just plain healthier to drink plenty of water, but don't expect it to clear your acne). Get professional help and reap the benefits of science and medicine - they are at your disposal. Thanks everyone and good luck!

-Tom

I totally second this advice! You just graduated college and your only 21!? Are you from the US? How did you manage that?

In college, it's more or less your own business.

But I will warn you about one thing. In college, the classes are huge and you won't have close-knit small classes where it's almost impossible NOT to have friends. In college, if you keep all to yourself because you're afraid of what other people might think of you, it becomes really easy to become a loner.

So, just make sure you befriend your roommate/suitemates/floormates/etc.

That aspect will be different from high school for sure.

This is also excellent and very true advice. Of course I've always been pretty much a loner, but I understand you have to have more initiative in friendships during college. There are a lot of people so no one is going to go out of their way to befriend you.

I totally second this advice! You just graduated college and your only 21!? Are you from the US? How did you manage that?

I graduated from college when I was 21. It was because I had graduated from HS at 17. 17 + 4 years of college = 21 when you graduate.

Well actually from what I seen, theres alot more kids in college with acne than in high school. i guess thats a good thing since its more acceptable since college has 30 times the amount of people. Im not really suprised too since in college, you go through a huge change in your life and therss more stess and you tend to eat more bad food and excercise less. I gurantee you everyone in the world who has attended college has atleast broken out once. The living on your own and bad food definetely plays huge role. Have you ever notice during christmas and summer breaks, when you see your friends, the ones who moved to a different city for college usually come back with a pimple breakout while the ones who decided to live at home and go to college have clear skin. Because I have. And yes in college most of the classes are 300-400 people sometimes, so people arent going to notice as much. If you have acne, try to be the first one in class and sit in the back, hahahaha. As for the shared bathroom situation, I can tell you that from experience the guys wont care. I too lived in a dorm where it was a shared bathroom down the hall my freshman year. Atleast half of the people in my hallway used the clearasil creams at night before they went to bed. No one cared, in face we all bonded together and asked each other advices on how to take care of our skin. For example, I shared a room with 2 other people, and one had somewhat bad acne, and he asked me if I could show him my routine and I was more than happy to do so. The people who applied acne medicines in my hall didnt seem to discret it. They did it while there were other people in the bathroom, and no one said anything.

-Tom

Not really relevant but, what were you washing your face with before you saw a dermatologist?

Dont worry just be excited for college. I went into my first year (last year) just starting accutane. not only was my face suffering from the initial breakout but i was dry as a lizard! That didnt matter though, everyone in my dorm and classes and everywhere was nice and friendly.

You know what they say about everyone going to learn more and better themselves? It is actually true, sure they want to party and have fun but it isnt everyone in their own little group shunning others. So just be excited and be outgoing and have fun and dont let acne control you when you meet all the new people.

i'm going into my last year of college at rutgers in new brunswick, and i can assure you that if you have acne going into college, don't worry about it! everyone in college is so much more accepting than in high school... nobody judges you or makes fun of you for your acne... i had really bad acne when i first came into college, but i had no problems making a wide array of friends. college is much more laid back, and there are sooo many people! you don't have to deal with seeing the same people everyday like you do in high school, so don't even worry! i know you'll have a wonderful time meeting new people when you get there... good luck! ;)

lol look on facebook profile. half of it will be filled with makeup-less nights in sweats and cheetos bags.

so so true.

but yeah. honestly. i think high school is worse because it's a bunch of kids.

college you just kinda keep to yourself if you want. nobody really bothers you if you don't want them too.

Generally speaking, people won't care about your acne at all. Most are too concerned about their own problems and insecurities.