Notifications
Clear all

can doctors (G.P's) prescribe Accutane (uk)

MemberMember
(@daniel9876)

Posted : 07/08/2008 9:12 pm

im just wondering if GPs can prescribe this type of thing or can only derms prescribe something this powerful, im asking as i know that gps can prescribe things such as differin ect.

the main reason im asking is if i know that they can prescribe im guessing they can prescribe all types of skin care products as i have a gp and this would not cost anything like getting a derm appointment would

MemberMember
(@welcometothedarkside)

Posted : 07/08/2008 9:55 pm

im just wondering if GPs can prescribe this type of thing or can only derms prescribe something this powerful, im asking as i know that gps can prescribe things such as differin ect.

the main reason im asking is if i know that they can prescribe im guessing they can prescribe all types of skin care products as i have a gp and this would not cost anything like getting a derm appointment would

Absolutely they can , and you would have alot easier time getting a GP to prescribe it then you would a dermatologist.

good luck

MemberMember
(@misselizabeth)

Posted : 07/15/2008 11:10 am

I don't think they can, because you need to be monitored by a derm for blood tests etc. Doctors don't have as much time to see you as derms do. I had to be referred to a derm both times I took Accutane and the appointment was free, because I got it on the NHS. I had to wait a month or so for my appointment though. You only have to pay to see a derm if you want to see one privately. You do, however, have to pay for the prescription of Accutane though but it's not that much, something like just over A7. If your GP thinks you need Accutane, he/she will not hesitate to refer you to a derm.

MemberMember
(@arsenal)

Posted : 07/15/2008 4:03 pm

get a derm appointment now. If your skin isn't horrific and the acne could theoretically be treated by antibiotics an NHS derm will put you on them before. Accutane is used only as a lost/only option by NHS dermatologists

MemberMember
(@glosoliheima)

Posted : 07/17/2008 4:54 am

Absolutely they can , and you would have alot easier time getting a GP to prescribe it then you would a dermatologist.

good luck

absolutely not, i think you mean. because they definitely can't prescribe accutane, they don't have th power to.

my GP is a complete nonce and told me when i had severe cystic acne that th derm would give me th same as he was prescribing - erythromycin. he pretty much didn't know about accutane. sorry, my own personal experience which makes me think GPs are stupid. slightly irrelevant, sorry!

MemberMember
(@sahara)

Posted : 07/22/2008 12:03 pm

No, they can't. I was told by my GP that for my severe acne, the strongest treatment he could prescribe was Dianette after I'd tried long term antibiotics. If that makes no difference, he told me he would have to refer me to the skin hospital for the next step up - Accutane.

MemberMember
(@xquis3t)

Posted : 07/23/2008 5:00 am

You can read this, you might find it interestingREAD ME

MemberMember
(@logan-percy)

Posted : 02/10/2019 10:23 am

No, GP's can't prescribeAccutane, the simple reason being they are only here for the first stages of acne. The NHS has a wide variety of dermatologists meaning that they're very busy. In order to get to one of these, you have to be admitted to one. The only way this is possible is when you go see your GP, they will usually prescribe; zineryt, dalacinT, differin, lymecycline, minocycline etc. They will try all of these on you to start with, and if no improvement is seen or skin condition worsens, you will be admitted to a NHS dermatologist to get further treatment, eg, Accutane. However, there is also private dermo's dotted around the UK you can go to for treatments such as accutane, However, they're very pricy!