Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dhays88

Wondering if redness will ever fade?

I have had acne for about 6 years moderately bad, including red acne (whatever you call them) on cheeks and chin. I would just pretend it wasnt there for years. I'm wondering now that im on the regimen and treating them with bp, if they will heal or am I stuck forever with these. I mean because I waited so long. Thanks.

A lot of people refer to red marks as scars, simply because they remain after the lesion has healed. It's okay to call them scars, but they will fade in several months. This isn't the case for indented scars.

the red marks are caused by hyperpigmentation of the skin after the actual spot has disappeared (i think) and as such will fade eventually, although depending on the location of the blemish it will take anywhere up to six months. i find that red marks on the cheek area take the longest to heal out of all the locations on my face.

the indented scars left by acne, however, do not heal, even after the redness is gone, although in time they will even out slightly. the scars board is a great place to start looking for ways to treat acne scars, and there are loads of posts about how to increase the speed of fading of red marks too.

When people talk about "permanent scars" they usually mean something along the lines of this:

user posted image

These scars can be caused from very bad acne, or even from popped pimples that become infected. They usually never go away.

However, anything red on your body is usually a sign of immune system activity; it is literarily because of increased blood flow in the area. In fact this is why pimples are red.

Hmmmm....I always thought indents like the ones in the pic were large pores. Are those really scars? Maybe some of my large pores are actually scars.