Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

but i have to get rid of them. This is me ranting, haha. :boohoo:

I'm talking about my two cats that are 9 and 11 years old. I guess that's an old age for cats.

Anyways, I never thought about stress as a major factor for acne and only blamed it on hormones and most recently my diet. Ever since my sisters have moved out, I have been left with these cats. I was never a cat or pet person to begin with. After years of having to take care of them I despise them but it's not their fault for meowing, vomiting hairballs, leaving fur everywhere, staining the carpet, needing expensive cat food or the fact I'm kinda allergic to them.. ha.

My Dad always thought it could be "cat dust", whatever that means. Maybe it could be from cat dander, I have no idea. I have to take claritin on bad days which my doctor doesn't think it's healthy to be taking it all the time.

But for the last two months I finally put the pieces together that a part of the reason I MIGHT be still breaking out. It might be from the stress of these simple cats. I'm on birth control for my hormones, I eat a healthy diet, take vitamins, you name it. Now I'm working on the stresses in my life.

I guess I should have done that first!

The heart inside me says, "No, I shouldn't put them in a (no-kill) shelter and just suffer for their happiness." and then the sanity part of me saying "DO it! There are too many negatives."

:(

As a matter of fact this morning I hear a lapping sound but it was too loud to be one of them licking themselves so I was confused at what they could be doing in the other room and I go and look to find one of them was eating pasta I had out for 5 minutes. Just great. :clap:

Oh by the way, the thing that makes me cringe like nails to a chalkboard is their licking!! AHH! Drives me crazy!

Last week I had to dump these two couches (they were old anyways and been through 3 other cats also) and stick them on the curb because I couldn't salvage them from the amount of fur that had accumulated over the years from the couch not being able to break apart into pieces for easier cleaning. Let's just say it wasn't a pretty site. I can't believe I breathed that stuff in!

This is Indy: click here

This is Lucky: click here

Awww, kittttties! I love cats. Sorry yours are driving you nuts. My oldest cat just died a few months ago at the ripe old age of twenty three. No joke.

You could try placing an add on petfinder.com. Or, like you said, find a no-kill shelter (check them out first, though, 'cause my friend gave her kitten to a no-kill shelter, and then later found out that they actually did euthanize animals that had been there "too long", which was pretty crappy and heartbreaking.)

Good luck, from me and my two cats.

If the cats have been with you that long, what do you think they'll

be thinking if you suddenly boot 'em out the door? That's like having

a twelve year old kid and just dropping them off at the orphanage

one day for no other reason than you just don't want them anymore.

That's kinda sad, and I don't even really like cats.

If the cats have been with you that long, what do you think they'll

be thinking if you suddenly boot 'em out the door? That's like having

a twelve year old kid and just dropping them off at the orphanage

one day for no other reason than you just don't want them anymore.

That's kinda sad, and I don't even really like cats.

i know, right? i'm just trying to be logical and realistic while keeping my emotions out of it! i mean it's affecting my health already by being allergic and i have asked every single person i know if they would like my cats.

i hope i don't come off as too cold in my rant about them. i mean i've had them since they were born and we both saved them.. argh.

Yeah, you're really in a tough spot, especially with being allergic to them

and all. What about your sisters? Are they just out of the picture after

leaving you with the cats?

Awww, kittttties! I love cats. Sorry yours are driving you nuts. My oldest cat just died a few months ago at the ripe old age of twenty three. No joke.

You could try placing an add on petfinder.com. Or, like you said, find a no-kill shelter (check them out first, though, 'cause my friend gave her kitten to a no-kill shelter, and then later found out that they actually did euthanize animals that had been there "too long", which was pretty crappy and heartbreaking.)

Good luck, from me and my two cats.

my cats are both inside cats. two of my cats have died from going outside [from a dog attack and hit by a car] so if they ever die i will FIND them in my living room. i can't imagine the stress that will bring for emotions.

thanks for the site. i never thought of doing that. it is going to cost me 80 dollars to give my cats over to the no-kill shelter http://safeharborhumane.com/index.php?acti...y&PageID=11 and i have read a lot of reviews about them and thankfully they are good. so maybe i can giev my cats away for free if i find a new home and pay as much for a safe trip for them.

idk.

i've been contemplating this for a long time but never did take it seriously other than these two months.

Yeah, you're really in a tough spot, especially with being allergic to them

and all. What about your sisters? Are they just out of the picture after

leaving you with the cats?

sort of. i have 4 sisters and 2 of them are also allergic to them. the other two already have cats of their own + babies on the way and can't take in any more.

oh and i'm registering for petfinder.com asap

Do not do the "free to good home" thing. That's where some people find their animals for research or for dog fighting training or plain old abuse. You do NOT want that to happen to your kitties. NEVER do a free to good home ad for any animal.

The place you wrote of sounds good.

I have cats and love them and could never ever imagine giving any one of them up for any reason at all.

Your kitties are adorable; I just can't imagine giving those away. I actually prefer cats to most humans I've ever met...honestly. If they eat my pasta, well, I shouldn't have left it where they could get it. I don't have any houseplants because they eat them. I've just adapted things to suit both me and the cats. Choosing the right types of furniture coverings makes a huge difference in fur. I recovered one futon in vinyl and that's perfect for kitties (and our dog). I use a lot of masking tape to de-furr myself and our furniture. I've had to rewrite this post a few times so I wouldn't sound so mean. Cause I just don't understand getting rid of an animal you've had so long, and two who are obviously very comfortable and happy where they are.

By the way, there are medications that kitties can take that neutralize the part of their saliva that actually triggers all people allergies. For me, any expense is worth it for my cats. So if you really do care about their happiness and your allergies, the medication may help the three of you co-exist. It seems pretty horrible to me to get rid of a kitty you've had that long. My oldest is 11 and he looks a lot like your Indy; mine is named Merlin (11 year old short fur boy). Then there are: Coffee (5 year old purebred black smoke Maine Coon), Flash (3 year old brown tabby boy), Goose (3 year old gray tabby girl - Flash's sister), and Gremlin (2 year old long black fur boy). My husband loves them all, too. All are fixed, of course.

I actually prefer cats to most humans I've ever met...honestly. If they eat my pasta, well, I shouldn't have left it where they could get it. I don't have any houseplants because they eat them. I've just adapted things to suit both me and the cats.

Ha, I'm the same way with my cats. It even said on my profile, "I like my cats more than I like most people.", until recently.

They can be total pains, but I love 'em anyway. My one cat, Jericho, is the biggest beggar I've ever met. As soon as he knows anyone has food, he runs up and wants some. He'll come up and put his paw on the edge of the table or your plate, as if to say, "I just NEED some, okay?". It can be annoying, but it's also kind of cute. He ate our houseplants, too, so we've learned that lesson as well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/cry...es/IMAG0026.jpg

Jericho, in the classic "DO WANT!" pose.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/cry...es/IMAG0012.jpg

Merriweather, also known as Princess Squeakums or The Really Annoying One.

And lastly...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/cry.../Picture010.jpg

Me and Jericho. He's just a big, ol' bumpkin. But I adore him.

Do not do the "free to good home" thing. That's where some people find their animals for research or for dog fighting training or plain old abuse. You do NOT want that to happen to your kitties. NEVER do a free to good home ad for any animal.

The place you wrote of sounds good.

I have cats and love them and could never ever imagine giving any one of them up for any reason at all.

Your kitties are adorable; I just can't imagine giving those away. I actually prefer cats to most humans I've ever met...honestly. If they eat my pasta, well, I shouldn't have left it where they could get it. I don't have any houseplants because they eat them. I've just adapted things to suit both me and the cats. Choosing the right types of furniture coverings makes a huge difference in fur. I recovered one futon in vinyl and that's perfect for kitties (and our dog). I use a lot of masking tape to de-furr myself and our furniture. I've had to rewrite this post a few times so I wouldn't sound so mean. Cause I just don't understand getting rid of an animal you've had so long, and two who are obviously very comfortable and happy where they are.

By the way, there are medications that kitties can take that neutralize the part of their saliva that actually triggers all people allergies. For me, any expense is worth it for my cats. So if you really do care about their happiness and your allergies, the medication may help the three of you co-exist. It seems pretty horrible to me to get rid of a kitty you've had that long. My oldest is 11 and he looks a lot like your Indy; mine is named Merlin (11 year old short fur boy). Then there are: Coffee (5 year old purebred black smoke Maine Coon), Flash (3 year old brown tabby boy), Goose (3 year old gray tabby girl - Flash's sister), and Gremlin (2 year old long black fur boy). My husband loves them all, too. All are fixed, of course.

haha don't worry, i understand. i am coming off as too cold in this thread too. trust me, i did adore them but after getting smashed with them in an apartment section of this house it gets draining being surrounded by them and they engulf every nook and cranny here. before they had this huge house and multiple floors to go in but now they have 1 living room because i won't let them get anything in my bedroom/bathroom. some days i think "argh i can't let them go." then today i wake up to meowing and other annoying ticks and it just makes me go nuts. that's the reason i haven't told my dad a set date of sending them to the shelter.

i can't imagine the price of those pills though. the 25 dollar a bag of food each month + kitty litter + kitty litter bins adds up for something i don't really want at times.

One more tip I learned yesterday from a furniture salesperson who sold us a recliner: rub used dryer sheets on furniture and that will help the fur come off more easily. Regular vacuuming is of course essential. Imagine the fur from five cats, a dog, and two people! For chenille-type fabrics, I found that a damp washcloth takes fur right off.

Scotchguard and other similar products also help create a stain repellant surface. I don't know if it's ok on carpet, but there's bound to be something. We put in wood floors as they're so easy to clean and look great.

There's one product that was indispensable when we had carpet: Spot Shot. It REALLY works. It's like drycleaning (instant!) for the carpet. It even took out coffee stains, not to mention hairball upchuck discolorations. With two long-furred cats who love to groom (and one of THEM grooms every other cat constantly!), we have lots of hairballs. With the wood floors, it is SO easy to get rid of the spot. With carpet, the Spot Shot took care of it once I cleaned the surface. I bought one of those portable steam cleaners and it worked very nicely for all the stains from coffee, dirt dragged in by visitors, and of course the ubiquitous hairballs.

I really do hope you are able to keep them. They look so happy, and don't they bring you at least a little bit of happiness and companionship?

I agree it's a shame to get rid of them when you've had them that long. Many older animals find it very difficult to adapt to a new home. Our cat is now 14, grumpy as hell, and all she does is eat and sleep but I wouldn't get rid of her now.

I too often prefer animals to people, I couldn't do without dogs and horses now (and occasionally the odd grumpy cat ;) ).

Aaaah, my favorite pet kind, cats! ^^ Your cats look really cute, haha.

But yes, cats shed hair like crazy. Although my current maltipoo dog doesn't shed, I still miss my old cat (we had to give her away when we moved because my mom wouldn't put up with cat hair in our new home with wooden floors).

But I guess the difference between you and me would be that I was actually really fond of them, whereas you seem to be that you're just putting up with them because you're a very nice person (despite the fact that you don't really like them).

I think in the long run, pets are pets and should be loved, but in your case, I think it's a little different. Maybe try to look for a nice old lady (okay, well actually that's a stereotype that old ladies are nice and like cats... so let us say "nice person") who might actually be happy to put up with all those things because of her (or his!) fondness of cats.

Please be forewarned that even most no-kill shelters will eventually euthanise animals that aren't adopted out.They just give it a little longer. (The average wait time in a pound for putting down an animal - full grown or baby - is three days) If you surrender your animals to the pound or even a no kill shelter, you must understand that 90% of those animals are put to sleep to keep overcrowding from happening.

If these are animals you really care about, if you can't find a home for them, it would be kinder to take them to the vet and have them put to sleep there with you holding them, so that way they can spend their last few minutes with someone who cares for them rather than on a cold, sterile table all alone.

Please be forewarned that even most no-kill shelters will eventually euthanise animals that aren't adopted out. They just give it a little longer. (The average wait time in a pound for putting down an animal - full grown or baby - is three days) If you surrender your animals to the pound or even a no kill shelter, you must understand that 90% of those animals are put to sleep to keep overcrowding from happening.

If these are animals you really care about, if you can't find a home for them, it would be kinder to take them to the vet and have them put to sleep there with you holding them, so that way they can spend their last few minutes with someone who cares for them rather than on a cold, sterile table all alone.

Arrrgh. That broke my heart.

It's true. It's why taking an animal on should never, ever, ever be done lightly. Unless you're moving to a nursing home or something like that, there is no reason why a pet owner shouldn't be able to "take thier animals with them when they move" (The husband and I will refuse to move anywhere that isn't animal friendly) and unless the animals are presenting severe medical difficulties, same thing.

And I know I'm a softie when it comes to cats, but I think animals deserve some kind of a good ending, or at least the best that we can offer. And if the best we can offer is a quick death surrounded by love (and not twenty or thirty other screaming, scared, and angry animals in the cages of a pound), then that is what we should do.

Also, the first time a person has to do that is usually the last time a person has to do that. After that, people choose pets more wisely.

(Although to the OP - I know you didn't ask for these cats, so I'm not ragging on you!)

its a crappy dillema to be faced with :(, your cats look really nice and its a shame they have to go at their age as they will be stressed by re-homing.

is there any aunties or cousins, neighbours who can take them. then you will know they have decent surroundings and are safe.

its a shame if they get split up too as they must like each other..

Are there any pet rescue organisations for cats in your area?

I "inherited" two cats from a co-worker years ago, simply because one if them wasn't behaving well after a new baby (human) entered the household. They had always been together and my friend didn't want to split them up. I was her last phone call. I really didn't like cats very much, but they seemed to be fairly unobtrusive and I had a very large townhouse at the time. I initially said no thanks, but after I found out that I was their last resort so to speak, I begrudgingly agreed to take them. I remember leaving her house. My then-husband put them on my lap and I thought I was going to throw up. EWW. I didn't like them on me. It was quite icky.

We got them home and they just disappeared for about three days. It was a three story house with lots of places to hide. Eventually they came out and we made friend. The sleep with me, endured two husbands and a live-in boyfriend and, for a while, two babies. I kept my furniture covered in bedsheets for easy removal when visitors showed up and came to view regular brushing as an investment. We went through three vacuums and I kept a lint roller in every room, in the car, in my purse, in my office and in my brief case. They lived until they were 18 years old and became ill. I had them put down together because I knew one wouldn't survive without the other. I couldn't even speak about it for three years.

I think you're trying really hard to do the right thing and I admire that. I understand that it's hard for you. Just try to be patient until the right place becomes available for them. View it as a charitable act of kindness and it might make it easier for you to put up with them a little longer.

And I know I'm a softie when it comes to cats, but I think animals deserve some kind of a good ending, or at least the best that we can offer. And if the best we can offer is a quick death surrounded by love (and not twenty or thirty other screaming, scared, and angry animals in the cages of a pound), then that is what we should do.

what what? i'm not killing my cats lol. they may be old but they still play and don't have any noticeable health problems if i wanted them to die i would abandon them in a field or drop them off at a regular shelter. i doubt if the place says "no kill shelter" that they won't do it otherwise i'm sure they would get in big trouble and legal issues.

anyways, i should be giving them away this saturday if things go as planned.

its a crappy dillema to be faced with :(, your cats look really nice and its a shame they have to go at their age as they will be stressed by re-homing.

is there any aunties or cousins, neighbours who can take them. then you will know they have decent surroundings and are safe.

its a shame if they get split up too as they must like each other..

nope, asked everyone around and they couldn't take them. they love each other and i often joke how they are gay lovers.

since when is taking them to a no-kill shelter the equivalent of throwing them in a gutter? they'll be in a good and safe surrounding. i doubt it'll be like those puppy mills they have on tv. i've seen pictures of the place and it's no where close.

Please be forewarned that even most no-kill shelters will eventually euthanise animals that aren't adopted out.They just give it a little longer. (The average wait time in a pound for putting down an animal - full grown or baby - is three days) If you surrender your animals to the pound or even a no kill shelter, you must understand that 90% of those animals are put to sleep to keep overcrowding from happening.

:(:cry::cry::cry::cry: . Agree 1000000000000000000000% with both of your posts.

I don't care what the reason is, I don't agree with ever putting a helpless, innocent animal into the pound or a shelter. First of all because of what Elsewhere said about how they might eventually be put to sleep plus the completely awful conditions the animals in pounds and shelters have to live in. I don't think i've ever visited a pound without crying for hours and wanting to go back and take all of the animals home with me. The conditions are so so awful, all the poor animals abandoned searching for their owners, stranded. It's not fair to put any animal in such a condition, it seriously isnt. These old cats that are familiar with you and know their surroundings shouldnt be abandoned just because they shed or eat pasta or whatever. its irresponsible for owners to get pets and then decide oh well I can't stand them anymore-what if a mother did that with her babies? OH well, they're annoying and eating food lets send them away! I'm sorry if i'm coming off as rude, I just cant wrap my mind around leaving the poor old cats in a shelter, please dont :cry:

:(:cry::cry::cry::cry: . Agree 1000000000000000000000% with both of your posts.

I don't care what the reason is, I don't agree with ever putting a helpless, innocent animal into the pound or a shelter. First of all because of what Elsewhere said about how they might eventually be put to sleep plus the completely awful conditions the animals in pounds and shelters have to live in. I don't think i've ever visited a pound without crying for hours and wanting to go back and take all of the animals home with me. The conditions are so so awful, all the poor animals abandoned searching for their owners, stranded. It's not fair to put any animal in such a condition, it seriously isnt. These old cats that are familiar with you and know their surroundings shouldnt be abandoned just because they shed or eat pasta or whatever. its irresponsible for owners to get pets and then decide oh well I can't stand them anymore-what if a mother did that with her babies? OH well, they're annoying and eating food lets send them away! I'm sorry if i'm coming off as rude, I just cant wrap my mind around leaving the poor old cats in a shelter, please dont :cry:

it's fine. they are already sent away anyways

cant you re-adopt them? :cry:

sure, there is a fee of everyday they hold them but i don't plan on to.

it's not from the "pasta" incident alone. it's the fact i'm allergic to them and that i'm not a pet person to begin with. if i didn't wake up sneezing and have itchy eyes from them then i wouldn't care as much. but it's not like that and taking claritin for the next couple of years everyday i was told is not healthy.

Why did you have cats if you aren't a pet person? What is so bad about claratin? I understand it must be annoying but to simply abandon such old, beautiful cats is so sad for them. They don't deserve it at all.

Why did you have cats if you aren't a pet person? What is so bad about claratin? I understand it must be annoying but to simply abandon such old, beautiful cats is so sad for them. They don't deserve it at all.

if you read earlier i was the last one in my house. my other sisters wanted the cats and took care of them. they moved out so it left it with me.

i don't know what's so bad about claritin but my doctor said i shouldn't be taking it everyday and wants me off it. yes, it is sad and i paid 80 bucks for them to be in a nice and clean no-kill shelter.

lol sorry if i come off as cold but i really did care and it did hurt.