Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
J-Dog

What about a vegetarian diet?

I am thinking about cutting meat from my diet, for all kinds of reasons (health, ethical, environmental, spiritual). I was a vegetarian in college, but had trouble keeping it up afterwards. Now that I am noticing specific (and very positive) changes in my skin while on a gluten-free diet, I am wondering how meat impacts skin. I havent done any research yet, so I figured I would start by asking questions here:

1. Is a gluten-free (and almost dairy free) diet enough to keep my skin clear for the long haul?

2. Exactly why is a vegetarian good for the skin?

3. What kind of impact would a gluten-free (almost dairy-free) AND vegetarian diet have on my skin? And the rest of my body?

Thanks,

J-Dog

J-dog,

I went on a vegetarian diet to see if it would clear my skin problems, but did not see any results.

I then went on a vegan diet and saw no results.

However, in the newspapers there was a new diet that guaranteed insulin sensitivity after 3 weeks. The diet allowed 20 grams of fat per day. Insulin resistance is what causes blackheads, oily skin & hair, acne in most acne-prone people. About 2 years ago, 3 of my diabetic friends (who did not have acne) tried the diet and ---within 3 weeks--- their doctors took them off of their diabetic medications. As long as they stayed on the diet, they were completely insulin sensitive. If they deviated from the low-fat diet, their problems returned.

Out of desparation (my skin was TERRIBLE), I went on this low-fat diet and my skin cleared by 80% within a few weeks. Before that time, the doctors wanted to put me on Accutane. Another member on this forum tried the diet and he said that he saw great results within a few weeks, but did not have the will power to stay on the diet.

The diet is a low-fat. Its like a vegan diet, but more low-fat. You can eat 20 grams of fat per day, but no more. This generally eliminates cheese, eggs, meat, oily fish, avacados, oils, large portions of nuts.

I've been on this diet for a few months now.... and I dont plan on quitting it. My skin has drastically improved.

You'll notice your skin improves at the end of 3 weeks.

1. Is a gluten-free (and almost dairy free) diet enough to keep my skin clear for the long haul?

It might be, yes.

However, if you have reactions to dairy, then any time you eat dairy, no matter how small the amount, you will have the potential of a new breakout.

2. Exactly why is a vegetarian good for the skin?

It's not. Some members here (including me) got clear by reducing the number of plant foods in our diets, and increasing meat intake.

I actually don't believe in vegetarianism much, because it is so hard to get all the essential nutrients out of such a diet. If you're allergic to dairy and you try to go on a vegetarian diet, then your only source of B12 will be eggs--the problem is, eggs have a factor that block B12 absorption.

That said, there's no reason you can't get clear on a vegetarian diet, although most likely you will need supplements or fortified foods. I just think it's easier to get clear on an omnivorous diet.

3. What kind of impact would a gluten-free (almost dairy-free) AND vegetarian diet have on my skin? And the rest of my body?

Assuming that you truly have intolerances to those foods, you can probably expect your digestive health to improve, leading to increased nutrient absorption and increased immunity to disease; better thyroid; less skin inflammation and acne; and decreased mood instability.