Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
favre4

quitting antibiotics

i figured this would be the best forum to adress this topic because so many people have quit antibiotics. I quit antibiotics about ten days afo cold turkey and I was wondering when does the breakout stop?? i'm losing my mind here! i'm begining to wish i never quit in the first place. damn...please help...

I had to always use antibiotics if I wanted to go out with friends or to see relatives so they didn't freak out about my skin. This went on 12 years.

3 months ago, I tried a low-fat diet and my skin cleared up by 80%. A study found that a diet with high fat causes insulin resistance (which causes sebum/blackheads).

The diet allows up to 20 grams of fat per day. You will notice a change in your skin after exactly 3 weeks. In general, it kinda eliminates fried foods, cheese, eggs, meat, large quantities of nuts, oils or avacados. Keep the diet under 20 grams of fat!!!!

If I were you, I'd take antibiotics for the first week so that you don't go insane with the infections... and then see if you like the results of your skin at the 3 week mark.

Okay, IMO it is critical that you follow a STRICT candida diet (no sugar in ANY form...fruits, bread, carrots, potatoes, etc) and only eat non-starchy veggies, meat, etc. Please do this for at least 3 weeks...In retrospect, it would have been better to ween yourself off antibiotics, but what's done is done.

I went through the same thing, and chances are, because of the flare up, you have candida issues. Try and get fermented foods like sauerkraut, kombucha, kimchee, buttermilk, and kefir into your diet for a while and get a really good probiotic (I recommend Ultimate Flora Critical Care).

I'm sorry, but IMO, I don't think a low-fat diet is good to follow in this particular case, because the thing you want to avoid the most is sugar/carbs. So going low-fat will just be impossible because then the only thing you will have to eat is non-starchy veggies.

Tasha -- The diet I posted above is from one of the newest research available for insulin resistance and conducted at Yale University and George Washington University.

The old method of "reducing carbs and sugars" from the diet is to avoid sugars from running through the bloodstream. Because these sugars cannot be absorbed into the cells, they are left in the bloodstream and thus cause insulin spikes.

New research has found that the reason sugar cannot enter the cells is because fats are inside the cells "gumming up the locks." When fats are greatly decreased in the diet (to 20 gram a day), sugars can suddenly enter into the cells and get out of the bloodstream. This has been proven to work within 3 weeks.

I had to always use antibiotics if I wanted to go out with friends or to see relatives so they didn't freak out about my skin. This went on 12 years.

3 months ago, I tried a low-fat diet and my skin cleared up by 80%. A study found that a diet with high fat causes insulin resistance (which causes sebum/blackheads).

The diet allows up to 20 grams of fat per day. You will notice a change in your skin after exactly 3 weeks. In general, it kinda eliminates fried foods, cheese, eggs, meat, large quantities of nuts, oils or avacados. Keep the diet under 20 grams of fat!!!!

If I were you, I'd take antibiotics for the first week so that you don't go insane with the infections... and then see if you like the results of your skin at the 3 week mark.

can u post a small list of food that u eat with this diet ? :D

how long does the breakout last. i have more pills (doxycycline) but i haven't had one in eight days and i do not want to take one now....

how long does the breakout last. i have more pills (doxycycline) but i haven't had one in eight days and i do not want to take one now....

actually I just * attempted* to quit those pills for like 5 days

I ate a super clean diet...I mean really really clean...( oatmeal..mushrooms...apples...gluten free stuffs)

and guess what....I broke out like there's no tmr :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

I can literally feel something's wrong in my body...Im sure I have some kind of bacteria living in my body. I broke up around my nose and below my mouth and scalp!!! The worst part on scalp is that it hurts to lay on the even softest pillow to sleep

I ran back to the pharmacy and refilled ( im taking sulfamethoxazole btw...my derm gave me doxy before and it worked really good...but she told me doxy doesnt cover some of the stuff)

now * I think* it's under control..

I just cant stand it...I mean I have to work in a clothing store... :wall: :wall: I dun want hundreds of ppl think I have acne each day...sighsssss :wall:

Tasha -- The diet I posted above is from one of the newest research available for insulin resistance and conducted at Yale University and George Washington University.

The old method of "reducing carbs and sugars" from the diet is to avoid sugars from running through the bloodstream. Because these sugars cannot be absorbed into the cells, they are left in the bloodstream and thus cause insulin spikes.

New research has found that the reason sugar cannot enter the cells is because fats are inside the cells "gumming up the locks." When fats are greatly decreased in the diet (to 20 gram a day), sugars can suddenly enter into the cells and get out of the bloodstream. This has been proven to work within 3 weeks.

Thanks Dotty for the explanation :), and after following your other thread on this, I do think that this is something that works for some people. However, what I am talking about is not insulin resistance but candida which feeds on sugar.

@ Favre4, well for me, after antibiotics, the breakout never ended (and hasn't...because now I breakout in completely new areas) until candida is addressed. I got my post-antibiotic breakout 8 months ago. But of course, it is different for everyone. Please try and get any candida issues resolved :)

Thanks Dotty for the explanation :), and after following your other thread on this, I do think that this is something that works for some people. However, what I am talking about is not insulin resistance but candida which feeds on sugar.

@ Favre4, well for me, after antibiotics, the breakout never ended (and hasn't...because now I breakout in completely new areas) until candida is addressed. I got my post-antibiotic breakout 8 months ago. But of course, it is different for everyone. Please try and get any candida issues resolved :)

what do you mean it never ended??? did it stay as bad as it did originally? did a low-carb diet help? how is yout skin now?

Yes, it has gotten better, as in the breakout has gone down...however, the places on my face where I breakout is more numerous than before the antibiotics. Before the antibiotics, it was just my chin.

I am combatting candida, which has helped a lot, so I am on a low carb diet by default as I don't eat any sources of sugar.

The fact is that you, because of the antibiotics and the flareup, probably have candida issues that need to be addressed.