Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
greg estrada

the truth about non-ablative lasers(IPL,CoolTouch,Smthbm,etc

hey guys,

this speech i just wrote sounded so good i had to forward it to everyone--one of my finest rants ever!

Love,

Greg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subj: Re: [acnescarsupport] Re: Looking for some insights re non-ablative lasers

Date: 3/16/2004 7:28:21 PM Eastern Standard Time

To: [email protected]

hey lydia ,

sorry had to split early Sunday--glad you had fun--you are the *perfect* person to takeover the group!

here's my 2 cents on non-ablative lasers:

they are a complete waste of money *unless* they are used as a "finishing touch" or a "phase 2" in a 2-phase procedure where Phase 1 was a procedure that *physically* broke up/tore up/ripped up the scar tissue...i.e.--something that mechanically ripped up/severed the scar tissue ....you gotta *bleed* and be in *pain* first and *then* go get these laser treatments to jumpstart the collagen growth--these non-ablatives are great at stimulating collagen growth but they don't/can't mechanically bust-up the scar tissue--and that is the crucial Job#1.

If you don't *first* bust up the hard-as-rock scar tissue using primitive "blue collar" things like subcision,needling, excision,dermabrasion,etc.(all low-tech things that hurt and make you bleed) then these hi-tech painless "white collar" lasers are worthless....to use a cliche "no pain-no gain"...or "no blood-no(something good that rhymes with blood)

Jackie-your rolling scars should have had subcision done on them first (to mechanically cut the roots holding scar tissue down) and *then* did your laser stuff as "phase 2"--i'm surprised at Burgess(?)

docs *love* to do the painless and profitable lasers but *hate* to do the messy/painful/major downtime (but very effective) stuff like subcision,needling,etc...if they could just learn that they need to do BOTH--painful, mechanical stuff first, then the painless laser stuff second....

this law applies to ablative lasers too--CO2 alone is ok, but if you do subcision/excision first followed by CO2 laser = much more improvements...

Lydia--please submit my openly hostile "paper" at the next derm convention--I want my Honorary Phd in Dermatalogic Sugery!;-)

hope this helps and/or at least starts World War III :-)

Greg

I had smoothbeam done on a soft scar without any needling or anything like that and it filled in just fine. Not all scars need to bleed before they can be healed.

gREG might refer to ppl with poor healing ability eg post accutane takers. I just received a message from jackie smith who claimed that 4 treatments of IPL and cool touch dun work for him .

here's my 2 cents on non-ablative lasers:

they are a complete waste of money *unless* they are used as a \"finishing touch\" or a \"phase 2\" in a 2-phase procedure where  Phase 1 was a procedure that *physically* broke up/tore up/ripped up the scar tissue...i.e.--something that mechanically ripped up/severed the scar tissue ....you gotta *bleed* and be in *pain* first and *then* go get these laser treatments to jumpstart the collagen growth--these non-ablatives are great at stimulating collagen growth but they don't/can't mechanically bust-up the scar tissue--and that is the crucial Job#1.  

If you don't *first* bust up the hard-as-rock scar tissue using  primitive \"blue collar\" things like subcision,needling, excision,dermabrasion,etc.(all low-tech things that hurt and make you bleed) then these hi-tech painless \"white collar\" lasers are worthless....to use a cliche \"no pain-no gain\"...or \"no blood-no(something good that rhymes with blood)  

I just had my eighth smoothbeam, and my scars have been filling in a lot over the last couple treatments. I had read somewhere on here a while back that smoothbeam does un-tether the scarring. I don't know if it actually does, but I'm over seven months in on this and I've learned to be patient with it. Slooow process, but it is working for me. (along with TCA complex)

I sure know what you mean about being a wrinkly snake Maya (using the Complex)..I did a TCA Complex peel about a week before a company party thinking I would be peeled before it..wrong-o! I was so self-conscious..but the hardest part was trying to smile and laugh with that thick crust of dead skin..yikes!!!

how many layers did u put on?

On my 1st occansion, I put on 3 layers of TCA complex with a cotton bud. This shed 95% by day 4, and completely by day 5/6. I think people have found that it peels better with 3 layers, than just 1 layer/application.

I put 3 layers on and also on layer 3, I swiped the scars on my cheeks and forehead many times. I did all the 3 layers in 1 day.

I've been to this forum for a while and I think what greg says rings true with a few people I've read like tamarra. Rolling scars which have subcision and then lots of nlite could produce results you very much like.