Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Displaythis

Accutane failed me...oil is back

so i finished accutane a month ago and three weeks after finishing my skin started to get oily again. I thought that me going over the cumulative dose would maintain my skin in its normal stage of non-oilyness for quite a while...i was wrong.

Instead now with the oily skin it's only a matter of time before acne returns again.

How long did it take you post-taners in getting oily skin back? Is it possible that i may just go the rest of my life with oily skin but with no acne? i wouldnt mind that.

i know, i know...a second course? Sigh....i hope i can get on it again, but still...i had a terrible experience with accutane the first time....Anyone think the second time is much easier?

Hello,

Same thing happened with me, oil returned after a month. I freaked out at first and went to the doctor for advice. I've tried everything for oil reduction or masking it, and two products actually worked for me, although not to the same effect of accutane, it is way better than what I've tried with anything else. The first is Sebasorb. It doesnt reduce oil production, but masks it very well. It actually soaks up the oil and works as stated, unlike many other products. I'm surprised I dont hear more about it on these boards. The only drawback is when i clumped it on every day I eventually broke out. The other product which reduced oil production is Quinnova Cleanse and Treat. It's prescription, unlike the other product I mentioned, and is basically benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid. Seems like many have used this before and even I have too with little results alone, but together it has helped my face look a lot less shiny. Last resort would be low dose accutane.

Hope any of this helps!

Mine came back in full force somewhere 1 month post-tane. Even though the oil came back, acne didn't return thankfully. I am almost 6 months post tane and I am still acne free. I heard that accutane somehow changes the structure of oil so it isn't sticky anymore such that it doesn't block the pores.

Hello,

Same thing happened with me, oil returned after a month. I freaked out at first and went to the doctor for advice. I've tried everything for oil reduction or masking it, and two products actually worked for me, although not to the same effect of accutane, it is way better than what I've tried with anything else. The first is Sebasorb. It doesnt reduce oil production, but masks it very well. It actually soaks up the oil and works as stated, unlike many other products. I'm surprised I dont hear more about it on these boards. The only drawback is when i clumped it on every day I eventually broke out. The other product which reduced oil production is Quinnova Cleanse and Treat. It's prescription, unlike the other product I mentioned, and is basically benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid. Seems like many have used this before and even I have too with little results alone, but together it has helped my face look a lot less shiny. Last resort would be low dose accutane.

Hope any of this helps!

So what's happening now...are you just breakoing out? Thanks but i don't wanna put any weird products on my face, especially if it's gonna cause me to break out, like that mask you mentioned.

Mine came back in full force somewhere 1 month post-tane. Even though the oil came back, acne didn't return thankfully. I am almost 6 months post tane and I am still acne free. I heard that accutane somehow changes the structure of oil so it isn't sticky anymore such that it doesn't block the pores.

hey Maddy thanks for the words of encouragement. 6 months without acne and oily skin...nice! YEs i've noticed my oil to be more water-based and not thick and slippery. Is it the same with you?

Hello,

Hope any of this helps!

So what's happening now...are you just breakoing out? Thanks but i don't wanna put any weird products on my face, especially if it's gonna cause me to break out, like that mask you mentioned.

hey Maddy thanks for the words of encouragement. 6 months without acne and oily skin...nice! YEs i've noticed my oil to be more water-based and not thick and slippery. Is it the same with you?

I'm not sure whether my oil has become water-based but my face isn't as sticky as it used to be before accutane, but the oil is still there because my face is shiny after like an hour so oil production is still a lot.

Being oily again doesn't necessary means acne will return. I read other posts before and everyone seems to have the same problem about the oil production. I suggest you wait and see what happens instead of jumping into taking accutane again because as you said, you will be happy as long as acne doesn't return. Same for me :D

so i finished accutane a month ago and three weeks after finishing my skin started to get oily again. I thought that me going over the cumulative dose would maintain my skin in its normal stage of non-oilyness for quite a while...i was wrong.

Instead now with the oily skin it's only a matter of time before acne returns again.

How long did it take you post-taners in getting oily skin back? Is it possible that i may just go the rest of my life with oily skin but with no acne? i wouldnt mind that.

i know, i know...a second course? Sigh....i hope i can get on it again, but still...i had a terrible experience with accutane the first time....Anyone think the second time is much easier?

hi, what terrible experience did you have with accutane the first time? I have a good feeling i'll be in your same position in two months or so. I'll be done with accutane in three weeks, and I was super oily prior to accutane treatment

the first time...well all was fine except through doing blunts i caught a cold sore...and with a suppressed immune system it broke out all over my lips for TWO months..it was horryfing...people would stare at me ....that's about it i guess. i also had a lot of boogers on my nose that i couldnt breathe

My oil returned around one and a half months after accutane.

My course though, was shorter and lower dose than standard - i was on 40 mg a month for 3 months then 30mg for the last month and im 6ft 4, the reason for this was i had only moderate acne to start with, and it responded well and rapidly to treatment, and i started getting some nasty side effects like blurred vision and hair loss.

But i had about a month and a half of dry, clear skin after tane then the oil returned, and since then - im about 2.5 months post now - ive had a few breakouts, get bad spots from shaving and definitely am getting some tiny under the skin pimples daily.

Anyone else experience this? I really dont want to have to go on a second dose - and im not sure the mildness of my acne would allow it any more. I feel they are going to cycle me on some topicals again ugh

In my experience:

First course, skin started to get oily about a month after I finished. I didn't pay attention to when the acne started coming back, but about a year later it was definitely back. :/

Second course, same thing oil-wise. Now I think my skin is about as oily as it was before any Accutane. However it's been just over a year since I finished the second course and no acne, save for some small whiteheads at the end of the day, or the occasional spot.

2 weeks after stopping accutane, my oil glands were back at it, and 1 week after that the acne was back. It didn't matter what the dosage was