Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nali_Blessed

My Accutane Adventure (Nali's Accutane Blog)

Hello everyone,

My name is Nali and I'm starting Accutane (40 mg) for the first time today. I'm 29 years old and have been "friends" with acne (ha ha, whatever!) for 16 years.

I have stubborn cystic acne that just doesn't want to leave me alone. I've tried everything and more to help solve the problem, but obviously nothing has worked, because here I am writing my first Accutane blog entry. :lol:

I have been reading many other blogs here and they have been so helpful. I decided to start one myself because these message boards are a great support system. Everyone has a great understanding of each other simply because we're all in the same boat.

So, as I sit here thinking about my upcoming journey on accutane, I'm hoping and praying that I will be able to also have your support. I'm ultimately also hoping that Accutane will be THE product to help my skin.

Thanks so much and talk to you soon!

Nali

Day 2

It's Day 2 of accutane. I must say that my apprehension of being on it got the best of me yesterday. I felt so on edge all day, knowing that I was finally using Accutane after trying to avoid using it for so many years.

Nevertheless, it's now Day 2. I'm simply waiting now for the first party of the initial breakout. :dance:

My goal is to keep as positive about everything as possible. I'm so grateful to be on this site because I have a better sense of what to expect while on Accutane simply by reading everyone else's experiences in their logs and/or on the message boards.

Talk to you later,

Nali

Hey Nali,

Just hear to offer my support like you did for me:) we are starting around the same time so it'll be fun to check in with each other. I put some advice on my log about what you can do to reduce the chances of some zits becoming dark spots (if you havent already tried them) they work for me sometimes so check it out!

good luck!!

Hey Guys,

good luck with accutane, Ive been one week on it today and still kind of the same as when I started.

BTW, can you tell how do I post a pic on my accutane blog?

check it out.

cheers

R

PS: acne sucks

Hey Guys,

good luck with accutane, Ive been one week on it today and still kind of the same as when I started.

BTW, can you tell how do I post a pic on my accutane blog?

check it out.

cheers

R

PS: acne sucks

Hey R,

Thanks for stopping by. :) Here's how you can post a picture to your log:

1. Hit "reply" or post a message.

2. Go to "Attachments" (second section).

3. Click "browse" to find the picture file on your computer.

4. Hit the "upload" button.

5. When you are finished typing your message and uploading the picture(s), press "Add Reply" to post it to your log.

Wishing you all the best, R! Keep in touch!

Nali

Day Three

The dreaded initial breakout has yet to begin. Nevertheless, I have noticed some things today since being on Accutane.

1. I'm much more tired than usual when I'd otherwise be energetic.

2. The sun really isn't my friend any more. Photosensitivity is kicking in.

3. Parts of my skin has already started becoming itchy (even though it's still appears very oily).

Has anyone else experienced any of the above this early? I wasn't expecting it on Day 3 to be honest!

I'm trying my best to make sure I drink lots of water, eat well and workout.

Hope everyone is keeping well. Talk to you soon,

Nali

Day 6

For a couple of days, I didn't feel as great as I hoped. It did worry me a bit, but I'm taking everything in stride.

For two evenings, I couldn't sleep well because my head felt "heavy", as if it was under pressure. Last night, I slept very welll, and so I'm hoping that those feelings were just a part of the adjustment to Accutane.

Has anyone else experienced this as well?

Also, my doctor says to try staying off of foods that have Vitamin A because of the high concentration of Vit. A in the Accutane. I've been trying to do so, but was amazed yesterday when I discovered that romaine lettuce is actually very high in it!

Parts of my skin are definitely starting to show signs of drying, and are becoming slightly irritated / itchy.

Other than that, it's all good. ;)

Talk to you soon. Hope everyone is keeping well and enjoying the day.

Nali

Day 10

Celebration! I threw away the first factory-sealed packet that contained the first ten Clarus (accutane) capsules! Whoo hoo! :dance:

I can officially say that the intial breakout has begun. My face is quite sore and very sensitive. Washing my face now isn't a fun task at times. On the positive side, it means that this stuff is starting to do its thing.

I have to get my first blood test next week.

I'm also still learning about foods that contain lots of Vitamin A. Tomatoes are also quite high in Vitamin A. Too much of a good thing (in this case, Vitamin A) is not a good thing for me.

Hope you all have a good weekend!

Nali

Day 13

After washing my face this morning, I really noticed just how dry my skin is becoming. It's quite sensitive now. My lips especially are starting to become very dry and crack.

I have been trying numerous lip balms (as well as drink lots of water) to help the dry lips. I found one at the pharmacy today and think it's absolutely great! Its' a new product and I wanted to share it with you all:

Polysporin Lip Treatment: Cracked Lips (helps heal and relieve soreness).

Never knew Polysporin had a lip care line! Nevertheless, this particular one is GREAT! I was never able to find the Aquaphor lip balm. I've been using the Aveeno Active Naturals "Intense Relief Therapy" lip protectant as well as another one called Nivea Lip Care "Hydro Care".

I bought the moisturizing Spectrogel for cleansing my face, but haven't really used it yet. I continue to use Murad's Acne Complex products, specifically for sensitive skin. I use the Clarifying Cleanser, followed by the Moisturizing Acne Treatment Gel. I find that they have been helping me so far.

Anyhow, must get some sleep. I'll write again soon.

All the best and enjoy the day. We have got to stay positive and keep smiling (even with the acne bothering us all). :whistle:

Nali

Day 14

Wow, just when I thought that the Murad Acne Complex products were helping me, I need to stop them! :)

I guess my skin has become SOOOO very sensitve now, that those products are an absolute NO now. Today for instance, my skin feels like it was on fire all day. It's been very uncomfortable and sore. Definitely itchy, too. That's when I brought out the Spectrogel to wash my face and Moisturel for moisturizing.

Looking at my skin, I am surely breaking out in places as expected, but strangely enough, the previous mark (dark spots from previous pimples after they healed) are not as evident. Perhaps it's wishful thinking that they look different, I don't know. I will take a closer look at it tomorrow to make sure I'm seeing right. :unsure:

Tomorrow's my first blood test. Yikes, needles and I have never liked each other very much. I shiver at the thought of it...

Hope you're all keeping well. Talk to you soon!

Nali

Day 14

Wow, just when I thought that the Murad Acne Complex products were helping me, I need to stop them! :)

I guess my skin has become SOOOO very sensitve now, that those products are an absolute NO now. Today for instance, my skin feels like it was on fire all day. It's been very uncomfortable and sore. Definitely itchy, too. That's when I brought out the Spectrogel to wash my face and Moisturel for moisturizing.

Looking at my skin, I am surely breaking out in places as expected, but strangely enough, the previous mark (dark spots from previous pimples after they healed) are not as evident. Perhaps it's wishful thinking that they look different, I don't know. I will take a closer look at it tomorrow to make sure I'm seeing right. :unsure:

Tomorrow's my first blood test. Yikes, needles and I have never liked each other very much. I shiver at the thought of it...

Hope you're all keeping well. Talk to you soon!

Nali

hi nali,

just wanted to drop by to say good luck on your course. it seems that you and i have had a similar history of acne... long term stubborn cystic acne. i am 2 months in tomorrow .. i found that murad didn't work very well for me, actually caused me to break out more. currently i'm using Skintelligence from Market America, which I have found to be pretty good for sensitive skin but if you have found something that works, that's cool too :) i had breakouts and scabbiness until about the 7th week, and then it started clearing and now i only have 3 bumps that are (slowly) coming down

hope it goes well for you!

rydia

Day 20

Hooray! I threw out another empty factory-sealed packet of Clarus capsules (accutane)! I normally wouldn't be excited over such a thing, but I am trying to be as positive as possible and celebrate any tiny milestone. :)

My face is now starting to dry to the point where I put on lotion, but it appears as if I didn't put any on at all (in certain places). My lips are still peeling a lot, but I continue to use the variety of lip balms I have just about everywhere.

People have commented that they have noticed a difference in my skin already, that it's "much more clear" than before. I don't know if they're saying that to be nice and encouraging, or if it really does look that different.

All I know is that I've started getting pimples on my face in areas I normally wouldn't get them. Examples: eyebrows, very close to my eyes and lips. :( I do have two cysts on my left jawline. I have other pimples that have come up, but it hasn't been completely unbearable...yet. :)

Talk to you soon!

Nali

P.S. I'll try and post a picture sometime before I head back to my doctor for the first check-up.

Progress!! It will only get better for you from here on in. As time goes on you will notice blemishes pop up but it's never as bad as it was prior to starting accutane. I was going through my camera the other day and I found a video I took of my skin sans makeup prior to starting accutane. Although I still get blemishes I have nothing to complain about compared to what it used to look like. You will notice the same for yourself. Looking forward to hearing about your journey!

Day 30

Today I threw out the third "installment" (empty packet of 10) Clarus capsules! For some reason, whenever that happens, it makes me very happy. So today marks 30 days on Accutane.

So far, I have noticed that my skin has improved somewhat, even though I have a few deep pimples under the skin. Some are painful, some are not. The dry skin however has definitely brought a noticeable difference in the dark spots that remained after previous pimples.

I was on 40 mg per day for this past month. Tomorrow I visit my doctor for my first check-up. I have had two blood tests, and hopefully, will get to review the results of both at that appointment. I am also curious to know if my doctor will keep me at the current dosage, or increase it.

I'll surely have to post again to update you on the start of phase 2 of 4 or 5 (she should I will most likely be on it for 4 or 5 months).

Talk to you soon. I hope you are all keeping well and smiling, even with all this going on.

Nali

Day 31

I went to my doctor for my first month check-up. She was very pleased to see the few cysts on my face that are so deep, as well as the few other "friends". Hey, I'm glad that SOMEONE is excited and happy to see me with acne on my face! :D I know that I sure don't feel the same way. ;) All jokes aside, she felt happy that the 40 mg per day that I started on has done its job quite well in a month's time.

Now, she wants me on 80 mg per day (one capsule, twice a day). I was kind of hoping she'd increase it to 60 first, but she believes that the full dose @ 80 mg for the next three months will help things very well. Upon hearing her say this, I felt really nervous at the doubled amount, but I told her that I trust her judgment and will go along with it.

So that's the update. Month 2 officially starts for me tomorrow. I'll try to take the first capsule at between 7 - 9 a.m., and then the second one 12 hours later. We'll see how this goes. :)

Thanks for reading! Talk to you soon. Enjoy the weekend!

Nali

Day 31

I went to my doctor for my first month check-up. She was very pleased to see the few cysts on my face that are so deep, as well as the few other "friends". Hey, I'm glad that SOMEONE is excited and happy to see me with acne on my face! :D I know that I sure don't feel the same way. ;) All jokes aside, she felt happy that the 40 mg per day that I started on has done its job quite well in a month's time.

Now, she wants me on 80 mg per day (one capsule, twice a day). I was kind of hoping she'd increase it to 60 first, but she believes that the full dose @ 80 mg for the next three months will help things very well. Upon hearing her say this, I felt really nervous at the doubled amount, but I told her that I trust her judgment and will go along with it.

So that's the update. Month 2 officially starts for me tomorrow. I'll try to take the first capsule at between 7 - 9 a.m., and then the second one 12 hours later. We'll see how this goes. :)

Thanks for reading! Talk to you soon. Enjoy the weekend!

Nali

hi nali, how are you?

glad to see that you are keeping positive about the experience. i think i remember when i was one month in i was so depressed cuz my IB was horrible! let us know how the double dosage works out. i think the accutane will work its stuff quite quickly in you on that dose.

did you ever find a makeup brand that works for you?

hey nali, how is your course going?

whereabouts in canada are you? i'm in toronto.

hope all is well with your treatment.