Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lily Marie

Accutane: flipping acne the bird

My Acne Background

I've had perfect skin for the past 17 years. yes, i said perfect. zits did not exsist on my face. life was rainbows and fuzzy bunnies.

The time that my senior year of high school rolled around I started noticing some unwanted friends showing up on my cheeks of all places. usually the T zone is where i'd get ONE right before my period and would vanish the next day. So, I think alright, i'll let it go cuz i know this bitch isn't stickin aournd. Unfortunately, the breakout came fast and big. both of my cheeks were COVERED. I promptly make an appointment wiht my derm, and she prescribes me minocycline. I was on that for about 3 months, and was back to normal.

Now, this next big breakout is the one that has forced me to resort to accutane. I'm in the closing months of my freshman year of college. I'm 19, cute and ready to take on the world. ... until i notice a familiar bastard looking at me from my cheeck. i start thinking "ok... i've been of minocycline for a while." ( i had been taking it pretty consistently through my frosh year of college and decided to go off it.) SO, being my optimistic self, I let it go, thinking it'll go away in a couple days and be all good. Helll to the No.

Let me lay it out for you... I went to school at Eastern Oregon University. Its basically in the corner of bumfuck and you got a perdy mouth... so obviously there was no derm out there. I had to wait until i was back home in civilized Portland, OR.

So here I am, now a couple months deep into NO derm care, and no kind of usual remedy worked. No BP, Apple fast / detox, Salycylic Acid, Homeopathic Remedy,.... NOTHING WORKED. My skin looked like absolute shit.

FINALLY. a derm appointment. she put me back on the usual stuff. minocycline. no luck. topical creams next... nada. She suggests the most disgusting four letter word... TANE. I say hell no. It goes against everything I have ever believed. I'm almost opposed to antibiotics!! I try to stay as natural as possible. So i decline. Second visit: she suggests it again. I give in, quite tearfully after she says my skin is resisting the antibiotics since i've been on them so long. Alright. Its accutane time bitches. lets knock this out once and for all. I start next week and can't wait!!

you won't regret it! accutane is so amazing. if i could be a spokes person for accutane, i most definitely would be. you won't see another pimple for a long, long time and who knows? maybe you'll never have a pimple again. go ahead and buy some aquaphor and chapstick and you're set. :)

you won't regret it! accutane is so amazing. if i could be a spokes person for accutane, i most definitely would be. you won't see another pimple for a long, long time and who knows? maybe you'll never have a pimple again. go ahead and buy some aquaphor and chapstick and you're set. :)

haha awesome. where can i pick up aquaphor? is it just like a glossy chapstick?

it's not a chapstick... it's much thicker and moisturizers yours lips much more. you'll need it when your lips get ridiculously dry or cracked. you can usually find aquaphor in the baby aisle near the diapers and ointments in the grocery store, or walmart, or cvs.

aquaphor.jpg

and

aquaphor_baby_healing_ointment_14_oz_reviews_1084422_raw.jpg

awesome! i'm putting it on my list of stuff to get at CVS tomorrow. any other helpful products you know of would be greatly appreciated too!

Thanks!!

its up to u but ive heard so many bad things about accutane....Seems like its not worth it since it takes months and months anyways.....and u still get breakouts on it...and bad side effects

its up to u...ive never tried it so i got no big say. but i kinda went through the same thing of clear skin until sophmore year in high school and it hit big time to moderately severe......i tried tons and tons of trial and error...i tried that DAMN APPLE FAST SCAM too!!! i hate that guy hes such a fake ass fruit.

I got rid of my acne more accidenetly...Check my sig below to see how i did it. If u dont see results after like 2 days of that then dont to it cuz thats all it took for me....

prety much jus getting tan ridded all my acne...and then the list of things to keep it clean and fight acne over night.

thanks for the reply but i have definately tried proactive/tanning/swimming before and they only made things worse. accutane is my last resort. i was really against it too for a while, but there have been such good results with it that i'm willing to try it. its kind of a guarantee.

Its 7am, and i'm almost ready to go get my blood drawn for the preliminary tests before i start accutane. Only 1 week left til i can start!! I'm pretty excited to know i'm actually doing something that is guaranteed to finally get rid of these spots on my face.

Last night I was tossing and turning about 1am just thinking about what i'm going to look like once my skin is all healed. I really can't wait to be myself again. I definately won't take good skin for granted after this...

I'll post again in a week with "before" photos!

Happy Accutane-ing.

Lily.

I just got my blood drawn today. I start month 2 tomorrow and right now my face is almost completely clear (blackheads and red marks) My advice to you is to be careful about how much you wash your face when it starts to get dry, start applying moisturizer now, drink lots and lots and lots of water, and take care of your hair...

My hair started falling out because it was so dry. I used to have really fine hair that I would wash up to twice a day and now I don't need to wash my hair for almost three days. I started taking a vitamin b complex and have been using jojoba oil. Now my hair doesn't fall out anymore!! Well, not more than usual anyway. Good luck! I don't think you'll regret this at all.

OK. I'm getting cold feet about the whole accutane decision. As time wears on, the more nervous i become. I have been self-medicating with azalex ( azaleic acid 20% ) since I read the post about finacea that just seemed too good to be true. So far, I have actually noticed some results. my overall redness and the hyperpigmentation that was just AWFUL seem to be reducing daily. I am going to continue with this until my appointment next tuesday to see if i can't just cure this myself without accutane....

any words of advice here??