Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
marytacker

WHAT DOES IT MEAN WHEN A GUY GIVES YOU HIS NUMBER?

So, I work at Blockbuster and I have to say, my skin has been looking pretty good lately and I've been in a surprisingly cheerful mood. Anyway, I rang up this guy on my register today.. Really cute, had bright blue eyes and very clean-cut looking. He smiled when he came to my register and said, "Hi, How are you?" And I was a little surprised because first of all, he's very attractive and second of all, most people are not that polite and don't say anything to me at all. Anywho... after I gave him his receipt and said goodbye, he asked "So, have you seen this movie? What do you think? Good, bad?" I said, "Honestly, I haven't seen this one but I heard it was really sweet. Good date movie." And then, he goes and asks my manager, who was standing behind me, what he thought of it. And then he just kind of stood there and smiled, trying to figure out what to do next, it seemed. Then, he asked me if I could throw away his receipt for him. Said he didn't need it. Kind of weird, I thought. lol Then, he finally leaned in and said, "Y'know, I'm not sure if I am allowed to do this while you're working but, if you ever want to watch some movies together, you should call me." And so, immediately, I am grinning like an idiot and trying to stay calm because I can't say I've ever really been in this situation before. So I said sure, gave him a piece of paper and a pen, and while he was writing his number down I asked him his name and told him mine. Then he stuck out his hand and said, "Nice to meet you" and smiled. So then, I said, "Allright, well, I'll give you a call sometime." And he said, "You better!" and then left.

I am just wondering: why didn't he ask for my number? Should I call or text him? When should I do that and what do I say? Is he just being a flirt and am I wasting my time even thinking about this? Anyway, some input from a guy's point of view would be appreciated. :)

P.S.

The movie he got was called "Definitely, Maybe." A chick flick. So right off the bat, I figured he most likely has a girlfriend. That's why I am a little skeptical because there is no way a guy would rent a movie like that voluntarily. Do you think he has a girlfriend?

He has a lot of guts to do that, I'll admit. Give him a call and see where it leads too?

Edit:

Maybe? I don't think anyone can tell you right off the bat what this guy is thinking. So your best bet is our best bet.

So let's see... you know the guy's name. Sounds like a winner to me!

I'm just a little confused. I THOUGHT that if a guy was really interested in a girl, he's ask for her number and make the first move. I'm a really shy person and although I am interested, I don't know that I'd have the courage to call/text this person.

If you are a guy and you GIVE your number to a girl.. what does that even mean?

Dude, guys watch chick flicks whether they want to admit it or not :cool:

I think that's absolutely charming! Give the guy a call. Texting, I find is pointless unless it's with friends. You'll never know until you try.

^thanks for your input! Gosh, I really hate these dating/phoning rules. I overthink everything way too much as it is. I don't know if it's just me being the cynic that I am but every time a guy tries to hit on me I get the feeling that he's just a perv! I would much rather meet a guy in a lecture or something. But, my one friend told me that by giving me his number he's being a nice guy. He's letting me think it over if he's really worth my time and he's not being pushy. But then most of my girlfriends are telling me that I should have given him my number instead of accepting his. I don't know. I already forgot what he looks like. I just remember he had blue eyes.

I always wanted a summer fling.....

Just call him. Even if you two just become friends...date...have a summer fling...it will be fun. At least you'll have something to do when you get bored.

ill tell you from a guys perspective the girl sometimes making the first move or a move that is always supposed to be the guy is actually really nice. sorry for the long sentence hah

Guest kiwikali

aww what a cute story!! i love those kinds of stories! call him in like 2 or 3 days. you know to not be so eager or whatever... and just go on a casual date or something like that. he wouldn't have asked if he wasn't attracted to you. :)

good luckk! :D

take it from me(guy)...who parties a lot and always has a girlfriend or is hookin up with girls

Well if he was bein really cocky he mighta been like told to do that by his friend or something but idk..

i would defiently TEXT him sayin something like "hey u" or somethin.... settin up for a flirt or something

im 100% sure if u text him back hes gonna ask wut ur doin n if u wanna hang out.

i know he AT LEAST wants to hook up with u...just hope for more

I think that was really considerate of him to give you his number instead of asking for yours. I would NEVER give my number out to a stranger. I used to work as a domestic violence advocate and let me tell you, those psychotic bastards are professionals at acting like normal, sweet guys. Now I trust no one!

So for him to understand that you might be reluctant to give your number out is actually the mark of a nice guy, I think.

Keltron makes a good point. Forget dating etiquette..... for safety reasons alone I wouldn't give my number out!

it means that he didn't expect to get your phone number if he asked for it out of the blue.

if a stranger asks for your phone number at work, it might come across as creepy, or it might put you under so much sudden pressure that you would say no, even if you liked the guy. the next best thing is for the guy to give you his number, so you can think about it on your own time.

this guy is just being smooth. nuffin wrong wit dat.

I will be caution if I were you. If you are looking for a summer fling, by all means call him because there is a possibility that he is also looking for one as well. And after a few months it will be over.

I'm a conservative person and any guy whom I met the first time starts coming on to me like that I will get creep out because face it, he only met you once what does he know about you? He just likes you because you are pretty. I will only go out with someone I have known for some time. If he really likes you and wants to start a relationship, he will come back and ask why you didn't call( since he knows where you work anyway.)

Go for it girl!

I also admire that guys guts, he seemed nervous but managed to pull it off. You probably made his day.

edit:

I also just realized that he gave you his number...

Let me just tell you how sad guys can be if a girl doesn't call them. Its a test of faith in you and interest. CALL HIM!

Call him up! Guy has the balls to approach you like that. Dont let a good thing pass by.

well if i give a girl my # it's cuz i dont want her to be freaked out that she doesn't know me or w/e so i don't want to come on too strong. i just let her know that i'm interested and if she's interested give me a call, if not, no big deal.

He's probably just a businessman, trying to sell you stuff...

Lol, no, I'm just joking...

Well, from the whole story, sounds to me like the guy was interested in you, but obviously didn't have the guts to do the entire art of flirting/hooking up, and hence, he has left the choice to you to have some kind of a relationship with him or not.

I think you should do what you want. Don't be afraid. If he ends up being a joke/disappointment/has a girlfriend, then he can just go back to being that stranger that you saw at your job.

i work at blockbuster too :-o

I don't see why you wouldn't call him seeing as that probably made your day since you said you were smiling so much when he said that.

I truly believe he is just looking for sex without stings attact and he prolly have a gf already. Work is work, so don't go futher.

My bestfriend has a steady gf already and he still pick up chicks.

okay, something about me was concerned that he might just want to get laid but then 3 things came to mind:

1. why would he go through all that trouble? he's a very good-looking guy and I'm sure he could get some any time he wanted from any girl.

2. I AM A VERY SIMPLE LOOKING GIRL. ALSO, I am in a freaking dorky uniform! If a guy just wants sex, wouldn't he approach a girl who is kind of slutty-looking?

3. My worst fear is that he thinks that I'm just a kinky Asian girl/closet freak. That's the absolute worst.

Well, it's been officially one day since I got the number. I think I will text him tomorrow.....?

So, I work at Blockbuster and I have to say, my skin has been looking pretty good lately and I've been in a surprisingly cheerful mood. Anyway, I rang up this guy on my register today.. Really cute, had bright blue eyes and very clean-cut looking. He smiled when he came to my register and said, "Hi, How are you?" And I was a little surprised because first of all, he's very attractive and second of all, most people are not that polite and don't say anything to me at all. Anywho... after I gave him his receipt and said goodbye, he asked "So, have you seen this movie? What do you think? Good, bad?" I said, "Honestly, I haven't seen this one but I heard it was really sweet. Good date movie." And then, he goes and asks my manager, who was standing behind me, what he thought of it. And then he just kind of stood there and smiled, trying to figure out what to do next, it seemed. Then, he asked me if I could throw away his receipt for him. Said he didn't need it. Kind of weird, I thought. lol Then, he finally leaned in and said, "Y'know, I'm not sure if I am allowed to do this while you're working but, if you ever want to watch some movies together, you should call me." And so, immediately, I am grinning like an idiot and trying to stay calm because I can't say I've ever really been in this situation before. So I said sure, gave him a piece of paper and a pen, and while he was writing his number down I asked him his name and told him mine. Then he stuck out his hand and said, "Nice to meet you" and smiled. So then, I said, "Allright, well, I'll give you a call sometime." And he said, "You better!" and then left.

I am just wondering: why didn't he ask for my number? Should I call or text him? When should I do that and what do I say? Is he just being a flirt and am I wasting my time even thinking about this? Anyway, some input from a guy's point of view would be appreciated. :)

P.S.

The movie he got was called "Definitely, Maybe." A chick flick. So right off the bat, I figured he most likely has a girlfriend. That's why I am a little skeptical because there is no way a guy would rent a movie like that voluntarily. Do you think he has a girlfriend?

its because he doesnt want to look like a creep and giving u the power. call him. guys dont give their #away if they were just flirting.

He might be just looking for sex.

He might be a really nice guy looking for a relationship.

You might think you're plain, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Maybe he thinks you're beautiful. My ex-boyfriend was really good looking and had an amazing personality, and I couldn't figure out why he was attracted to me (at the time, I had acne, didn't wear makeup, was scrawny and wore clothes that didn't flatter my figure. I was tired of trying to meet a standard of beauty that I couldn't achieve). But he thought I was really cute, and he liked the fact that I wasn't superficial. He doesn't like makeup and didn't want me to wear it.

So don't make assumptions. Use your good judgment. Give him a call, see how it goes, if he's creepy then don't go out with him again, if he's nice then keep going.