Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I just read somewhere that AHA and retinol should not be used together. Does this mean they can't be used in the same routine at all, or just not used layered in conjunction on top of each other?

What about all the people who use Green Cream and Mandelic?

I think they're fine together. I'm using Diacneal, which contains both a retinoid and glycolic acid (an AHA) in the same product. And I know some derms prescribe a retinoid for use at night and Finacea (which is an AHA as well) in the morning. I think the main reason they are "to be avoided" is excessive irritation, not any true product interactions.

great! that makes a lot of sense. everyone on this board is so much help and has so much knowledge.

I have another question also. I know Retinoids are mostly for use at night. Is there a certain time of day I would have to use a BHA or AHA. I am under the impression that a BHA can be layered under a retinoid, but could I use something like GC at night by itself with moisturizer and then something like Paula's Choice 2% BHA gel during the day with sunscreen on top?

I use Paula's 2% BHA during the day with sunscreen on top :)

I believe that BHAs and AHAs can both make you more sun-sensitive, especially AHAs as they're really working on the surface of your skin, but they don't actually degrade in sunlight the way retinoids do. So as long as you're using sunscreen (which really, everyone should regardless of what they put on their skin) they should be fine for use during the day.

Also, BP actually is more sun-sensitive than the HAs are. Because it's an -oxide, it increases free radical damage to your skin and it's important to wear it under sunscreen if you use it during the day.

The only thing you dont use with a retinoid is BP, they cancel each other out, or something along the lines of that.

But yeh what i do is 10% MA in the morning, after a workout or w/e(usually around 5pm) i shower and use 2% BHA after...and right before i sleep i rinse my face really quick and apply GC and go to bed.

If your skin can handle it and you want to layer an exfoliant with GC, kevin suggested that GC should always go on first...at least so he told me.

I dont use sunscreen or moisturizer though..and i jumped in and started using gc6 every night (and with amazing results i might add!)

I just read somewhere that AHA and retinol should not be used together. Does this mean they can't be used in the same routine at all, or just not used layered in conjunction on top of each other?

I heard the same thing! Apparently only retinol is deactivated when used in conjunction with AHA. Other retinoids, however, stay stable. This is why Diacneal is an acception. It uses retinal with AHA, not retinol. Nearly identical names, but they are different types of retinoids. That's only what I've heard though. ;)

Yet to still be safe, I use my retinol cream and AHA gel on alternating nights. In the mornings, I just use a 2% BHA and wear sunscreen. For a while I used BHA and AHA in the mornings, and then retinol at night, but using the AHA during the day caused too much sun damage for me.

Good luck! :dance:

I use 2% BHA in the morning too under sunscreen. I am currently also using it at night and i will start using a retinol too about three times a week. I will start with GC lvl 3.