Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wantingskinfreedom

Accutane (Claravis) 60mg/day for 5 months.

First of all, I'd like to say a very GOOD LUCK to anyone else. This is a tough journey, and I hope we all get through it with results in the end!

Background:

Age - 18

Sex - Female

Length of time with acne - 4 years

Tried medications - Doxy, Tetracycline, BP prescribed, Proactiv

I'll be reporting back every morning, in a bit of detail, on just how my course is going. I'm trying to make this very easy to follow, and not confusing. Haha, I guess I'm kind of acting like the world is going to read this, but I hope some people do.

2 weeks before starting up until Month 1:

post-76636-1219169118_thumb.jpg

post-76636-1219169118_thumb.jpg

DAY 1

Skin:As far as my skin goes, I did wake up with a very flat but still raised red bump on my cheek and a whitehead on my chin. This isn't any different than normal, though. As far as old acne, still very much there. Also there is no dry skin or lips yet, which isn't to be expected for at least a week I hear.

Other potential side effects:My eyes are dry, and I was very fatiged after taking my pills today. Also I don't seem to have an appetite. This all could be related, or unrelated!

Mood:I'm so optimistic, more than I ever have been in my life.

I just wanna stop by and say goodluck to you and may your journey be a pleasant one. You probably wont feel the dry lip until the 5th days or so. As far as dry eyes goes I felt it almost the very 1st day. I would reconmend you stocking up on aquaphor and burt's bees product for lip and dry skin treatment. Goodluck

Hey thanks so much for your reply. I'm waiting for those dry lips to set in haha, anytime the fan in my room makes them dry I'm like 'OMG CHAPSTICK.' I have aquaphor as well as medicated chapstick, thank you :)

DAY 2

Skin:As for as my skin goes today, the only actives I seem to have are 2 very red inflamed bumps on my forehead. I'm NOT going to pop or pick them, scarring is not a friend of mine. As for the actives I noticed yesterday, both have gone down or dried up already! I WAS in the sun yesterday for about an hour, and that is usually what ends up drying up any present zits. The only thing keeping my skin from being smooth is dry flaky areas where a pimple was, that always happens with or without Accutane. I really want those flipping red marks to go away too =/ No dry skin or lips yet either.

Sun sensitivity:As far as potential sun sensitivity goes, I'm just being in the sun like normal and my mom is watching to see if I turn a shade of pink or anything. So far so good, but I don't expect this to set in so suddenly, maybe after a week? My nose and cheeks are a very dark shade of brown for only being in the sun for an hour, though. Darker than I've ever seem them to be honest, haha. I could enjoy that.

Other potential side effects:Dry eyes still. Fatigue is gone, though, and my appetite is back so I figure those were unrelated to Accutane. Sometimes my birth control messes with my appetite.

Mood:Another happy day, I'm loving this. I've been on crying spells lately from my birth control and skin, and I haven't shed a tear since I've started.

Hey I started accutane today, I just wanted to stop by and offer some support! good luck!

Thank you for your support!

Day 3

Skin:As far as my skin goes today, I still have a few actives on my forehead, and one on my cheek. This is very normal, where I normally break out and everything. The reason I still have a few on my forehead is because I haven't popped em'! I don't want to, I'm afraid Accutane will cause more scarring than normal. Still have flaky spots where old pimples have dried up and gone. I'm putting on lots of Cetaphil in the morning, and at night to control this. No real dry skin or dry lips yet. I'mmmm waiting!

Sun sensitivity:I wasn't in the sun yesterday, so I don't know :P

Other potential side effects:Just still got those dry eyes, I'm positive it's from Accutane now.

Mood:I had another good day, this is nuts! Haha, I'm normally crabby from my birth control, or my skin. I'm actually wearing my hair down now and being happy all the time.

Hey! I started around the same time you did. Ya I get the dry eyes too on accutane and I wear contacts so its annoying. I carry eye drops with me all the time they help a lot....anyways good luck on your journey hope you get cleared up soon

Oh no I can't imagine how much worse it must be with contacts! I think I'll start carrying eyedrops around as well. Thanks for the reply!

DAY 4

Skin:As far as my skin goes today, the actives on my forehead are now dried up. They leave a dry sort of mountain for days, though, which I can deal with! I woke up with a red bump on my cheek, though. I felt it last night so I kept touching it by accident haha, so I'm not surprised it's bigger today. My skin is more oily since I've started, but I heard this is normal for the first week and then you start to dry up. I'm taking it easy on the moisturizing until then because it just adds fuel to the fire. No dry skin or lips yet!

Sun sensitivity:Well, I laid out in the sun for about a half hour yesterday. My nose got a little red, and also my cheeks. I guess it's time to start wearing sunscreen.

Other potential side effects:Dry eyes again.

Mood:I'm happy that my acne is very mild right now, but those red marks just blow. I want it all to be gone before late December and I'm not sure if it will :( But it's not enough to get me down just yet! Still had a happy day!

I'm also on Claravis brand accutane, but 7 weeks in. Started off 40mg for first month, and my side effects were back pain, dry lips and dry eyes first few days(oddly, went away after like a week). I'm getting close to the end of month 2 now, and side effects are starting to increase. I'm noticing nose bleeds and drier skin. But I can expect that since my dose was doubled. I didn't really break out badly during the first month, actually seemed to get better, but at the start of month two I started to break out. It's starting to get a lil better now, but this stuff is unpredictable. 5 spots will heal within a week, but new spots will just pop up replacing the others. Anyway, GL.

Hey thanks for your reply. I don't think my dose will be increased at all during my course, so I'm hoping and praying for no breakout in the second month like you noted. Good luck to you.

DAY 5

Skin:My forehead is totally clear of zits, but red marks still linger. On my cheek I still have a very large red bump. It's a little painful, and just really annoying, but it should start to go down within a few days I'd imagine. My other cheek just has a flat whitehead, that'll be gone by tomorrow. Skin is still a lot more oily, but I expect this to go away. It's not causing me to breakout any, it's just very shiny! No dry skin or lips yet.

Sun sensitivity:I definitely have it, I get pretty tan within minutes. I wear SPF45 on my face, and 15 on the rest of my body since I'm not out in the sun for very long ever.

Other potential side effects:Dry eyes.

Mood:Skin-wise I'm pretty happy, but like I said red marks just blow big time. Trying to stay optimistic, and so far it's working.

DAY 6

Skin:As far as my skin goes today, I still have that large red bump on my cheek. It formed a small white head yesterday, so I took 2 qtips and squeezed a bit and it popped. I doubt all of it came to the surface, though, it's still a red bump the next morning but not as large. On the other cheek I have a smaller red bump that has a whitehead, but I'm not touching. On my forehead, though, I have a few really small red bumps along my hairline. I also have those dry flaky spots where a zit has gone, but a lot of those have gone away. My lips were a bit dry when I woke up, but I put on chapstick immediately. No dry skin yet, besides where a zit has gone.

Other potential side effects:Just dry eyes. This will probably be here everyday, haha. It isn't bad enough that I need eyedrops, though.

Mood:No reason not to be happy, except that red bump. It just catches my eyesight before anything. Loving Accutane so far :)

DAY 7 - One week mark, woo!

Skin:Okay so that red bump is still there, it's super dry though so I know it's going to heal and disappear. I have just 2 small clogged pores on my forehead that should be gone in no time! My forehead is starting to look so good to me, small clogged pores don't bug me at all. So I've only got 4 or 5 actives which I can deal with. I really really don't want an IB. My skin was a LOT less oily today, and I'm hoping that trend keeps up today. My complexion was so matte, I loved it. My lips have begun to get chaped. Not a whole lot, but it's there. I accidentally bit a piece of my lip off where it was chapped, and it stings like crazy today.

Other potential side effects:Dry eyes. Also, my arms and legs are pretty itchy lately. I put lots of lotion on them when I get out of the shower at night. I think I'm going to start putting it on when I wake up too. Also, my joints were extremely stiff in my legs when I woke up. I do workout everyday but I've never felt anything like this.

Mood:I think the reason why I'm so happy and non-irritable lately is drinking so much water! I'm drinking literally a 20 fl oz. bottle every HOUR for a good 10 hours. I never drink this much water, and I'm usually cranky! Haha, good stuff, good day.

DAY 8

Skin:Well, that red bump is scabbed over. Also, next to it but not "attached" to it like a cyst was another very small clogged pore which is also scabbed over. Also next to it was another old zit that is scabbed over as well. So much scabbing! It all just looks like a cystic patch of dry skin, I can't wait for it to go away. I still just have those healing clogged pores by my hairline that aren't noticeable to me. Then I do have a really stubborn, but small, nodule on my forehead that gets smaller everyday. I'm definitely getting less oily by the day, but I'm still shiny. My lips are getting more chapped too. Skin is getting more flaky, I want it to dry! haha

Sun sensitivity:I tan sooo quickly. I literally turn another shade within 10 minutes! I hate putting sunscreen on my face, though, it makes everything red :| I use Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer Dry Touch SPF45 by the way.

Other potential side effects:Dry eyes. Joints aren't as stiff today, either. I'm thinking my body doesn't like squats while on Accutane so I'm going to take it easy with those.

Mood:The patch on my cheek is just really bothering me. It's hard to cover up scabs, so I'm hoping they don't take forever to heal. I guess it's better than having tons of other actives, so I'm trying to keep my head up. Still no tears during the course :)

DAY 9

Skin:I think I might be having a bit of a breakout? I don't really know if that's the case, but I have a few actives on my chin. They're very small, but they're still there. I've actually been touching my face a lot there because it's actually smooth lol, so that might be the case. As for the red bump on my cheek, it was actually a cyst. Had 3 heads, wonderful. Never had a cyst on my cheek before, and I've only had one other on my forehead before. Forehead is clear, though, looks really good except for red marks. I've got like 2 real actives and others that are drying up and going away. Skin is getting dry, though, especially around my mouth. And I wake up with VERY chapped lips in the morning, but I'm able to get it under control.

Other potential side effects:Just those dry eyes, joint stiffness is completely gone even after doing more squats and cardio yesterday!

Mood:Wasn't as happy yesterday. It's nice to see my forehead completely clear for the first time in possibly a year? But that cyst is a real downer, and the other breakouts. I can still smile and get through the day without crying over it, though :)

DAY 10

Skin:Hm, so I thought I was having a breakout yesterday and that may have very well been the case. But no new breakouts today, everything from yesterday is SO much smaller too. I could get used to that! I've got about 2-3 real actives, and the rest are all dry scabs which still look elevated and therefore pimple-ish. My skin is really smooth, and the oil does keep dying down everyday. I still wish my skin was more dry, but I'm being patient. Lips are chapped, but I apply chapstick like crazy so it never really feels like it.

Other potential side effects:Dryyy eyessss. I did even more squats and cardio yesterday and joint stiffness still hasn't returned, so that's good I guess.

Mood:Notttt a good day yesterday. I cried after looking in the mirror because I saw my skin breaking out after I had started getting very happy with it. It felt so yucky looking all night, and I finally felt better in the morning. :)

DAY 11

Skin:Let's seeee. No new breakouts today! Everything that was a breakout is now drying up of course, flaky spots. They're pretty annoying, so tempting to pick, but better than the pimple itself. As for the number of actual actives, still 2-3. There's always a spot here or there, but hey I can deal with that, it's so early in my course. My face still gets oily and looks shiny throughout the day, doesn't seem to be any change in that lately. It is pretty dry around my mouth when I wake up and whatnot, but that's it. My lips are still chapping, but not very dry overall.

Sun sensitivity:Well, I didn't put on sunscreen yesterday because it was storming when I woke up. Then it cleared, haha, just my luck. I was in the sun for about an hour and a half from 3 to 4:30 and didn't burn at all.

Other potential side effects:Eyes get watery a lot because they get so dry, so time for eye drops.

Mood:Definitely a better day. I try my hardest to stay optimistic everyday, and so far it's been working. While my skin is clearing, I'm working on getting rid of those red marks. Hate em' :|

Good luck :D . and yep i got redmarks too, there a trip to go away. but hey better redmarks than more acne i think

Thank you for your reply! Always like to see people stop by :)

DAY 12

Skin:Uh ohhh. I think I've had another small breakout. My forehead that was clear just a few days ago now has a big pesky nodule. It's RIGHT where a cyst had finally gone away too and already left a red mark, now that red mark is going to be an even bigger pain to go away. Also on my forehead I have a few clogged pores, no big deal. As for the rest of my face, the left side is totally clear :o Haven't said that in over a year either. My right side just has a nodule on my chin. I actually had another there yesterday that decided to start drying up on it's own without a whitehead coming to the surface like it usually does. As far as skin being dry goes, it's just getting dry around my mouth and nose. It's totally manageable, and a quick dab of Cetaphil fixes it right up! Lips aren't dry, they're just getting more chapped and chapped. And by chapped I mean like, jelly-like and gross feeling.

Other potential side effects:Just dry eyes, have yet to pick up eye drops. Just legs and arms are itchy too, I put lotion on them a lot.

Mood:Well I cried yesterday, but over relationship issues. It always makes me feel more down about myself, though. I always think if I had nice skin that that kinda stuff wouldn't get me so down, but I have a feeling I could be very wrong. We'll see in 5 months though :)

DAY 13

Skin:So my forehead stopped breaking out, but the nodule I had has a whitehead that I'm not going to pick at. Also a clogged pore popped up next to it, really hoping it doesn't become a cyst :| Anyhow, left side of my face is still clear, knock on wood. The right side of my face just has 2 nodules on my chin that keep going down in size everyday! My skin feels so smooth, probably because it's drying out. It just gets flaky around my mouth, but like I said yesterday..I just dab on some Cetaphil and I'm fine. Lips are getting drier and drier when I wake up in the morning. This morning they were bad, but it seems as soon as I lick them I'm fine. Still putting on chapstick lots. OH, also, my skin is purging big time. Not as far as breakouts go, but all the junk on my nose and on my chin below my lip (if you stretch it) is at the surface. I'm just waiting for it to fall off. And a zit that has been under the skin below my nostril finally surfaced! I figure that means Accutane is working :X

Sun sensitivity:Oh boy, couldn't be more happy about this; I was in the sun during peak sun hours for over an hour with SPF4 on and I didn't burn at ALL. Not on my face, not on my shoulders, nowhere. I love being in the sun, so I'm less afraid of it now. I'm still going to be careful, though.

Other potential side effects:Dry eyes. Also in the morning my mouth is so dry. I do sleep on my stomach and end up drooling, so that might be why LOL.

Mood:I guess I feel kind of beautiful today. Red marks are fading with help of the sun, and my skin is not looking too bad as far as actives go. I'm feelin' good :)

DAY 14 - Two week mark, woo!

Skin:No new breakouts on entire face, but old ones are still very much there. I've still got those 2 nodules on my forehead, and the two on my chin. They do seem to get more dry and small everyday though, so I'm hanging in there. My blackheads are becoming so much more noticeable, it's not pretty. But I know this has to happen for them to fall off, so I'm trying not to mind it much. I'm starting to put on more and more Cetaphil lotion each day. I like this, I want the oil to go away. My lips are really starting to bug me though. They're all torn up, and get all jelly-like throughout the day. Then there's the pieces of them that just like "flap around" on my lips, so it's like it feels worse with chapstick on.

Other potential side effects:I had some jaw pain last night, which I know I've seen people say they've gotten on Accutane. It's gone today, though.

Mood:It's real up and downnn. The breakouts I do have are just so ugly, they're all very big and very red. They make the red marks stand out more, I hate it. But I'm not going to let it get me down, I'm finally on something that's going to make it all better.

DAY 15

Skin:No new breakouts again today, knock on wood. The nodules on my chin are now little mountains of dry skin which are pretty annoying, and same goes for the two on my forehead. This usually takes 2-3 days to go away, so I'm fine with that :) Hm I wouldn't really consider it a breakout, but my blackheads are starting to push out and that means I can feel them and then I just end up trying to pick it out. I get a scab when this happens! I gotta stop picking. My skin is starting to get VERY dry. I wake up in the morning and it just looks like crap from the white flakiness everywhere even though I put lotion on the night before. Also, putting makeup on over dry skin isn't very attractive to me, so I've been putting lots and lots more Cetaphil lotion on. I definitely prefer the dry skin over the oily skin, though. My lips are also killing me. They hurt real bad during the day because they're just peeling all over, all the time. I have 3 different types of chapstick that I put on during the day. Also I'd like to note, it's 2 days before my mences and my skin isn't breaking out like crazy like it usually does. This could be the Yaz OR the Accutane, though.

Other potential side effects:Just dry eyes. I need to shut up and get eye drops!

Mood:I'm 2 days away from my mences so this is usually the cranky/crying time. I haven't really had any urges to do any of that though! My skin doesn't look horrible, and things are healing nicely, and I'm really optimistic!

Thank you.

DAY 16

Skin:Things are shit, I'm so annoyed. My entire forehead broke out into these small papules and postules. I'm 1 day away from my mences, so that could be the reason for this. Also, I was sleeping face down into my pillow and I'm pretty sure my cat had been lying there all day. That would explain why the right side of my face is broken out, and nowhere on the left is. I'm going to change my pillow case and sleep with my face up again, oh joy I get to be uncomfortable! Stupid acne. At least the old breakouts I had are drying up I guess, but this is when those look their worst. My face is crap today, I don't even feel like finishing writing this. Yeah my skin is dry, yeah my lips are chaped..there.

Sun sensitivity:I was outside for an hour and a half in the sun with no sunscreen and didn't get burned, cool.

Other potential side effects:Dry freaking eyes.

Mood:Clearly I'm upset. My forehead was clear just a few days ago, and now it's a big bumpy mess again. Not to mention, I swear my old red marks just look worse. I just want to be clear by the end of december, it's all I want. Things aren't looking up for me, and that hurts.

DAY 17

Skin:I look absolutely horrible. My forehead has at least 8-10 actives on it, and they all hurt so bad. There's no doubt in my mind that this is an IB, and I'm very upset. I can't believe I went 17 days letting myself think that I was going to skip having one, but here it is. I don't get why it's all on my forehead either, the rest of my face hasn't broken out in days but old papules are still healing. I really wish I had bangs or something right now, because I'm so embarrassed. I haven't felt this embarrassed about my face in a long time, it's amazing how fast an entire portion of it can be covered in a matter of days. I can't even wear a hat because it just hurts my zits there too much. If this gets worse, I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm extremely terrified of what my face is going to look like tomorrow, probably covered in more zits. Screw it all. My lips are extemely chapped and my face is very dry.

Other potential side effects:Mild depression. I've cried about 3-4 times a day for the past 4 days.

Mood:Very depressed, and very embarrassed. I don't want anyone to see me, and I don't want to see anyone.

Hey there, I've been following your log since you started. I just want to encourage you that this IB will not last forever! From what I've read, it sounds like your derm has you at a high initial does, so maybe he/she was trying to get the worst of it over with all at the beginning so that the rest of your course is spent clearing rather than gearing up slowing and getting an IB at the 6 week mark or after.

Try to hang in there! I believe that you will LOVE your skin by the end of December!!