Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
caltech23

Stinging Nettle in the treatment of Acne

I have been a mild to moderate acne sufferer for years, and have only recently stumbled across a herbal treatment that has yielded fantastic results in reducing/preventing acne.

Stinging Nettle (often referred to as Nettle) is a herbal dirutic, used in the treatment of several kidney and prostate disorders, as well as being anecdotally linked to increasing testosterone levels in men.

I initially began taking copious amounts of nettle for bodybuilding purposes, but was more than pleasently surprised when it cleared my skin completely within a month. As a control, I cycled off of Nettle (replacing it with Tribulus) to see if it would have an adverse effect on my skin, and within a matter of days, I had broken out again.

Since this point, I have religously taken Nettle (3 caps, three times daily), and have remained acne free.

Hopefully others have the same positive experiences with Nettle. It is extremely cheap, and harmless when dosed correctly.

Best Regards

Capsules or tea? I tried capsules. I didn't notice any difference. It's also supposed to help with sinuses, but maybe tea is better for that.

Very nice. Thanks for posting this!

I wonder if others would have an adverse acne reaction to this as it raises testosterone.

Very nice. Thanks for posting this!

I wonder if others would have an adverse acne reaction to this as it raises testosterone.

That was my initial concern, but oddly enough, the reduction in acne was rather immediate.

My free test levels went from 248 to 900 (due to nettle and Nolvadex), yet my acne continued to clear

Well I guess this would work if you are a guy, and an abundance of estrogen is your problem??

Are you male or female,caltech23?

I'm a male (last time I checked anyways :surprised: ). Oddly enough, moderate estrogen levels are integral in avoiding acne in men... something alot of people get confused about.

For example, most steroid users (who take Aromatose Inhibitors and Selective Estrogen Receptor modifiers) will experience an aggravation of acne symptoms because of too low estrogen levels relative to avaialable testosterone. Conversely, men with an abundance of estrogen will experience increased acne (as well as gyno, catabolism etc). I suppose the key is a balance between the two, which Stinging Nettle may possibly contribute to.

Even for woman, I would recommend Stinging Nettle, in that it aids in kidney function.