Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RebeccaDeWinter

Fiber supplement and vitamins, should I take them at different times?

I got some psyllium husks powder to add to my green smoothies to make sure Im getting enough fiber as Im cutting out anything that might spike my blood sugar(like beans, grains, and too much fruit) over the next to weeks. I read somewhere that you should take your fiber supplement at a different time then your vitamins, but isn't there usually fiber in the food you eat anyways? It only has 4.5 grams in each teaspoon, and Ill probably take 3 tsp a day(too much?) Thanks!

I got some psyllium husks powder to add to my green smoothies to make sure Im getting enough fiber as Im cutting out anything that might spike my blood sugar(like beans, grains, and too much fruit) over the next to weeks.

HUH?? I believe most beans are a good source of soluble fiber, so they're good to eat to help PREVENT spikes in blood sugar. I don't think you have to worry about beans CAUSING blood sugar spikes.

I read somewhere that you should take your fiber supplement at a different time then your vitamins, but isn't there usually fiber in the food you eat anyways?

It depends on what type of fiber you're talking about. Soluble fiber (psyllium fiber is soluble) does tend to bind nutrients like vitamins, so I think it's a good idea to separate them, if at all possible. Insoluble fiber (like what you get in wheat bran) doesn't have that problem, or at least not nearly to the same degree.