Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Owlet

How do you know if your acne is hormonal?

Hi Everyone,

My 20 yo daughter has terrible acne all over her face (not just the T) and on her back, chest, and arms. She has had acne since she was 9. I thought she didn't have hormonal acne because she didn't even start her period until her 15th birthday. However, lately I've been rethinking it. Nothing topical helps. The only think that ever cleared her up was Yasmin. She doesn't want to take Yasmin because she gained a few pounds and she's a college distance runner and the weight slowed her down. Right now she is going to start clearogen and she's taking 320 mg of Saw Palmetto. My question to you all is how can you tell if your acne is from hormones or from something else? Should my daughter ask for a referral to an endocrinologist or a dermatologist?

Thanks!

If Yasmin cleared her up, it's probably hormonal. I got acne before my first period as well and have hormonal acne. Perhaps she can try a pill with a lower dose than Yasmin like Loestrin 24. The lower the dose, the less side effects she'll have, including weight gain.

^^I agree. Since the bcp cleared her up before, her acne is probably hormonal. Mine is hormonal too and I take ortho tricyclen lo. It cleared my skin tremendously and I have not gained any weight from it. She could try that and see how she likes it.

Hi Owlet.

From what I've read all acne is caused by some sort of hormonal imbalance in the body. 'Hormonal' acne in women usually means acne caused by excess androgens (male hormones) - if Yasmin (which has an anti-androgen effect) cleared her then this is probably the cause. I think it would be worth getting her levels tested by an endo- mine turned out to be high and now I'm taking Spironolactone+Yasmine. If she didn't like Yasmine she could take spiro by itself - the only reason I'm on both is to regulate my cycle and as birth control.

Wow you guys!

There is so much knowledge on these boards!

She has an appt. with her family dr. tomorrow and she wants to try antibiotics and the saw palmetto for right now. She did the ortho and it made her break out while the Yasmin cleared her so I don't know. I think the Spiro might be a good next step.

Thanks,

Owlet

I think the reason yaz helped and not ortho is because of the synthetic hormone, spiro, in the Yaz pill which blocks androgen receptors (the culprits that cause acne). The antibiotics should help control the acne if she chooses to go that route. It really helps with inflammation.

Yep, Yaz/Yasmin actually contains a small dose of spiro which is why it helps acne in a lot of people.

I had the exact same experience - I was on Ortho for two years and never noticed any difference in my skin. I swopped to Yasmin when it first came out and it had me clear within a few months.