Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello!

I have been using AHA for about... 5 days now, and It's a bit strange.

I use it only at night. I wash my face, and just apply the AHA... But the thing is, it doesn't really all absorb, I try rubbing it in, but it just turns tacky and leaves an aweful film on my face... So, I go to sleep. But then I wake up, and I have a nasty layer of yellowish film that peels off, so I don't think my skin likes AHA, since it doesn't seem to absorb. Is this normal?

Also, it seems to make my face REALLY greasy, the moisturizer moisturizes without making my face shiny and greasy, but AHA doesn't, so that, and the problem with the film it leaves, means I will likely not be able to use it during the day.

Is everything I described above normal?

Also, I don't use that much aha.. a lot less than BP. And, it still always leaves a tacky residue.

You say you aren't using that much AHA. While I'm sure that's true relative to the BP, it sounds to me like you are using too much. Try applying an even smaller amount than you already are, and try applying it very quickly. I haven't tried the just released AHA yet, but I did have some of the same clumping and filminess that you described when I tested a prior sample at the beginning of this year. The way I made that better was to spend very little time applying the AHA--you want to stop touching it before it starts, um, "rebelling" and getting clumpy and refusing to absorb. Just let it sit on your face. If you do this a while before you go to bed, you won't have as much yellow residue peeling off overnight, though probably still some.

I would not use the AHA during the day unless you are going to go BP-free in the morning because of this tendency to clump up a bit if you aren't really careful. I haven't tried using the AHA without BP underneath it, but I think it would probably absorb much better without the BP in the way. You'll have to experiment, though.

Thank you! I will try your suggestions.

My skin doesn't usually absorb things well (Most regular lotions like lubriderm, for instance) wont absorb into my skin... so we'll see :)

Its just a bit confusing, because dan says to rub it until its all absorbs, except it never absorbed.

Ill let ya know how it goes.

The AHA always leaves a film on my face too. It definitely doesn't absorb as well as the moisturizer or BP.

BUT as I only use it at night I don't worry. My skins glowing by the AM. :D

I have the same problem. Regardless of whether I'm using it by itself or with the BP. It always "balls up." I don't know if this is normal, in the FAQs it says an AHA shouldn't do that. After I rub off all the remnants of AHA I do like how my skin feels.

I use a very small dab for the whole face and it absorbs rapidly; I've also been using AHA for a long time now. Use just a pea sized amount for your whole face and see if that improves the filmy feeling. I did not experience a film. I don't use BP so that may be the difference.

Hello!

Well, this morning I did as suggested.

used about a pea and a half for my whole face. and rubbed it VERY quickly as soon as it hit my face. No film :)

But does such a small amount actually do anything??

Hey, I just started using the AHA and I have a terrible time applying it. Dan says that he uses it in the morning but I try that and it all balls up and falls off. I havent tried using a tiny amount yet but I am skeptical as I have a hard enough time making the amount I use now cover my entire face and it really isnt that much. And I dont even have a chance of getting it to fully absorb with a layer of BP on. Hopefully this was 15 bucks down the drain.

I just got my AHA, and am also trying to figure out the best uses for it. I tried it at night after my BP dried, and it peeled up with the BP too. I made sure it was fully dry before applying it to make sure this did not happen, but it did anyway. I also had promlems with a yellow film/peeling on my neck. Next I tried using it in the AM after cleansing. I waited till my face was fully dry, and put the AHA on with no BP, just a clean dry face. That worked well. No pilling. It just felt like a moisturizer. I don't use BP during the day only at night, so I may use the AHA during the day, then put sunscreen on top? I'm interested in how other people are using their AHA!

Yes, Dan's. I like it though. I am in the begining stages of using it. It is GREAT for controling the flakes on my face/jawline. I think maybe the film was from too much product. It feels good going on. :dance:

I contacted Dan about this issue and he said that we're probably just using too much. I guess this stuff is pretty potent and you really don't need as much as you think you do. Here is where he describes how much to use.

also ive found dont rub it in, just smooth it over your skin. if you rub it, it will ball up and come off your skin but if you just smooth a little over very quickly and leave it alone i find it doesnt ball up at all.

Hello again,

Ok, I've been trying now for a while, and yes. You don't need as much as you think.. just a pea size, and as soon as it hits your face rub it like CRAZY all over... and you shouldn't have any film. Ive been doing this for a while, and no issues. Just do half a face at a time, so half a pea on the right, half on the left. I even use it in the day now, I just first use aha, then BP then moisturizer because the AHA doesn't get rid of all my flakes.

Works well. My skin looks much more alive, and no more patchy spots on my skin.

Ill try :)

Keep note though... I have very limited problems (As you can see from my new avatar) So.. I may not be the best judge. I dont have very sensitive skin or anything. But, seems to be working well so far. I wouldn't put it on if you get film buildup though. just make sure you use a small amount of AHA.. then wait maybe 10 minutes or so.. then do the BP. That's what I do.

I'll keep ya updated though.