Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lil one

1 week into accutane..;

Hi guys

just a brief background...iv had mild to moderate acne for the past 3 years and have been on topical treatments, anti biotics and the pill. The pill (Dianne-35) did wonders however i suddenly started getting breakouts so i was changed to yasmine and put on low dosage accutane (20mg) a day..i weigh 50 kgs so thats less than .5mg per 1 kg of weight. Anyway decided i would make a blog to help future people deciding whether to go on accutane

So its now day 9. After 1 day (yes only 1 day) of taking my first pill i got about 5 cyst like pimples-im hoping these are my IBS. days 6 i got another 2. The first 5 days i just noticed really dry lips and sore eyes. Iv always had extremely oily skin and only now and im starting to see it dry out a bit. I havent had anymore breakouts the last 2 days so fingers crossed no more breakouts (touch wood)...anyway if any one has any adivce or anything please feel free...ill try keep updating this every day or 2:)

Hi guys

just a brief background...iv had mild to moderate acne for the past 3 years and have been on topical treatments, anti biotics and the pill. The pill (Dianne-35) did wonders however i suddenly started getting breakouts so i was changed to yasmine and put on low dosage accutane (20mg) a day..i weigh 50 kgs so thats less than .5mg per 1 kg of weight. Anyway decided i would make a blog to help future people deciding whether to go on accutane

So its now day 9. After 1 day (yes only 1 day) of taking my first pill i got about 5 cyst like pimples-im hoping these are my IBS. days 6 i got another 2. The first 5 days i just noticed really dry lips and sore eyes. Iv always had extremely oily skin and only now and im starting to see it dry out a bit. I havent had anymore breakouts the last 2 days so fingers crossed no more breakouts (touch wood)...anyway if any one has any adivce or anything please feel free...ill try keep updating this every day or 2:)

I used Cetaphil to moisturize when I was on accutane. If you get a dry nose you should try Rhinaris, it's a light moisturizing gel that will prevent you from getting nosebleeds. For my lips I used Zim's Crack Creme lip forumula, it tastes like bubblegum and works really well. I've heard people talk about Aquaphor so you might want to try that too. Use Visine if your eyes get really dry. Try not to preoccupy yourself with the condition of your skin if it starts to get worse, don't look in the mirror too much. I know it's hard but just know that it's going to get better! :D

Thanks everyone for your advice..i really appreciate it!

day 10-well unfortunately i got a tad sunburnt today and feeling a little sore and warm around my face but never mind. Only one more pimple has come up and i put hot water and lemon on it followed by differin gel and its nearly gone down:) p.s has anyone every tried differin gel? also...from those 3 cysts i got on my cheaks in the first days of isotane i still have the marks and when im cold they turn purple?is this normal? anyway back to side effects...only a few dry patches on my face but nothing cetaphil cant fix. face has been quite pink but i have naturally flushed face so nothing really abnormal. lips and eyes are really sore but nothing i cant handle...anyway feel free to leave comments or ask questions:)but i think so far so good

take care everyone

xoxo

hey another question...does anyone know if i can use that asprin mask while on isotane?like i wouldnt put it all over my face just of the red marks left behind? or does anyone know of anything else i can put on these red marks while on isotane?

sorry i havnt updated for a few days

so just gone over the two week mark and so far so good...had a couple more breakouts on my foreheard but nothing major:)side effects are pretty minimal ay, probably coz im on a lose dose so maybe next time i visit my dermotologist he might bump me up...my face is pretty much clear but still got quite a few red marks left behind which suck but hopefully they should be gone soon:)

well day 15 and feeling pretty stink:(getting major breakouts again...when will it end!!its funny how the dermotologists dont tell u about the whole getting worse before better...u expect to see ur skin getting better not worse...honestly im just about over this stuff...ringing the dermo tomorrow to get advice...il let u know how it goes

I think you can probably do spot treatment but just be cautious to not over-dry your skin. See what your derm says. I hope your breakout passes quickly. ;)

thanks for that bit of encouragment:) i really needed it that day!

Wow day 18!!nearly 3 weeks...crazy! well not alot more to write...lips are still pretty sore and chapped but as long as you keep them well smothered in lip balm (blistex) you will be ok:) no more breakouts so thats good:)i really hope this IB is over! (touch wood). Um my dermotologist was away this week so i guess il jsut wait until my next appointment which is in 2 weeks...just started using vitamin e topically on my scars which i think is helping. I break open a gel capsule and rub it into the scars-keep you posted on how that goes. Still using differin on the breakouts which seems to help the pimples past quickly.

Pors-less oily skin and hair (yess!!), no more breakouts, scars healing

Cons-sore lips,sunburnt easy

wow its been an interesting day...accidently got hot oil on my face and its blistered peeled and pretty bad...went to accident and emergency and got some cream and now im fearing i might have to go off isotane in order for these burns to heal better...man one thing after another:(

Sorry i havent written 4 a while..been so busy trying to get this burn sored...so it looks like i will be able to stay on accutane because while on accutane your skin renews itself alot faster so its actually a semi good thing being on accutane, on the bad sidebecause your skin is thinner it makes the mark look worse...hmmmm :( anyway had another two biggish pimples about 3 days ago and havent had anymore since so fingers crossed no more.havent been able to cleanse and moisturise so skins not looking so great but i can now cleanse the non burn area so yah. Lips havent been too bad. Really no side effects to report back on...slow and steady.

Day 25

Wow getting closer and closer to the one month mark...its actually gone relatively fast!all of those cyst like pimples i got in the first couple of days are healing well...which i think it greatly due to vitamin e oil and aloe vera. They are now only the size of a pin prick and fading which is awesome. I forgot to mention that i started yasmin about 3 weeks before accutane so it could be very likeloy that the initial breakout was from yasmin??still getting one or two manageable pimples a week-nothing like the first week thats for sure!

I find if i dont over moisturise my lips they stay relatively moisturised-i think your lips getting used to all of the moisture and you get to a point where it requires it all the time so try see how long you can go with the lip treatment and you might be surprised! Face is alot less oilier and doesnt get dry so its pretty much perfect in that sense. Only 3 actives and a dozen red marks. Slowly but surely i think we might be over that initial wall and now heading towards nicer skin!! if anyway has had a cooking oil burn and knows of good remedies please let me know:)

Day 27

Unfortunately still going through this IB...had another 5 cyst like pimples pop up in the last few days,so incredibly annoying. Just been using aloe vera which seems to calm them down a bit. Actually went to the doc today and got prescribed erythromycin as they think the reason i keep getting cysts in the same place is because i have an infection-lets hope thats all it is!

As with side effects none:) lips can get dry sometimes but as long as i keep the blistex on they are fine. I still try stay well away from the sun (lucky its winter) because even with sunblock on i can feel the burning sensation within minutes. Ill keep you posted with the initial Breakouts (gosh im soooooo over them) and the red scars left behind!

4 Weeks!!

Wow 4 weeks have gone quite fast.IB still going (had another two sprout up overnight) but im hoping the antibiotics start kicking in soon. Now i look back, i have been really tired since i started isotane which is kinda a good thing coz i was having trouble sleeping before i started isotane and now i dont:) Im thinking my dose might be upped next dermo appointment (31st july) because side effects are very minimal...because i started off with EXTREMELY oily skin now its just normal (which is lovely) and the lips arent getting as chapped anymore and eyes are not as sore. Other than these horible IB everything seems so be very smooth. oh yeah i find aloe vera gel helps sooth those really inflamed pimples and takes the red away so hope that helps someone.

Day 29

Not much changes in terms of side effects but im just keeping people up dated with this IB. Iv been on the antibiotics for 3 days now and i dont know if its too early to see improvement but i feel as though my breakouts definitely arent as big as they were so its possible there was an infection. I had another one form this morning but is drying up so should be gone in a couple of days. I have 10 actives (5 of which are drying up and on their way out) and a dozen red marks. I definitely would recommend the aloe vera gel for red marks because i am seeing an improvement. Iv got my fingers crossed that this IB is dying don now. Any comments or feedback would be greatly appreciated:):)

xx

Day 33

Well good news...the antibiotics seems to have kicked in and have only had one pimple in the last 6 days which is a miracle considering my intense IB. I see my dermo today and hoping he will extend my antibiotic script (they only made it a week long) as i think its really working. Red marks seem very slow to fade 9the older ones) but my newer ones (4 weeks ago) which were cysts, have nearly gone. I get a few dry partches round my mouth but i use the cetaaphil cream on that and it seems to work. My burn ahs healed really nicely and now theres only a tiny pink mark which will continue to fade as well. I only have to wash my hair every 4 days which is soo soo awesome! My face is way less oily and shiny. Other than the IB i love accutane. Anyway better go to work and ill report back wat dermo says today

Day 34

So went to dermotologist today and onto 30mg now...well to begin with he said just alternate days but its only an extra 10mg so i might just do 30 mg everyday. Hes given me another 2 weeks dose of antibiotics just to help with the IB's but he reckons it should settle down soon:) Had another pimple pop up but just small. Im using differin gel at night and hydroquartizone cream in the morning while will help speed up the rate of fading. He thinks aloe vera and vit e is useless but to be honest i feel a difference after using these two products so i dont know.

Day 35

Got the days mixed up but definitely day 35 today. Well iv been taking 30 mg the last 3 days and the only difference so far iv noticed is dryer hands (they peel in places) and i am getting 'hot flushes'. I have a tendency to get social flushing so the dermotologist was wondering how long it would be until that would start...it has now!not too bad but for no reason i will feel my face getting warmer and itl be red for a lil bit-small price to pay for nice skin. Everyone says this but accutane is such a roller coaster ride! Somedays you feel ok other days you feel good and other days you feel sad. Todays one of those sad days. My skins not worse or anything but when your self conscious about your skin you dont want to go out with friends and its a saturday night and i feel like im missing out...i just feel uncomfortable hanging out with people with PERFECT skin and theres me in the corner just thinking about how bad my skin looks. Ahhh i cant wait till its over!only another 5 months. As far as my IB's go i think the antibiotics have settled it down alot...im still getting anew pimple every 2 days (which is worse than when i originally started) but they are not where near as big or painful as the ones i was getting a few weeks ago. Long ramble...sorry!

bit of encouragement or comments would be nice...i just spent my saturday crying and was feeling quite close to stopping this crap...

Hi lilone,

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm only day four of my accutane treatment so reading about how the first month went for you was very helpful!

From what I've heard the first month or two are the worst - when you have to deal with the IB and get adjusted the different side effects. Stick to it and see how it turns out.Though, if you're really sad I'd suggest talking to your derm, as depression is one of the more serious side effects of taking accutane.

Day 42

Decided I would only update every week, unless some major changes happen. Havent had any more pimples this week!!yipee! I think the antibiotics have kicked in now so thats good. The red marks are SLOWLY but surely fading...my left cheek is pretty much clear-two or 3 really tiny marks. My right cheek (the worst one) has about 4 marks (1 active) that remained dormant up until the last couple of days. Since increasing my dose my lips have become a bit dryer but my hairs been oilier?? Anyway feeling alot better about my skin. My forehead has about 4 red marks which are fading and my chin is pretty much completely clearer. So really only have one pimple at the moment which is healing well. Oh yeah last night I got a rash/sunburn from my hands up until my elbow. It wasnt isnt like a rash. Red patches and really warm. It went within 30mins with some aloe vera gel. Could of been sunburn or just the way my skin reacted to the sun.

So far this is my routine

Morning-Evening primrose oil

2x erythromycin (oral antibiotic)

Zinc

Vitamin E

Vitamin C

Yasmin (BCP)

Cleanse with Cetaphil

1% Hydrocortizone cream

SPF 15 Moisturiser (Neutrogena)

Night- Evening primrose oil

30mg Isotane

2x Erythromycin

Cleanse with cetaphil

Cetaphil moisturiser

Differin spot treatment on red marks

Day 45

I am so fricken tired! But i know thats all part of it unfortunately. Well the red marks as really getting on my nerves at the mo-especially when im cold as they are purple-red is so much easily able to be blended into skin as opposed to deep purple colour! I was naughty and used an exfoliator tonight with AHA and gycolic acid just to get rid of some of the dead skin...it didnt hurt at all and the redness was there for about 10mins so maybe its ok to do it now and again. It actually made a difference to my overall skin tone so well worth it. Might do it every 3 weeks or so depending on how sensitive my skin gets. Differin is meant to help with scars but unfortunately makes your skin more red so it seems to make them look worse:S Lips still dry, hair and forhead gone oily for some reason. No new pimples for the last week and a half:D althogh i stop erythromicin this friday so fingers crossed the isotane takes charge! Does anyone else find there red marks look purple when they are cold?weired!

I am with you about the tired part. I no longer find that my marks become darker with cold or exposure to sun, although they used to do that.

Thanks destinyrose for that info. Fingers crossed my marks will start to lighten now. So i just had a painful pimple surface...i think it was starting to come up and then when I exfoliated it just surfaced so i dunno whether it was beause of the exfoliator. Has anyone used an exfoliator while on accutane? Surely every few weeks wouldnt harm, especially being on lose dose? No rashs on hands anymore so i think its definitely a reaction to the sun coz its been raining ALL week! Red marks are so much more prominent and foundation doesnt cover them much so thats annoying but hey its way better than dealing with those painful cysts! Lips are soo soo much chapped ever since I increased my dose however my forhead and hair is still nearly as oily as it was before I started isotane...weird! Tomorrows my last day of antibiotics so im freaking out that the antibiotics have been the only thing controlling these pimples soo fingers crossed! Still using differin on the spots and red marks which the dermo said helps but im not so sure ay! So it looks like il be on isotane until the end of december which kinda sucks but not because of the side effects coz i hardly notice them but I heard that the red marks will continue to look quite red for the remainder of my course so the sooner i finish the sooner they go. So far I only have one active (the one that just popped up) and maybe 12 red marks..some of them have actually faded quite considerably but its the ones that had really deep pimples (cysts) which are still VERY visible.

Hey guys

Im either going to stop isotane or go on very low dose. My red marks are making me sooo depressed and I cant take it anymore. My dermos away till next week but im only gonna take 20mg until he contacts me. It sucks but Im exhausted, im in my 3rd year doing a degree and i cant stay awake past 8pm to do assignments.