Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thehealthydude

Fruit and Vegetable Acne Regimen

Hello,

I made a post awhile ago about how carbohydrates might be the cause of acne outbreaks. Awhile ago I was eating mostly a paleothic type diet supplemented with cod liver oil and coconut oil. Unfortunately I started having diarrhea. Since then I have cut out the animal products and am slightly getting better. My mild acne was not getting better eating this way. However I have been eating alot more fruit and vegetables and I seem to be feeling much better!

I was interested in how much nutrients we actually get compared to animal based products and it is pretty amazing actually! Meat has a very poor omega 3 to omega 6 ratio as I found out on nutritiondata.com

Also comparing meat with fruit and vegetables in regards to the nutrient density and protein quality there is a big difference!

Most people eat salmon right? Well lets look at the nutrient density and protein quality of it. A ounce of canned sockeye salmon has about a 47 completeness nutrient density factor with a 141 amino acid profile.

Now lets look at the nutrient density and protein quality of kale! Kale has a 85 completeness factor and a 92 amino acid profile. That is a big difference! Also the kale contains fiber so that it pushes through our long digestive tract. Animal products have no fiber. Perhaps that is why God told us that the green plants were our food in the very beginning. That is how we were orginally designed to eat.

Spinach is even more impressive in that it has a 91 completeness factor with a 119 amino acid profile!

It seems that eating just fruit and vegetables with perhaps an ounce of nuts and seeds a day is the way to eat naturally. I think alot of people that start out eating fruit and vegetables have a change in there skin because they are flooding there body with all this nutritional goodness! As time goes on the body starts to purge its old slime and people can experience an acne outbreak. This discourages people and they think the way they are eating is not working and so start eating differently and then it causes a major shift in what there body is used too!

I think alot of people are not drinking enough water either and that is causing alot of skin problems even though they are eating only fruit and vegetables. Water is the best thing for your body!

I think alot of people fail to thrive on a raw vegan diet for some of these reasons. These are just my opinions though. I think eating a vegan diet whether raw or cooked though is our original diet set by God(Gen.1:29). I know we are allowed to eat meat, but our original diet came first! If we lived back then and animals were wild and free then perhaps they would be more nutritious. The ways people feed the animals though today is not good at all. Anyways the following is my opinion on clearing the skin and why people run into problems with a raw/cooked vegan diet.

1.People just don't drink enough water! Drink at least half your body weight per day or more!

2.People just are not eating enough fruit and vegetables to maintain there weight or build muscle. Use the calculator at muscletech.com

3.Once you have figured out how many calories you need to eat to maintain your weight and have energy you need to get a electronic food scale

4.Once you have a electronic food scale you should use calorieking.com to figure out how much calories your eating in your fruit and vegetables!

5.People just aren't doing enough excercise either!

6.People just aren't sticking with one thing long enough!

7.It is true that some nutrients you can not get from fruit and vegetables so you need to be wise and get a good supplement. Sure we shouldn't have to take supplements for our nutrient needs, but it is wise to do so because if you eat meat for b12 you also get the bad stuff in meat too. With a supplement you do not have to get bad stuff with it!

8.Eat a variety of food! David Wolfe just talked about what his diet consists of.. Fruit, Vegetables, Nuts, Seeds, Sprouts, Seaweed, Herbs, Superfoods, and Fermented foods like saurekraut..

An example of eating a bit over 1,000 calories in fruits would consist of this:

apple, 1 medium: 81 calories, .5 grams fat

banana, 1 medium: 109 calories, .6 grams fat

blueberries, 1 cup, raw: 81 calories, .6 grams fat

cantaloupe, 1 cup pieces: 62 calories, .5 grams fat

cherries, 1/2 cup: 42 calories, .7 grams fat

grapefruit, half: 39 calories, .1 grams fat

grapes, 1 cup: 62 calories, .3 grams fat

honeydew melon: 1 cup, 62 calories, .2 grams fat

kiwifruit, 1 medium: 46 calories, .3 grams fat

mango, 1 medium: 135 calories, .6 grams fat

orange, 1 medium: 62 calories, .2 grams fat

papaya, 1 medium: 119 calories, .4 grams fat

peach, 1 medium: 42 calories, .1 grams fat

pear, 1 medium: 98 calories, .7 grams fat

pineapple, fresh, 1 cup: 76 calories, .7 grams fat

strawberries, 1 cup: 4 calories, .5 grams fat

watermelon, 1 cup: 49 calories, .7 grams fat

You can buy mostly all of this stuff at a big grocery store and look at all the natural fat you get not to mention all the vitamins and minerals your taking in on a regular basis too! This isnt even figuring in the vegetables either!

So with a little game plan you can eat a variety of food each day and get enough calories and nutrition! There is a big difference in eating a cup of spinach vs a cup of milk or an 8 oz piece of meat vs an 8 oz of blueberries! BIG DIFFERENCE!!

*Fiber is in fruit and vegetables so don't worry about the high glycemic index. If you are eating a variety of food and not the same kind in a huge amount you don't have to worry. Also you can save alot of money eating this way too!

Hope this has been help and I am embarking on this journey myself actually too so ill update everyone along the way and if anyone else wants to try this let me know how your doing so I can keep updated with any success stories! I think animals have short instentines too so the animal flesh moves out of them quickly.

Thanks for this post. I have been reading a lot about different diets lately (even though I am a vegan and don't plan to change that). I used to eat dairy, but quit about 6 months ago, and I actually saw no improvement in my skin. I also cut out sugars and mostly all starches/carbohydrates. I drink water and decaf green tea religiously, exercise, and overall would say that my diet is very healthy.

I have to say though, my skin is still the same. It's no worse, but it's no better either. My acne isn't very severe but it's very persistent. It could be hormonal, as I am a 23 year old female, but I can only assume that personally, diet is not the cause of my acne(though I wouldn't discount it as a factor for some people.) I will admit one thing though--I DON'T EAT FRUIT. For one, I'm allergic to some, but the rest I just don't like it and I never have. I take supplements, but I know nothing beats the fiber and nutrition in a lot of fruits. I eat tons of vegetables, but I wonder if there is a correlation between the not eating fruit and breaking out. I've heard things like trying to cut out wheat and such--I've never tried this, but I don't have any negative reactions to wheat (and I'm not sure that acne alone would be the only sign of a wheat allergy). One more thing--I just recently started taking some plant derived Omega's. I haven't up until now which could be a culprit as well. I'm going to see how it goes for the next few months. I also might add some vitex agnus-castus (chasteberry) which is a plant that supposedly helps with hormones (though I haven't done enough research to know if it's good for both men and women).

I'm all about natural, earthly, unprocessed diets, so again I appreciate your post. Just thought I'd share my experiences with a meat and dairy free diet in hopes that maybe it could help and show some of my inconsistencies so people can evaluate their own systems.

While your correct that our bodies need plenty of water, we should be getting that water from fruits and vegetables, the way nature intended it - not from other water sources.

While your correct that our bodies need plenty of water, we should be getting that water from fruits and vegetables, the way nature intended it - not from other water sources.

Yes, I agree that eating fruits and vegetables is a good way to get water... aren't "water sources" part of nature? I mean the fruit and vegetables get water from somewhere, whats wrong with cutting straight to the source?

My mild acne was not getting better eating this way. However I have been eating alot more fruit and vegetables and I seem to be feeling much better!

Yes a poor diet is a poor diet regardless of what fod spectrum you have.

A poor omnivorous diet is a poor omnivorous diet and a poor vegetarian diet is a poor vegetarian diet.

Most on nutrition tend to be extremist and they get far worse results than those a bit more balanced.

For example I know a person who got fanatic about the GI and started removing whatever food with an high or moderate GI. He spend the whole day calculating and obsessing about food but doesn't seem like he is any better than most eating sweet and french fries. On the other hand I know a person who applied in my opinion the GI in the correct way in order to improve his sugar metabolism.

He stopped immediately eating sodas, sugared coffee or tea and bread. He increased veggies

(a serving at every meal) and watery fruits consumption and focused more on potatoes, beans and barley. With minimal changes and no obsessiveness he got fat better results than the other one which is still as sick as it gets.

Yes, I agree that eating fruits and vegetables is a good way to get water... aren't "water sources" part of nature? I mean the fruit and vegetables get water from somewhere, whats wrong with cutting straight to the source?

Nothing we all need to get water also from outside of fruits and vegetables. I don't think they provide enough water for us.

Nothing we all need to get water also from outside of fruits and vegetables. I don't think they provide enough water for us.

I agree. Even wildlife animals look for lakes or rivers to drink.

Most animals drink water. Only a few, like some desert animals, depend on food for water.

I was interested in how much nutrients we actually get compared to animal based products and it is pretty amazing actually! Meat has a very poor omega 3 to omega 6 ratio as I found out on nutritiondata.com

Actually, it's ratio is pretty good--usually it's within 6 to 1, at least with all the meats that I have looked up on nutritiondata.com.

Do you know which foods have bad ratios? Foods like almonds, peanuts, vegetable oils, avocados--those are the foods that cause poor omega-3:omega-6 ratios. Not meat, and especially not high-quality meat. Nutritiondata.com probably tested a typical sample of meat from a store, not a pastured meat.

Also comparing meat with fruit and vegetables in regards to the nutrient density and protein quality there is a big difference!

Yes, there is a big difference--meat tends to be more nutrient dense than fruits and vegetables.

Don't get me wrong; there are a few super vegetables like kale and spinach that have excellent nutrient density. However, a piece of chicken is much more nutrient dense than an apple or a serving of blueberries. And a piece of red meat or salmon is just as nutrient dense as a typical serving of vegetables. And the most nutrient-dense food in the world is an animal product--liver.

By the way, your diahhreaa was likely caused by the coconut oil, not the meat.

No offense, but I think you've jumped to some incorrect conclusions.

Foods like almonds, peanuts, vegetable oils, avocados--those are the foods that cause poor omega-3:omega-6 ratios.

No they don't, I'm sorry. The consumption of nuts and avocados has been shown to have nothing but positive effects on the lipid profiles. Many here are still stuck in the fairy tales that we need a ratio of 1:1 while we don't and certainly we would never get such ratio from eating meat and no fish. Also I don't remember nutritiondata testing pastured meat and studied found very little differences with more commercial types of meat. We can't just say "maybe nutritiondata tested a wrong meat I'm sure the better one has better profiles".

However, a piece of chicken is much more nutrient dense than an apple or a serving of blueberries. And a piece of red meat or salmon is just as nutrient dense as a typical serving of vegetables.

Remember that nutrient density is not nutrients per pounds which would be absurd given the difference in water content of various food either plant or animals, but nutrients per calorie.

Maybe his conclusion are a bit incorrect, exaggerated and on the fanatical side but I don't think the best way to deal with them is to propose opposed a bit incorrect, exaggerated and on the fanatical side theories.

As someone said: "usually the backlash against anything is a backlash against 'excessive amounts of it'"

No they don't, I'm sorry. The consumption of nuts and avocados has been shown to have nothing but positive effects on the lipid profiles. Many here are still stuck in the fairy tales that we need a ratio of 1:1 while we don't and certainly we would never get such ratio from eating meat and no fish.

First of all--I consider fish to be meat, and so yes, I definitely think you can achieve a 1:1 ratio with just meat, as long as you consider fish to be meat.

Second of all, I never advocated a 1:1 ratio. All I said was that it's vegetable oils and high-fat plant foods that have poor omega ratios. I'm not saying that such foods are bad for you, only that their omega ratios are much worse than meat's.

That much is fact. Your omega ratio would be a lot better if you ate only meat, rather than only almonds or avocados. As such, I don't recommend either practices.

Also I don't remember nutritiondata testing pastured meat and studied found very little differences with more commercial types of meat. We can't just say "maybe nutritiondata tested a wrong meat I'm sure the better one has better profiles".

Even the "wrong" meat has better nutritional profiles than the fruits that I mentioned.

Remember that nutrient density is not nutrients per pounds which would be absurd given the difference in water content of various food either plant or animals, but nutrients per calorie.

My point still stands clear: which of these foods have more nutrients per calorie? Salmon, or apples? Beef, or blueberries? Liver, or broccoli?

Maybe his conclusion are a bit incorrect, exaggerated and on the fanatical side but I don't think the best way to deal with them is to propose opposed a bit incorrect, exaggerated and on the fanatical side theories.

I haven't proposed any fanatical theories. I've just pointed out flaws in the OP's thinking.

Even the "wrong" meat has better nutritional profiles than the fruits that I mentioned.

My point still stands clear: which of these foods have more nutrients per calorie? Salmon, or apples? Beef, or blueberries? Liver, or broccoli?

This doesn't make much sense.

It's like saying "what country has bigger cities? United Kingdom with London and Birmingham or United States with Helena and Bismarck?" In other words you can't compare the best representative of one groups with the less better representative of another group.

Also check yourself whether salmon wins against broccoli or blueberries wins against beef.

haven't proposed any fanatical theories. I've just pointed out flaws in the OP's thinking.

You started to sound like someone from weston price foundation ...