Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

so i use the traditional razer shaver and it makes me break out after i shave. i was wondering if electric shavers would be less irritating on the skin. like the ones that u dont need shaving cream and stuff.

Guest kiwikali

well i obviously don't shave my face, but i do shave my legs (duh) and i've used an electric thing before. it's a lot less irritating and doesn't give you those annoying red bumps. but i don't know, the face is probably different!

I have an electric shaver but I always ALWAYS use the "trimmmer" thing. Never do I use the actual razor and shave down to bare skin. I'd rather die than do that. Of course I always have a little stubble, but it hides the acne a little and my skin is never irritated from shaving

I use disposable razors as I don't break out from them anymore, but I used to. Plus I don't feel like electric razors (or at least the one's I've used) give a close enough shave.

Use a Gillette.

i do use a gillette the m3power (it vibrates ahahahha doesnt really do anything) but that gives me like shaving bumps and cuts. if you do use an electric shaver could u recommend me a brand or a type i should get? i know nothing about electric shavers

My former father-in-law swore that using cold water was the answer. Idk...

Really? I tried that once and all it does is hurt and irritate more because your pores are closed compared to using warm water.

I don't like electric shavers because it's not close enough. Electric shavers are good if you have acne but if you have no active acne razors are the best.

For electric shavers, the best is gonna be Braun.

it's true that razors can give the closest shave, but if you have acne, a close shave is a low priority. a close shave can cause ingrown hairs, and those lead to the worst cysts.

for me, shaving is all about keeping my face clean and avoiding a nasty beard that will make it difficult to apply my topical medication. having a tiny bit of stubble is ideal, because it means the hairs are free of the skin and won't get caught under the surface and cause a cyst.

i've tried a lot of shaving techniques over the years, and the one i started a few months ago is the best for preventing breakouts. i went to target, got one of those norelco electric shavers for $35, the kind with the mesh screen, and started using it every other day. it has not caused a problem, and it is close enough of a shave for me.

i use it like this:

-when my face is clean and dry, and the stubble is stiff, i shave very slowly against the grain, trying to cover the face as gently as possible, in as few passes as possible.

-shaving against the grain is the only way to shave with one of these trimmers, since the hair has to stick itself into the mesh screen. if you shave slowly, you won't get any ingrown hairs from doing this.

-don't mash it down. the reason this is such a gentle razor is that you have this smooth mesh screen separating your skin from the blade, so touch it to your face just enough that the hair sticks into the screen.

-if your stubble has gotten too long, you can pop out the side trimmer and gently trim it down so that it's short enough to go into the screen.

-when you're done, you can pop off the screen and rinse this shaver out under water, which is pretty sweet. it also comes with a brush. it's a good idea to get all the dust out that builds up during the shave and gently wipe the mesh screen under water so that the surface that touches your skin is clean.

-against the shaver's instruction manual, i don't put the screen back on. i leave it off so that all the components can dry. otherwise, water and dust stay under the screen and allow bacteria to grow, which would defeat the purpose of using this shaver while treating acne.

that's it!

for comparison, i used to have one of those electric razors with the three circles on top. those are very irritating, since you have to keep rubbing it against your skin to get those little blades to cover your whole face.

then i tried a mach 3 razor, but you just can't avoid the irritation that comes from scraping a metal blade across your skin. i tried the fancy shaving techniques, but it was still irritating, and it still made me break out on my neck every week. also, it's expensive to keep changing the cartridges.

using this cheap norelco shaver has been great, and come to think of it, i kind of want to go shave right now... it's actually pleasant to shave with this thing because it's so gentle on the skin.

i've tried a lot of shaving techniques over the years, and the one i started a few months ago is the best for preventing breakouts. i went to target, got one of those norelco electric shavers for $35, the kind with the mesh screen, and started using it every other day. it has not caused a problem, and it is close enough of a shave for me.

Could you provide a link to the specific one? Thanks man.

I think the most important thing concerning shaving is proper moisturizing. This works for me great and I too use a vibrating Gillette. If you have to.....

1. jump out of the shower naked (halfway through) :dance:

2. throw some lotion and shaving cream on

3. Shave (go with the grain)

4. Rinse with cold water and get back in the tub.

*You might freeze to death doing this but you'll get use to it soldier