Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ichybon

Beginner Question

Hi everyone, I just got my starter kit today & had some beginner questions to ask, I appoligize if this information was listed elsewhere, I just want some clarification.

I read that you should start off using very little BP "half a pump" once a day for people with sensitive skin. I had used a cream product that had 10% BP in it, and it did make my skin dry in the areas that I applied it. So, should I use the BP in the morning or at night to start off with "dryness at night > in the day at work" I read that I should moisturize twice a day, would I use the cleanser twice a day as well? I read that the cleanser prepares the skin for the BP, but if I am only using the BP once a day.... you get the idea. Or would it be alright to use the cleanser as a face wasing agent for the morning & night if I wasn't going to apply BP after.

Thank you for your time.

Hi everyone, I just got my starter kit today & had some beginner questions to ask, I appoligize if this information was listed elsewhere, I just want some clarification.

I read that you should start off using very little BP "half a pump" once a day for people with sensitive skin. I had used a cream product that had 10% BP in it, and it did make my skin dry in the areas that I applied it. So, should I use the BP in the morning or at night to start off with "dryness at night > in the day at work"

How long ago were you using the 10% BP product? I was on Proactiv for about 5 weeks up until I started DKR and transitioned in at one pump twice a day with DKR.

I read that I should moisturize twice a day, would I use the cleanser twice a day as well? I read that the cleanser prepares the skin for the BP, but if I am only using the BP once a day.... you get the idea. Or would it be alright to use the cleanser as a face wasing agent for the morning & night if I wasn't going to apply BP after.

Hmmm. . . I do the whole regimen twice a day. Wash, dry, wait, apply two pumps of BP for about 5 minutes, wait, and finally apply one pump of moisturizer. Have you watched the videos that Dan has made about applying the products to your face? They are very helpful. I think you should probably do the entire process twice a day using maybe only one pump of BP for about a week or so and then ramp up to two pumps. (I'm basing this off the assumption that you were using the 10% BP up until very recently.)

I do it twice a day as well. In the morning I only do my trouble areas so I don't get too red (at least if I know I am going out of the house). Those areas are use to bp and don't really get red. At night I do everything. I have been using it less than a month and it is working really well. I still have a few pimples but they are small and not swollen like I am use to. I also still have red marks, but those will take longer to go away.

thanks for the info/advise. I was surprised to find out that I did not get any dryness/redness after using 3/4 pump of BP & a light amount of moisturizer. I read about how some people got really dry flaky skin or redness from the benzoyl peroxide in the first week(s) so I was a little worried. I will use a full pump of benzoyl peroxide twice a day, and slowly work up as I feel more confident. The only dryness I experienced was after I used the cleanser. I did have it on my face for a good 30+ seconds though, thinking that 10 was not enough.... but I will try less time next time.

I have watched the videos Dan posted on youtube a 3-4 times each, but have noticed that the video was not available earlier today.

The 10% BP cream I had been using is called Clearasil. I had this single tube for a good 3 years or so only applying little spots on any pimples. The cream would cover up the redness "like a makeup" and would help clear the pimple after x amount of days. It did however dry my skin quite a bit. I was a bit intimidated at first using Dan's 2.5% benzoyl peroxide all over my face, thought it was suicide but I guess there is a big difference between 2.5% & 10% benzoyl peroxide. Maybe using my old Clearsil cream here and there helped over the years make my skin adapt to the benzoyl peroxide or my skin isn't to sensative. Who Knows :shifty:

thanks for the info/advise. I was surprised to find out that I did not get any dryness/redness after using 3/4 pump of BP & a light amount of moisturizer. I read about how some people got really dry flaky skin or redness from the benzoyl peroxide in the first week(s) so I was a little worried. I will use a full pump of benzoyl peroxide twice a day, and slowly work up as I feel more confident. The only dryness I experienced was after I used the cleanser. I did have it on my face for a good 30+ seconds though, thinking that 10 was not enough.... but I will try less time next time.

I have watched the videos Dan posted on youtube a 3-4 times each, but have noticed that the video was not available earlier today.

The 10% BP cream I had been using is called Clearasil. I had this single tube for a good 3 years or so only applying little spots on any pimples. The cream would cover up the redness "like a makeup" and would help clear the pimple after x amount of days. It did however dry my skin quite a bit. I was a bit intimidated at first using Dan's 2.5% benzoyl peroxide all over my face, thought it was suicide but I guess there is a big difference between 2.5% & 10% benzoyl peroxide. Maybe using my old Clearsil cream here and there helped over the years make my skin adapt to the benzoyl peroxide or my skin isn't to sensative. Who Knows :shifty:

I think you're right about your skin being accustomed to the BP. I bet you could go up to the full 2 pumps already, if you feel like your skin can handle it.

thanks for the info/advise. I was surprised to find out that I did not get any dryness/redness after using 3/4 pump of BP & a light amount of moisturizer. I read about how some people got really dry flaky skin or redness from the benzoyl peroxide in the first week(s) so I was a little worried. I will use a full pump of benzoyl peroxide twice a day, and slowly work up as I feel more confident.

Don't be so confident about no dryness yet! For most people, the first few days are not too bad unless they used WAY too much BP. The dryness doesn't usually kick in until you've been applying the BP all over for maybe 4-8 days, typically. Trust me when I tell you to wait on increasing the amount of BP until you're sure you're okay with where you're currently at.

thanks for the info/advise. I was surprised to find out that I did not get any dryness/redness after using 3/4 pump of BP & a light amount of moisturizer. I read about how some people got really dry flaky skin or redness from the benzoyl peroxide in the first week(s) so I was a little worried. I will use a full pump of benzoyl peroxide twice a day, and slowly work up as I feel more confident.

Don't be so confident about no dryness yet! For most people, the first few days are not too bad unless they used WAY too much BP. The dryness doesn't usually kick in until you've been applying the BP all over for maybe 4-8 days, typically. Trust me when I tell you to wait on increasing the amount of BP until you're sure you're okay with where you're currently at.

You think so? Even though ichybon's been using a 10% BP previously?