Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Adri Chan

Please help me to diversify my low carb diet

Hi all, here is what I eat :

Animal proteins : Eggs Bacon Chicken Pork Duck

Vegetables : Eggplants Zucchinis Red and green Peppers Oignons

Fruits : Avocado Coconut Tomatoes

Oil : Virgin coconut oil (since a month)

Cooking oil : extra virgin olive oil

This diet works great for my skin but it's very limited so what could I add?

Is buckwheat okay in a low carb diet?

Thanks for your answers, so for you blessthefall buckwheat isn't good?

What about beef? I know everybody reacts differently, but what about beef?

Have you tested to see if you can tolerate butter, cream, and aged cheese? If you can, then incorporate those into your diet.

There are nuts, nut butters, and seeds that you can add to your diet.

And you are limiting yourself severely with your current vegetables. Most of them are okay except for the starchy ones like potatoes, so find yourself a list of vegetables and see what you want to add.

For nuts i would try

Almond butter , since it taste better then almond nuts.

Brazil nut - Eat like 4-6 a day is good for you :) if u search in google u wont see no1 saying that is bad

I know I'm not adding new foods here, but...

I try to keep my chicken interesting. Add Cajun seasoning to your chicken breast and have some steamed veggies on the side. The other night I made a chicken with red sauce (don't know if you can have tomatoes) and pepperoni that was pretty delicious, minus the cheese of course still it tasted a lot like pizza. Any citrus goes really good with chicken as well.

Well, you are missing dark green veggies like spinach, broccoli, romaine lettuce, kale, etc. but other than that, it sounds like a good list and it all depends on what you do with those foods.

What do you make? What about spices? I take it you don't like fish?

Stir fries and curries are things to do with those veggies that taste completely different and allow you to use spices that are beneficial. And you can add those meats or fishes to them.

Do you make tomato sauces to pour over things like the chicken or the eggplant?

For nuts i would try

Almond butter , since it taste better then almond nuts.

Brazil nut - Eat like 4-6 a day is good for you :) if u search in google u wont see no1 saying that is bad

Nuts used to broke me out badly maybe I will reintroduce them once I'm 100% acne free

I know I'm not adding new foods here, but...

I try to keep my chicken interesting. Add Cajun seasoning to your chicken breast and have some steamed veggies on the side. The other night I made a chicken with red sauce (don't know if you can have tomatoes) and pepperoni that was pretty delicious, minus the cheese of course still it tasted a lot like pizza. Any citrus goes really good with chicken as well.

What is the cajun seasoning? Do you make it yourself?

Well, you are missing dark green veggies like spinach, broccoli, romaine lettuce, kale, etc. but other than that, it sounds like a good list and it all depends on what you do with those foods.

Stir fries and curries are things to do with those veggies that taste completely different and allow you to use spices that are beneficial. And you can add those meats or fishes to them.

You are right about the missing dark green veggies, I didn't know what kale was, never came acrros any in france.

What I do with the foods I listed is cook all the veggies with olive oil, and eat them as sides with meat at each meals.

I like spices and used to use them a lot, but I'm not sure about their positive effect on my skin.

I should eat more fish too, but I'm a lil afraid with the pollution stuff and all.

Beef is the best. I work out too, and I've put on a lot of lean muscle and lost body fat while eating lots of beef. If you're that concerned over it just get some whey protein, but if you ask me natural foods win over processed foods any day.

Also I wouldn't use EVOO to cook with, saturated fats are better because they have very high smoking points and are more stable. Use coconut oil, bacon grease, butter, etc.

You should check your library and see if they've got low carb cook books. I've found great recipes for zucchini pasta, quiche, and they are so simple and easy to make. There are also tons of recipes online. The better you learn to cook, the easier and more satisfying it will be to stay on the diet.

What is the cajun seasoning? Do you make it yourself?

You are right about the missing dark green veggies, I didn't know what kale was, never came acrros any in france.

What I do with the foods I listed is cook all the veggies with olive oil, and eat them as sides with meat at each meals.

I like spices and used to use them a lot, but I'm not sure about their positive effect on my skin.

I should eat more fish too, but I'm a lil afraid with the pollution stuff and all.

Cajun or Creole seasoning is a blend commonly found in supermarkets here. It's usually salt, cayenne, paprika, pepper. I'll look at my bottle when I get home. I'm sure you can find recipes online.

Most herbs and spices from plants are very anti-inflammatory so usually good things.

And I know there are plenty of greens available in France.

Beef is the best. I work out too, and I've put on a lot of lean muscle and lost body fat while eating lots of beef. If you're that concerned over it just get some whey protein, but if you ask me natural foods win over processed foods any day.

Also I wouldn't use EVOO to cook with, saturated fats are better because they have very high smoking points and are more stable. Use coconut oil, bacon grease, butter, etc.

You should check your library and see if they've got low carb cook books. I've found great recipes for zucchini pasta, quiche, and they are so simple and easy to make. There are also tons of recipes online. The better you learn to cook, the easier and more satisfying it will be to stay on the diet.

Thanks for the advice, I eat beef this week without broke out, I will eat some 2 times a week.

I will try to cook with saturated fats, but virgin coconut oil made me break out badly, I took 6 tbs/day and then reduce to 3tbs during a month, I think I took too much because the detox symptoms were really strong.

Cajun or Creole seasoning is a blend commonly found in supermarkets here. It's usually salt, cayenne, paprika, pepper. I'll look at my bottle when I get home. I'm sure you can find recipes online.

Most herbs and spices from plants are very anti-inflammatory so usually good things.

And I know there are plenty of greens available in France.

I will add these spices : cardamom, paprika, star anise, cumin, nigella sativa, cayenne, cloves.

If someone had good or bad reactions eating them please let me know.

y low carb O_O

Because : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acne_vulgaris

Add some carbs! Low carb diets are terrible for you! People are supposed to use carbohydrates for energy. Have you ever heard of the Krebs cycle? When your body uses protein for energy, you release ketones into your blood stream. There are all sorts of effects. Also, if you plan on exercising with a low carb diet, expect your workouts to be more difficult. You can't store glycogen for your muscles without carbs. Of course it is initially easy to lose weight on a low carb diet because carbs hold water. You coudl also just dehydrate yourself for the same effect. Who told you it was a good idea to go low carb? Atkins only lasted a few years for a reason. Change your source of carbs, not eliminate them! As long as you eat a balanced diet and avoid processed foods and food designed to sit on shelves for years you will be fine.

Low carb diets are not dangerous per se but many people don't tolerate them and it's a metabolic disadvantage to rely on just one metabolic pathway when we have many, each specialized for a certain context. On the other hand low-carb doesn't mean neither very low carb nor no-carb.

Since officially diets are supposed to be 60% carbohydrates even someone who decrease them to 50% can be considered low-carb and I bet a lot of people have reduced their carbs. So when someone asks whether X food is allowed on a low-carb diet the answer is: of course as long as it computes in the amount of carbs you've limited yourself to. You can eat pasta on a low-carb diet if you want to.

What people who love to make things more complex than they are have not yet understood is that we work better when relying on carbs during activity and on fats during rest and that carbs is what you manipulate to change calories to accomodate increased needs. Proteins are fixed and fats are rather baseline because we need some and we need EFA. So except overeating that requires a reduction of everything when we go from maintenance to weight loss we mostly have to lower calories from carbs. That's why fundamentally every weight loss diet is low carb or is obtained through carb reduction. If your metabolic needs increase due to extra activity likewise it's carb that should be mostly raised.

Thanks for your replies

i pretty much eat beef and lamb for the most part. Good stuff

I think I will add lamb, and maybe beef but I workout and I think I read somewhere it's not the best meat to build muscles

If it were a website remove it from your bookmarks and cache and if it was a book throw it in the dustbin. No food is ideal to build muscle and no food trigger muscle growth. Muscle can grow only when an intense enough stimulus create the necessity to either increase the sarcoma liquid inside the muscle cells or to increase the thickness of muscular fibers. You can eat all the protein and meat you want and they will never result in muscle growth without muscle growth stimulus. And you won't be able to sustain intense enough muscle building stimulus without carbs as your body can't fuel intense activity with fats, it is simply metabolically impossible. It can use proteins but it's such a waste of amino acids for something that would far better done by other nutrients. People tend to lose fat when they change diet and the less fat you have the bigger your muscle look. So someone with 60 pounds of muscles total and 14% body fat will look less muscular and big than someone with 52 pounds of muscles and 7% body fat. Also when we lose weight we also lose intramuscular fat which result in greater muscular firmness. It's just illogical that eating lot of meat would result in muscle growth since the body doesn't need extra proteins to build muscle. On average we need 10 grams more of protein compared to what the body used to need. Whatever diet already provide those extra 10 grams more since we tend to eat more proteins than we need and the body can derive them from the muscular amino acid pool. So eating proteins doesn't result in muscle growth because the body has already all the proteins it needs to synthesize new muscles and the only reason it doesn't do it all the time is that a stimulus is needed.

It doens't mention a very low carb diet but a diet devoid of fast-acting refined carbohydrates.

Those cultures without acne eat way more carbohydrates than you do from fruits, starches and tubers too. Anyway what the wikipedia article fails to mention is that right now it's more a matter of quantity than of quality.

We overeat on fast-acting carbs. The mechanism by which certain foods generate insulin spikes has more to do with poor metabolic control and poor caloric balance than with X food. A person with reversed insulin resistance through caloric balance, exercise and fat loss can start to eat white bread again without any negative consequence (if he or she wants to, that's it) It's the overfeed, overfat (not something you can see on the scales or by naked eye) body which put the metabolism on halt in an attempt to stop processing nutrients it doesn't need, that's what causes the resistance to what we eat which become intolerances. The thinner, healthier and more active a person is the less number of foods tend to be arbitrarily unhealthy for him, only the excesses. The reasons to avoid white bread should be different, like the fact that it is very nutritionally poor compared to, for example, quinoa.

Low carb diets are not dangerous per se but many people don't tolerate them and it's a metabolic disadvantage to rely on just one metabolic pathway when we have many, each specialized for a certain context. On the other hand low-carb doesn't mean neither very low carb nor no-carb.

Since officially diets are supposed to be 60% carbohydrates even someone who decrease them to 50% can be considered low-carb and I bet a lot of people have reduced their carbs. So when someone asks whether X food is allowed on a low-carb diet the answer is: of course as long as it computes in the amount of carbs you've limited yourself to. You can eat pasta on a low-carb diet if you want to.

What people who love to make things more complex than they are have not yet understood is that we work better when relying on carbs during activity and on fats during rest and that carbs is what you manipulate to change calories to accomodate increased needs. Proteins are fixed and fats are rather baseline because we need some and we need EFA. So except overeating that requires a reduction of everything when we go from maintenance to weight loss we mostly have to lower calories from carbs. That's why fundamentally every weight loss diet is low carb or is obtained through carb reduction. If your metabolic needs increase due to extra activity likewise it's carb that should be mostly raised.

I understand that there are varying degrees of low carb. Maybe you shoud state your ratios somewhere so that people can more adequately assist you. Also, why are you going "low carb", to lose weight? I guess I just believe that exercise is the healthy path. There are many health benefits from aerobic exercise that you cannot get from even the most perfect diets. So, it's my opinion that people should eat the carbs and get out there and sweat. Any expert will say that aerobic exercise is a necessary part of any weight loss program. Limiting carbs to the point where you cannot aerobically exercise then would be counterproductive. (And when I say exercise, I'm not talking about going through the motions of exercise as 90% of the people at the gym do. Reading a book as you leisurely ride a stationary bike doesn't not qualify as exercise and I don't buy the "fat burning zone" bs. Hardly anyone exercises long enough for that to be effective.) When I see someone going "low carb", it appears that they are trying to dodge exercise. With the diet you described above, I would barely make it through a 2 mile JOG. My legs would feel heavy, I'd be out of breath, and I would want to quit as soon as I started. Also, any time you start eliminating major food groups, you lose out on natural micronutrients. Supplements are not necessarily absorbed and there are also unidentified micronutrients in all the foods we eat. Balance is key. Anyone eliminating food groups will be missing something important. I've managed to weigh 110-115 pounds at 5'5" for most of 16 years (I went through a 1-2 year phase where I thought healthy eating could replace exercise and gained 10 pounds living off less than 1500 calories a day. I realized it was time to change back when I was running out of breath after walking up the stairs.) I get sick about once every 5 years. I also went 29 years without acne. I think I have some credibility. Of course you can just believe it is just luck, genetics, or some kind of Godly blessing, but I know how hard and consistently I worked. I've also spent more than 10 years reading about every gimmicky diet out there from magazines and then reading the published studies. There is no short cut. People need to eat balanced, make healthy selections (avoid processed garbage), and exercise. There are too many people out there with unhealthy BMI's driving up our healthcare costs and many of them eat well, they just dodge the exercise. If you are doing this for weight loss, you need to "invest" in some more carbs and work harder at the gym. I've seen too many people hit that plateau where they can't lose any more weight because they simply don't have the energy to exercise because of their restricted diets. Just like you have to spend money to make money, you have to take in extra carbs to lose weight. It seems like a step backwards. However, we all understand the less money you spend up front, the less earning power you have. The less carbs you take in, the less weight loss power you have. Don't limit yourself. Of course, if a diet is excessive and out of control, limiting anything to moderate amounts will help someone lose weight. However, in the long term, plenty of carbs are essential.

Also, why are you going "low carb", to lose weight?

It's what spontaneously happens when you reduce calories.

Let's say you consume 2400 calories.

20% proteins: 120 grams

20% fats: 53 grams

60% carbs: 360 grams

And you switch to 1500 calories.

120 grams of protein = 32%

53 grams of fat = 34%

carbs = 35% (almost half the hypercaloric diet)

It just happens naturally, that's why fundamentally a fat loss diet is a low carb diet.

Add some carbs! Low carb diets are terrible for you! People are supposed to use carbohydrates for energy. Have you ever heard of the Krebs cycle? When your body uses protein for energy, you release ketones into your blood stream. There are all sorts of effects. Also, if you plan on exercising with a low carb diet, expect your workouts to be more difficult. You can't store glycogen for your muscles without carbs. Of course it is initially easy to lose weight on a low carb diet because carbs hold water. You coudl also just dehydrate yourself for the same effect. Who told you it was a good idea to go low carb? Atkins only lasted a few years for a reason. Change your source of carbs, not eliminate them! As long as you eat a balanced diet and avoid processed foods and food designed to sit on shelves for years you will be fine.

I don't think I'm extreme with my diet, there is a difference between low carb and carb free diet, I eat fruits and veggies and they contain carbs.

During a ketosis state the liver converts fat into fatty acids and ketone bodies, not proteins.

I exercise regulary without issues.

I never said the purpose of my diet was to lose weight, in fact I gain 9kg, wich is great because I was underweighted.

Thanks for your replies

i pretty much eat beef and lamb for the most part. Good stuff

I think I will add lamb, and maybe beef but I workout and I think I read somewhere it's not the best meat to build muscles

If it were a website remove it from your bookmarks and cache and if it was a book throw it in the dustbin. No food is ideal to build muscle and no food trigger muscle growth. Muscle can grow only when an intense enough stimulus create the necessity to either increase the sarcoma liquid inside the muscle cells or to increase the thickness of muscular fibers. You can eat all the protein and meat you want and they will never result in muscle growth without muscle growth stimulus. And you won't be able to sustain intense enough muscle building stimulus without carbs as your body can't fuel intense activity with fats, it is simply metabolically impossible. It can use proteins but it's such a waste of amino acids for something that would far better done by other nutrients. People tend to lose fat when they change diet and the less fat you have the bigger your muscle look. So someone with 60 pounds of muscles total and 14% body fat will look less muscular and big than someone with 52 pounds of muscles and 7% body fat. Also when we lose weight we also lose intramuscular fat which result in greater muscular firmness. It's just illogical that eating lot of meat would result in muscle growth since the body doesn't need extra proteins to build muscle. On average we need 10 grams more of protein compared to what the body used to need. Whatever diet already provide those extra 10 grams more since we tend to eat more proteins than we need and the body can derive them from the muscular amino acid pool. So eating proteins doesn't result in muscle growth because the body has already all the proteins it needs to synthesize new muscles and the only reason it doesn't do it all the time is that a stimulus is needed.

I tried to build muscles without and then with animal proteins, the second solution is giving the best results.