Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
polka dot socks

can diet really fix acne?

ok,

i've traditionally been one of those people who tries the pill first before adjusting their lifestyle. I've been on the bcp for my acne for about 2-3 years and 2 months ago swapped to a lower dosage. swapping dosage has totally screwed up my skin again - 'apparently' this is normal for swapping pills and whatever but i'm really not happy with it, it's making me REALLY depressed and i'm pretty sure that if i swap back the adjustment will just screw it up again.

i had a realisation and it's this:

i don't want to have to take a pill forever, or feel like i depend on it, to keep my skin at a reasonable level. i can't be dependant on a drug FOREVER, at some point i will stop taking it.

so i'd rather have a real, effective and long-term solution. I know nothing about diet and acne... But i am willing to give it a go if it can seriously help.

Does changing your diet really help with acne? In a REAL and permanent way? Or is it just a small change?

My skin at the moment (having changed bcp 2 months ago) has whiteheads and sore blind pimples all along the jawline, and around the chin. And lots of tiny bumps around the forehead and cheeks. It's very red all over, and even though I'm really good about cleaning my face, keeping my hair off it etc. every morning when I wake up there are more pimples, usually those horrible sore red lumps that you know are going to come to a head soon.

I am willing to try really hard to find a permanent solution, and I'm hoping diet can do that. Does anyone know of a SIMPLE diet that can help? I don't really have the money or energy to try some elaborate diet or supplement. I'm generally not a diet person and have trouble sticking to them.

Does cutting out carbs or sugar help?

My diet at the moment is pretty bad... I drink very, very little water, I eat a lot of sugar and refined carbs.

So if anyone has an incling that cutting something out of my diet could work, or any experience with simple dieting and their acne please let me know!

I'll be so so so grateful for ANY advice (and sorry this post is so long!).

xxxxx

While diet will definitly help, most of the time it will take a while depending on how bad you've been eating and for how long. The best thing to do while changing your diet it to also do some cleanses, because having acne means something in your body is not working how it should be. Also taking some supplements along with the diet is another good idea, because in the modern world even when eating supposodly healthy we are lacking a lot of nutrients, minerals, and good fats.

some good ones are zinc, fish or cod liver oil, acv, probiotics

also look at other threads and see what has helped people for more ideas

ok,

i've traditionally been one of those people who tries the pill first before adjusting their lifestyle. I've been on the bcp for my acne for about 2-3 years and 2 months ago swapped to a lower dosage. swapping dosage has totally screwed up my skin again - 'apparently' this is normal for swapping pills and whatever but i'm really not happy with it, it's making me REALLY depressed and i'm pretty sure that if i swap back the adjustment will just screw it up again.

i had a realisation and it's this:

i don't want to have to take a pill forever, or feel like i depend on it, to keep my skin at a reasonable level. i can't be dependant on a drug FOREVER, at some point i will stop taking it.

so i'd rather have a real, effective and long-term solution. I know nothing about diet and acne... But i am willing to give it a go if it can seriously help.

Does changing your diet really help with acne? In a REAL and permanent way? Or is it just a small change?

My skin at the moment (having changed bcp 2 months ago) has whiteheads and sore blind pimples all along the jawline, and around the chin. And lots of tiny bumps around the forehead and cheeks. It's very red all over, and even though I'm really good about cleaning my face, keeping my hair off it etc. every morning when I wake up there are more pimples, usually those horrible sore red lumps that you know are going to come to a head soon.

I am willing to try really hard to find a permanent solution, and I'm hoping diet can do that. Does anyone know of a SIMPLE diet that can help? I don't really have the money or energy to try some elaborate diet or supplement. I'm generally not a diet person and have trouble sticking to them.

Does cutting out carbs or sugar help?

My diet at the moment is pretty bad... I drink very, very little water, I eat a lot of sugar and refined carbs.

So if anyone has an incling that cutting something out of my diet could work, or any experience with simple dieting and their acne please let me know!

I'll be so so so grateful for ANY advice (and sorry this post is so long!).

xxxxx

First and foremost when it comes to diet and acne is to cut out all junk/processed foods. My advice after this would be to experiment with different types of diets and see what works best for you.

The most common successful diets on this forum include:

Low-carb, high protein/fat (meat and fat only)

Lower-carb, high protein/fat (meat, vegetables, and fats)

High-carb, med protein, low fat (loads of fruits and vegetables, bit of meat)

I think your best bet is to start playing with your ratio of macronutrients in a day (protein/carbs/fats) and see what makes you feel best and works best for your acne. That's probably the simplest way of doing it IMO. For instance, try a day where you don't eat any sort of fruit, bread, pasta, cereal, etc. and eat only meat and vegetables. See how you feel and if it's not working out try another day of say loads of fruits and vegetables and a bit of meat and see how that goes. Diet is a highly individualized thing and what works for one may or may not work for someone else; experiment and see what works for you.

this is all sounding good....

but i have really really basic knowledge of all that carb and nutrient stuff. so like are fruit and veg carbs? and what would bread be?

i think i'm going to try a week where i cut out all refined/junk foods, have low carbs (i was thinking low wheat - but should i be having low vege/fruit too?) and low sugar.

sound ok?

and if i go on this week trial, then what is there actually left for me to eat!?? i really can't stomach too much meat...

xx

I've tried the diet stuff off and on for a while now. I'm pretty sure sugar breaks me out if I eat a lot of it over several days. For example, since July 4th I've been eating fast food for every meal. That always includes a large (32oz) Coke. yes, extremely unhealthy I know. When I eat this much sugar my forehead breaks out with little whiteheads. It's nasty. But it always happens like this. One time I was eating cookies daily for about a week. Got the same reaction as I am having now.

So for one, stay off excess sugar. A little here and there is fine but don't drink soda all the time, don't eat heavy desserts daily, etc.

I think meat is probably the best thing I can eat at the moment. Whenever I eat it I feel great afterwards. Sometimes I often eat a lot of veggies but I just don't feel the same way. It's strange.

Search the forums. There is a lot of info on every single thing you could eat. You'll have to experience and find what makes you feel good, and what doesn't.

But like a previous poster said, stay away from processed foods. Drink lots of water, and try to eat more organic meats and fish.

Good luck!

i'm currently on trial and error, too.

last week, for two days straight, i ate only joghurt (probiotic) with oatmeal (high carb, low fat, medium protein).

I had lots of gas and justfelt weird, exhausted. in terms of my skin, i think it made it a little worse but nothing to be sure about.

this week i will be trying bread and meat (high protein, high carb, low fat) and see how it's gonna affect me.

google turns up a bunch of articles about healthy diets. here's a good one to introduce you to the basic ideas:

http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_eating_diet.htm

look through it and you'll see that a healthy diet is made of a variety of foods chosen to provide all the nutrients you need.

does diet affect acne? my opinion is that diet affects acne indirectly. other factors have a much bigger effect: your hygiene habits, your medication, and whether you irritate your face affect your skin condition directly and powerfully. eating the best diet in the world won't prevent acne if you pick at your face.

this is all sounding good....

but i have really really basic knowledge of all that carb and nutrient stuff. so like are fruit and veg carbs? and what would bread be?

i think i'm going to try a week where i cut out all refined/junk foods, have low carbs (i was thinking low wheat - but should i be having low vege/fruit too?) and low sugar.

sound ok?

and if i go on this week trial, then what is there actually left for me to eat!?? i really can't stomach too much meat...

xx

Fruit and vegetables are carb sources but they're not even in the same ball park as things like pasta, breads, etc. Vegetables especially contain loads of nutrients and are relatively very low carb per 100g or whatever when compared to breads. Fruits are a little higher in carb (some are very high like bananas) but are still wayy better than breads, pastas. Everyone stereotypes the low carb diet as being meat heavy, but this isn't necessary. Go with some meat, but I highly recommend you also consume loads of good vegetables, particularly leafy greens. If you really want to, include some fruit, but aside from some of the super fruits like blueberries, I'm of the opinion you're better off just going with lower-carb vegetables.