Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AutonomousOne1980

What does the stress response prove??

your mind percieves something and you sense danger, this releases hormones, you believe something is true and it is not in your favor, you anticipate an event that is perhaps greatly in your favor you are excited. for each perception no matter how true to reality, there is a corresponding biological change, depending one how true you believe it is. This become apparent when we watch a certain show on television, a scary moment in a film makes our heart race, yet it is not really hapening you are not in danger but your brain is convinced, and your body responds accordingly.

So we have known for a while now that the mind and body are indeed linked, but ive always wondered if this is the missing link for understanding disease. Traditionally researchers seem to focus in on the very specific and immediate events and work backwards to the larger and larger causes but usually seemingly stopping just short of an opportunity for "treatment", whether or not they desire to see how far the ultimate causes go, even all the way to perhaps the mind itself, to a thought or a belief (strictly hypothetical) to the every sensory information that has entered our eye ball, and even the environment around us. Assuming there is no genetic component, or if its is just a genetic component triggered by a consistent biochemical environment, and its corresponding link to the mind and its external environment.

Its interesting that the cause of some diseases are still elusive after all these years, if there was any real accurate way to measure someone consistent thoughts and how they correspond to the internal condition of hormones in various quantities, perhaps it would become a variable that would be measured when doing studies on the specific causes. When you think about any emotion, it is felt as a change in the state of the body, why couldnt this ever be a factor when studying any disease?? ive read lots of studys and im sure this isnt considered because it isnt something that is particularly easy to measure, but i believe if we were to find a way to measure it, in a scientific fashion this may be able to give some new information as to the minds role in disease.

Considering how neuropeptides are released into the blood stream to relay various instructions to the bodily organs one might wonder if we could even learn to conciously control bodily organs with our minds somehow, just as meditation attempts to almost like watching a movie that convinces your mind that something is real and exists, and the sensory part is all merely a placebo, or you could reframe how you accept any belief, seeing as though people can believe anything for any reason of their choosing anyway, this also proves that we can choose what we feel is true or not, as far as what we can experiance emotionally. Our own brains wiring is completly voluntary, well somewhat at least, things we believe are gospel, are actually to our chooosing, we can choose to have our beliefs correspond with reality to a certain degree or we can super impose our innate beliefs upon reality.

In a nutshell id have to call this your minds relationship to its environment, its an invisible entity that is hard to measure, and i think is very important to your long term and immediate health. More then any multi vitamin perhaps.

What the remedy may be is realizing that things can only bother you as much or as long as you let them, or as you choose to stay exposed to them. Its this emotional adjustment to the reality of life that I suspect becomes a health factor. upon examining the nature of some of my own emotions and stressfull thoughts i can reduce them to the common factor of "supposed to" ideas, so it is possible you are imposing your own ideas about how the world should be and not embracing reality, or you could also tend to ignore reality but you always need to have a plan to deal with what actually exists and that consists of changing your attitude about what that means,perhaps it can only other you as much as you let it.

everyone has a different stress response and unique ideas about what certain events mean to them, to uncover this personal code i dont think we have computers fast enough to do!! where one person would feel anger or depression another wouldnt think there is any reason to get upset, you are only upset with an expectation that you can change it, but perhaps you cant so then what do you do???stay upset the rest of your life??? at some point you will have to decide if it was just something that was not all that big of a deal,sometimes the only thing we can change is our attitude towards the event.

I am becoming more and more convinced that you cannot separate the mind and the body. They are connected to each other obviously, so its naive to assume that one is without the possibility to effect the other, and there is more support for this claim then there exists any to refute it, after every study read, and every pill ive popped, every derm i spoke to it is just all incomplete information, all though this is merely a theory and partly an hypothesis, i dont assume it to be absolutly true, but my logic is fairly decent i believe. We can talk about the immediate changes about the genetic structure of the sebaceous gland cell, and then consider basic concepts like determinism, where every event is due to an event prior and the universe just keeps rolling along in one seemingly determined fashion, absent of any free will, but i know that the concept of topical treatments is an absolute travesty to science, science is always concerned about causation, but the medical community is obssesed with profitable treatments and so this becomes a self fulfilling prophecy where you are never looking for the absolute causative factor, only treatment and never any mention of a cure, although im not at all accusing anyone of cure supression, just lack of real motivation when there is more money in treatment perhaps, i dont want to speculate to much on this though.

I hope this helps someone or makes any sense at all.

i've experienced two types of outbreaks caused by stress:

the first is the sudden appearance of one or more big, white pimples filled with pus and located very close to the surface of the skin. these can appear in a matter of hours, usually when i'm in a stressful social situation. the most common experience goes like this: i walk into a crowded bar full of douchebags. i start to feel something on my face, like a little bit of pressure. by the end end of the night, i look in a mirror and see a huge white pimple at that spot. it forms that quickly, and it is entirely an expression of my inner anxiety. i have no idea how it happens, aside from the general idea of the mind-body connection.

the second type is where prolonged stress leads me to bite my nails, pick at my skin, bang my head against the wall, and do other things to physically irritate my skin. these lead to deep, red breakouts, and the cause is clearly my own physical actions.

the good news is that in the case of the involuntary stress breakouts, they produce a pimple that heals quickly, whereas the other ones can be avoided through better habits.

i've experienced two types of outbreaks caused by stress:

the first is the sudden appearance of one or more big, white pimples filled with pus and located very close to the surface of the skin. these can appear in a matter of hours, usually when i'm in a stressful social situation. the most common experience goes like this: i walk into a crowded bar full of douchebags. i start to feel something on my face, like a little bit of pressure. by the end end of the night, i look in a mirror and see a huge white pimple at that spot. it forms that quickly, and it is entirely an expression of my inner anxiety. i have no idea how it happens, aside from the general idea of the mind-body connection.

the second type is where prolonged stress leads me to bite my nails, pick at my skin, bang my head against the wall, and do other things to physically irritate my skin. these lead to deep, red breakouts, and the cause is clearly my own physical actions.

the good news is that in the case of the involuntary stress breakouts, they produce a pimple that heals quickly, whereas the other ones can be avoided through better habits.

My acne got much better when i decided that i would just accept it and not worry about it anymore, it didnt go away completly at this point but that was my correlation with relaxing and a difference in acne, then when i started to meditate, i made some more progress, then i got more specific about some issues and beliefs i had that were conclusions i came to that were highly unjustified and i assumed to know things that i could never possibly know and proceeded to feel bad about these perceived facts, which were hardly facts, now im learning to deal with actual facts!!! and developing a healthy attitude of non-chalant acceptance hopefully leaving my joy for life somewhat intact.

After trying every god damn thing out there i have completely re-evaluated what it means to be healthy after 2 straight years of the healthiest god damn diet on earth, you would think things would turn around!!! Now i know more about being a human being then id ever thought i needed to know.

yeah, it's amazing what relaxation can do. when i go to santa cruz, ca to visit my sister, it is so nice and calming that my skin stops breaking out, even if i indulge in terrible hygiene and sleep on a couch with a cat on my face and drink too much and eat junk food and don't shower...

also, i think i have a possible explanation for the sudden, white pimples that form quickly under stress: probably the stressful situation triggers an immune response that attacks an already-forming pimple, causing the skin over it to swell up suddenly with fluid and white blood cells. that's my best guess for how a large white pimple could form so quickly.

I've taken this idea to another level because I think many of us create for ourselves the very disorders that cause our acne when we didnt really even have them in the first place.

Here is why the Nutrition/Holistic forum is only slightly less flawed and ignorant than the others: It just gives people endless ideas of what could possibly be causing their acne, and once they believe one to be true, the body makes it so, even if they didnt have this condition in the first place. This is the law of attraction, creation and perception. One's thoughts MUST become one's reality. So when someone starts to believe that they have a gluten intolerance, the mind and body must correlate, and a gluten intolerance is developed, exactly in tune with that person's belief.

The amazing thing about this is that some people, though few, can still work around this. If someone believes absolutely that a gluten intolerance is the sole cause of their acne, and come to complete peace with themselves that if they conquer this gluten intolerance they will conquer their acne, AND are able to hold up the diet without putting too much stress on their mind & body, they will probably succeed. Because just as the mind created a disorder to explain the acne, it created a solution.

Another possibility I believe, and I think there are some studies that have delved into this, (not that I care to look for them) is that stress directly causes these dietary and nutritional disorders. That at some point as a child, some of us had some kind of stress, and not knowing how to handle it, it compounded, caused a deficiency, formed acne and continued to compound. Stress is a state of unhealthiness in the mind, so therefore it can directly cause unhealthiness in the body. This requires more scientific research than my other claim, which I simply know to be true through my own experience and realizations, but I believe this is very significant as well.

This all is so significant not just to acne but to health in general and unfortunately I am seeing that this goes over 90% of peoples heads. People in the Diet/Holistic forum will feel good about taking one step out of ignorance and think they have gone all the way, but wont be bold enough to explore the mind. People dont realize how many layers of knowledge/ignorance there are in the universe. There are many below this exploration of the mind, and I am sure there are many above it that I can only hope to reach. But people dont understand looking at the bigger picture. Instead they will get in petty arguments over dietary issues that aren't even important because not only is the mind above all of this and can conquer all of this, but the mind created ALL of it. I cant even post there anymore because people do not respond to what I say at all, they either ignore it or lash out at me as though im the ignorant one, or that im just a jerk. I want to be able to help people, but im about done trying because the mental barrier is very strong and ive seen very few people come even close to breaking it.

As far as the law of attraction goes as defined in the secret, im not to sure exists, im not fully convinced our mind has any significant relationship to the physical world as to affect matter in such a way, although i am open to evidence of any sort. One thing i do suspect though is that people can sense basic moods when in a certain proximity of someone, although this just may be a correlation to the visual stimuli and how you interpret posture and facial expressions. So im not to sure you can create acne with a specific thought of creating it, but with the placebo effect being so effective, i wonder if it this is the case, although it seems more likely to me that stressfull thoughts and bad emotions just create a general internal environment for disease.

I want to be able to help people, but im about done trying because the mental barrier is very strong and ive seen very few people come even close to breaking it.

People in the Diet/Holistic forum will feel good about taking one step out of ignorance and think they have gone all the way, but wont be bold enough to explore the mind. People dont realize how many layers of knowledge/ignorance there are in the universe. There are many below this exploration of the mind, and I am sure there are many above it that I can only hope to reach. But people dont understand looking at the bigger picture. Instead they will get in petty arguments over dietary issues that aren't even important because not only is the mind above all of this and can conquer all of this, but the mind created ALL of it.

If you want to get into that kind of stuff, let's talk about cycles. There's more than just the mind changing the body. It goes back and forth, over and over. Reality affects the mind, the mind affects reality, back and forth, over and over. Effects become causes, causes become effects.

On top of that, you have all these elements: the mind, the ideas, the cells, the zits, the doctors, the medicines, the posters in the holistic forum... each affects one another, back and forth, thousands of times or more. You can never tell which influenced which first.

Most people definitely stop short of recognizing that there are always causes and effects beyond their own personal understanding. It's human nature to want to have one answer, a holy grail that will solve your problem. The reality is that things are always slightly mysterious. Even something as simple and dumb as acne has its mysteries. The magical mind-body connection is part of that mystery.

However, there's one thing that's not mysterious, but we overlook it because it's so obvious. Usually the mind-body connection works through our own physical actions. If you abuse your skin, pick at it, squeeze it, and scrub it, then your mind can create acne without any need for magic.

As far as the law of attraction goes as defined in the secret, im not to sure exists, im not fully convinced our mind has any significant relationship to the physical world as to affect matter in such a way, although i am open to evidence of any sort. One thing i do suspect though is that people can sense basic moods when in a certain proximity of someone, although this just may be a correlation to the visual stimuli and how you interpret posture and facial expressions. So im not to sure you can create acne with a specific thought of creating it, but with the placebo effect being so effective, i wonder if it this is the case, although it seems more likely to me that stressfull thoughts and bad emotions just create a general internal environment for disease.

"as defined in the secret"....i assume your talking about that movie that was made popular. I feel like that presentation of that was pretty bullshit. It was dumbed down so anybody could buy into it. I think theres more to it than that. I believe in the power of creative thought because if someone starts to only visualize themselves with acne, the body will continue to create more to stay in tune with the mind. I had direct personal experience with this. I struggled at first to even visualize myself clear because it had been so long, but once I broke that barrier, I improved dramatically because my mind and body must stay in tune, and my mind was now pure and clear.

On top of that, you have all these elements: the mind, the ideas, the cells, the zits, the doctors, the medicines, the posters in the holistic forum... each affects one another, back and forth, thousands of times or more. You can never tell which influenced which first.

Unfortunately it seems that for most people mind isnt the most important of those factors though, and thats probably the problem.

However, there's one thing that's not mysterious, but we overlook it because it's so obvious. Usually the mind-body connection works through our own physical actions. If you abuse your skin, pick at it, squeeze it, and scrub it, then your mind can create acne without any need for magic.

Hmmm so your saying you think acne can form from purely physical, external reasons? Im not sure if I believe in that anymore. Why is it then that many people abuse their skin and dont develop any problems, and many people that keep their skin perfect still breakout?

everyone stop masturbating over this new age "research". It is a bottomless pit of victim's guilt and mental manipulation (especially so if you go to a "holistic doctor"). I've been there in my earlier searches, and have been reduced to inaction for years by all this bs.

I'll tell you what makes all the difference in the world for me within 72 hrs: Trimethoprim and exfoliation twice daily.

everyone stop masturbating over this new age "research". It is a bottomless pit of victim's guilt and mental manipulation (especially so if you go to a "holistic doctor"). I've been there in my earlier searches, and have been reduced to inaction for years by all this bs.

I'll tell you what makes all the difference in the world for me within 72 hrs: Trimethoprim and exfoliation twice daily.

I'd like to know more specifically what your critical of. Im looking to get differing opinions from some intelligent people.

psychoneuroimmunology is a science, not new age, the mind body connection is a FACT and it is being studied to find out exactly what it is all about, that is what we are doing trying to figure out what it is all about, its real research, new research.

-psycho- or psych-

pref.

Mind; mental: psychogenic.

Mental activities or processes: psychomotor.

Psychology; psychological: psychosocial.

-Neurology is a medical specialty dealing with disorders of the nervous system

-Immune- the immune system

your mental processes are connected to your immune system.

And also your endocrine system.

I'd like to know more specifically what your critical of. Im looking to get differing opinions from some intelligent people.

well I'm not capable of intelligent discourse, what can I do. just heed my warning or else quacks will get your money, at least for a while. My parting thought with this avenue of "treatment" was: "There might be SOME substance to this, but the practitioners are most certainly quacks".

It's so difficult to prove and quantify results that you're never outside the placebo effect, and they're not even thinking in terms of controlled studies.

Ok so I think your saying your mainly critical of actual holistic doctors and the others who preach certain new age ideologies. That I can understand. I have definitely been skeptical, and still am, about certain parts of this. The Law of Attraction I think has definitely been butchered and dumbed down for presentation to the masses, just to make money. When it was promoted on the Oprah show, I knew it had to be at least a little bullshit. But i've found that if you understand the other aspects of the mind that we've been discussing, it can be a nice supplement. But I do agree that its very misleading the way that specific video was presented to people. It made a lot of people who had little other knowledge of the mind think they can achieve things without doing anything at all. To be fair, MAYBE the mind and universe can really react like that, BUT it must require a very developed and focused mind, which 90% of people do not have, so they just blindly jump into it and waste time. It helps a lot of people get more positive to be fair, but thats it.

I understand your warning though. I've never spent money on anything like this fortunately and dont see that i'd ever have to. Thats the beauty of it, everyone has a mind, and your free to do what you want with it and get as much or as little as you want out of it. I'd recommend you not fully abandon it though. Come back to it again with experience and a critical mind and find for yourself which ways it can benefit you and which ways you believe to be BS. Thats the other thing about it, its what you make of it.

You know, it always gets me that we can see how things like acne, vomiting, cold, so on, can be brought on by many things, INCULDING stress, yet we still want to dismiss in even bigger ways how our emotions, our thoughts, even inner pictures of reality, are always effecting us. Even a thing as dramatic as a heart attack, is so much about life style, emotinal and physical. Blood pressure, headaches....we are WHOLE people.

I know that my acne is very linked to stress. I have GAD, panic attacks, and other anxiety issues. Yet I can even go deeper and see so much of my ance is the emotinal crap that I carry that can't go anywhere, I hold inside, hence the physical blocks. I've always been a quiet person, a shy and often mental person. I never talked about feeling sad, or angery, or scared. I smiled at odd times, just so no one would ask if something was wrong. So I see my skin reflecting that, just as body langage tells us how someone is feeling, regardless of what they might like you to think. At my worst, I had gone though HUGE life changes. I had bad acne, cysts, pain like you wouldn't believe. But it has changed, as I have changed internally.

Is this self blame? It's only blame if I see my stuff as bad in the first place. Is it bad? People who want to use that excuse, are either too afraid that it will shake too much up about how such a basic thing as health could be seen, (and we don't like to be shaken,) or they are looking for a reason to stay where they are. Either way it's cool. I'm not telling anyone to change their ideas of things. But I know for myself which reality feels better in the long run, and what has truly changed my life.

You know, it always gets me that we can see how things like acne, vomiting, cold, so on, can be brought on by many things, INCULDING stress, yet we still want to dismiss in even bigger ways how our emotions, our thoughts, even inner pictures of reality, are always effecting us. Even a thing as dramatic as a heart attack, is so much about life style, emotinal and physical. Blood pressure, headaches....we are WHOLE people.

I know that my acne is very linked to stress. I have GAD, panic attacks, and other anxiety issues. Yet I can even go deeper and see so much of my ance is the emotinal crap that I carry that can't go anywhere, I hold inside, hence the physical blocks. I've always been a quiet person, a shy and often mental person. I never talked about feeling sad, or angery, or scared. I smiled at odd times, just so no one would ask if something was wrong. So I see my skin reflecting that, just as body langage tells us how someone is feeling, regardless of what they might like you to think. At my worst, I had gone though HUGE life changes. I had bad acne, cysts, pain like you wouldn't believe. But it has changed, as I have changed internally.

Is this self blame? It's only blame if I see my stuff as bad in the first place. Is it bad? People who want to use that excuse, are either too afraid that it will shake too much up about how such a basic thing as health could be seen, (and we don't like to be shaken,) or they are looking for a reason to stay where they are. Either way it's cool. I'm not telling anyone to change their ideas of things. But I know for myself which reality feels better in the long run, and what has truly changed my life.

emotional awareness and emotional honesty are some good skills to develop.

you need to acknowledge what you feel and be honest about it, there is no supposed to feel, only what you do feel and why you feel it, so as to give yourself insight in changing your emotional well being, which is usually how you fit into or percieve the environment around you.

Lets call it harmony with ones environment, kind of like music there is harmony and there is dissonance, life is sort of like this and i think hormones are similar, like say you are in a place you enjoy being in, you feel "safe" or "excited" these are physical/mental states and have to do with your environment, and your hormones respond in accordance with how your brain filters every thing you sense.

Love and acceptance is the ultimate state of homeostasis or "harmony" you harmonize with another human being and being around them evokes a special feeling, this is health in the greatest degree throw away all your vitamins, if you are in this state the rest of your life you will be healthy, but nope not so simple people are volatile and change without rhyme or reason you will be lucky to keep this up for your whole life.

Tolerance and niceness a concept which ive grown to move further and further from. dont ever try to tuff things out too much, this is what the terms tolerance and niceness mean, there is something you dont like something you are not ok with, but you decide that you will put up with it, this puts you through unneeded stress, there are a set of beliefs people can have that make them prone to more stress, where one person moves on and avoids the stress, another tuffs it out or believes they must tolerate it. I have a friend ive known for a long time who doesnt seem to have aged at all over the years and is very healthy, and ive studied his attitude towards life and how it correlates with stress, by society standards he is a loser but he rarely stays in any situation he doesnt like, he always make an attempt to go for exactly what he wants, has never been alone, even when he went to jail his girl stayed with him, he is rarely embarresed or anxious about anything and always makes a point to stay in environments of his liking, so he doesnt tolerate anything he doesnt ever have to oh yea and he hasnt worked much at all over the years!!! so he has nothing but he is healthy for it, HA!!! compared to this dude i am almost the exact opposite, i value hard work and toughness and the ability to handle times and things that are tough, i tend to subconciously believe i have to put up with stupid people, this usually goes hand in hand with low self esteem, due to acne im sure it all bleeds into one area of life to another effortlessly effecting everything you werent aware it could ever effect.

its funny that i use the terms harmony and homeostasis when in actuality acne is considered a loss of cellular homeostasis on a molecular level, its as if the analogies cross over quite well in a universal sense such as an atom is analogous of a solar system and so on, so it could be for some diseases but this is all very theoretical and related to a concept known as stress.

I have broken all of this down into one simple concept, socially integrate as much as possible so wherever you go you will not look nor feel nor be percieved as an outsider. This seems like a big task, and its not always necessary as long as you can find a few environments where you fit into well, its all about your relation to your environment and achieving harmony or even a sense of connectedness, and if that isnt possible leave that environment. Or rather change yourself, or change your environment.

hopefully that makes some sense.

Great post. I like how you kinda referred to acne as emotional baggage that you carry around, I know exactly what you mean and I believe thats the case for way more people than they realize.

I've taken this idea to another level because I think many of us create for ourselves the very disorders that cause our acne when we didnt really even have them in the first place.

Here is why the Nutrition/Holistic forum is only slightly less flawed and ignorant than the others: It just gives people endless ideas of what could possibly be causing their acne, and once they believe one to be true, the body makes it so, even if they didnt have this condition in the first place. This is the law of attraction, creation and perception. One's thoughts MUST become one's reality. So when someone starts to believe that they have a gluten intolerance, the mind and body must correlate, and a gluten intolerance is developed, exactly in tune with that person's belief.

The amazing thing about this is that some people, though few, can still work around this. If someone believes absolutely that a gluten intolerance is the sole cause of their acne, and come to complete peace with themselves that if they conquer this gluten intolerance they will conquer their acne, AND are able to hold up the diet without putting too much stress on their mind & body, they will probably succeed. Because just as the mind created a disorder to explain the acne, it created a solution.

Another possibility I believe, and I think there are some studies that have delved into this, (not that I care to look for them) is that stress directly causes these dietary and nutritional disorders. That at some point as a child, some of us had some kind of stress, and not knowing how to handle it, it compounded, caused a deficiency, formed acne and continued to compound. Stress is a state of unhealthiness in the mind, so therefore it can directly cause unhealthiness in the body. This requires more scientific research than my other claim, which I simply know to be true through my own experience and realizations, but I believe this is very significant as well.

This all is so significant not just to acne but to health in general and unfortunately I am seeing that this goes over 90% of peoples heads. People in the Diet/Holistic forum will feel good about taking one step out of ignorance and think they have gone all the way, but wont be bold enough to explore the mind. People dont realize how many layers of knowledge/ignorance there are in the universe. There are many below this exploration of the mind, and I am sure there are many above it that I can only hope to reach. But people dont understand looking at the bigger picture. Instead they will get in petty arguments over dietary issues that aren't even important because not only is the mind above all of this and can conquer all of this, but the mind created ALL of it. I cant even post there anymore because people do not respond to what I say at all, they either ignore it or lash out at me as though im the ignorant one, or that im just a jerk. I want to be able to help people, but im about done trying because the mental barrier is very strong and ive seen very few people come even close to breaking it.

That definitely makes some sense, I was just thinking about it as about a week ago I went on the blackhead forum, having no idea what one is, then realized I have tons of tiny ones all around my nose, but Ive never known this or worried about it. Now I think of it as a problem to stress about when no one can hardly see it. Im trying to put it out of my mind now.

And yes, people seem to get so obsessed/anxious and create so much stress for themselves over this, myself included. Im starting to think its *very* mind related.

^^Yeah, I find this to be more true each and every day. When I first started to talk about this, I was just beginning to experiment with it myself. Now the results have come into reality much clearer and faster than I ever expected. Im about 90% clear now. I havent achieved this in years. I'd act super excited and surprised but its exactly what I was thinking would happen so im just very pleased.