Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Why me??

Fish Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Fish Burps, and Hair Loss

I take my fish oil capsules in the middle of my meals, and sometimes I get fish burps afterwards. Is this a sign that I'm not absorbing it well? Typically, does liquid form of fish/cod liver oil absorb better m than in capsules?

Also, I came across a post here linking fish oil and cod liver oil to hair loss. Is there any truth to this? I did a google search and most sites actually recommend omega 3's for hair loss, though they do warn against consuming too much cod liver oil and the high levels of vitamin A can be toxic and cause hair loss. But how can fish oil and cod liver oil (when taken in moderation as to not overdose on vit A) cause hair loss?

Personally I think that the notion that fish oil or cod liver oil could cause hair loss to be ridiculous...maybe if you seriously overdosed, but anything below that...

As for your first quesiton, liquid form is always preferable.

Ive read in some places that fish oil can increase testosterone, so in people that are at risk for hairloss it may not be good to take alot, im still exploring the truthfullness to this information though, havent found any real good support for this claim, but ive read many testimonials claiming increased hairloss with fish oil so its a possibility to explore.

Best bet is take it, if you start to experiance hair loss, then stop or cut back, simple as that, truth is in experiance.

Ive read in some places that fish oil can increase testosterone, so in people that are at risk for hairloss it may not be good to take alot, im still exploring the truthfullness to this information though, havent found any real good support for this claim, but ive read many testimonials claiming increased hairloss with fish oil so its a possibility to explore.

Best bet is take it, if you start to experiance hair loss, then stop or cut back, simple as that, truth is in experiance.

I've been taking fish oil for little over a year and I seem to have less hair now. I've always had thin, fine hair but it looks like it's worse now. I cant be sure if my hair has really become thinner over the year or if it's just my mind making things up.

This sucks because I believe fish oil makes my skin less oily. What a dilemma. I think once my current bottle finishes I'll stop it for a month... see if my hair improves.

Yes, if you are burping your fish oil then you aren't digesting it.

You may want to try another brand.

I use Nordic Naturals (liquid form in my am. shake) in the summer we use fish oil and in the winter cod liver oil for the vit.d factor.

Your hair loss could be a sign of being anemic, low iron and if there are days when you lose more hair then other days it could also be a sign of an infection, which will decrease your iron further.

Anemic is also a sign of parasites, there is one that loves to feast on iron, especially when you start supplementing with iron tabs.

If you are anemic it might be a good idea to do a parasite cleanse and that would help resolve the hair loss problem.

Another reason could be that you are low in your B's which is needed for healthy hair as well as vit.c.

and minerals.

Yes, if you are burping your fish oil then you aren't digesting it.

You may want to try another brand.

I use Nordic Naturals (liquid form in my am. shake) in the summer we use fish oil and in the winter cod liver oil for the vit.d factor.

Your hair loss could be a sign of being anemic, low iron and if there are days when you lose more hair then other days it could also be a sign of an infection, which will decrease your iron further.

Anemic is also a sign of parasites, there is one that loves to feast on iron, especially when you start supplementing with iron tabs.

If you are anemic it might be a good idea to do a parasite cleanse and that would help resolve the hair loss problem.

Another reason could be that you are low in your B's which is needed for healthy hair as well as vit.c.

and minerals.

Hmm, even as a baby/child I always had thin, fine hair. The hair loss could be due to the hair wax I'm using too, trying to cut it out and see.

fish burps mean nothing. if you have fish oil in your stomach, and you swallow air while eating, you will burp, and it will be a fish burp.

i've been taking omega 3 fish oil pills twice a day for a while. a friend asked me about fish burps last week, and i was surprised by the idea, since i had never experienced them. then it occurred to me that i don't burp much. it's probably because i'm the slowest eater on the planet and i chew my food a million times before swallowing.

anyway, from what i've heard, these supplements are one of the best things you can take for your health.

Ive read in some places that fish oil can increase testosterone,

And I've read in a few places that fish oil decreases androgen production.

Ive read in some places that fish oil can increase testosterone,

And I've read in a few places that fish oil decreases androgen production.

if we only had our own research lab!!!

Reliable knowledge is like finding pure gold.

I second that Autonomous and rakbs, luckily we at least have you two that can sort through the majority of the internet for us lol

Always good info from your guys.

I have been having a very unusual experience with fish oil supplement: soon after I started I experienced hair loss. I have no idea how this works and again in the end what counts is your personal experience with one treatment but I decided to stop taking fish oil and hair loss seems to be stopping as well. it might be due to the possible connection with increased testosterone as result of intake of fish oil? which might also explain why in some cases fish oil causes acne break out ? :rolleyes: