Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello Ladies,

I have to wax my upper lip about every week - every other week. I have considered getting it done professionally because every time I do it on my own I seem to break out on my upper lip and the surrounding area. I am currently using Sally Hansen wax strips. It could perhaps be the after-wax oil that comes with it and just the irritation caused by the waxing - I'm not sure. Either way, the tradeoff is either not waxing and having some "peach fuzz" or waxing and having a breakout :wall: - not too great.

Any suggestions out there that are more skin friendly?

Is the peach fuzz dark or light? If it's light, I'd leave it be. If it is dark, but not coarse, you could maybe bleach it instead. Not sure if that'll irritate your skin, though.

i started using smooth appeal for waxing recently. the one i use is for your legs though :think: but im sure its also available for your face. its cool,smells really nice aswell

Try sugaring? I did it yesterday for the first time and it hurts like hell. But the ingredients are natural. Theres different recipes for it but I used the one with sugar, water and lemon.

I'd recommend sugaring. I've never tried it. Peach fuzz doesn't really bother me. But I've heard that it's a lot less harmful as opposed to waxing. If the peach fuzz is light though, I'd just say leave it.

How are you prepping the skin. You should use an astringent like witch hazel first. Then apply cornstarch as a buffer. Wax, then clean with the astringent again, then apply some hydrocortizone to reduce irritation and redness. This is how I do it in the spa for my clients. I hardly ever get complaints about breaking out. Try to use wax or sugar designed for the facial area. If you are using those waxing products that are like super strong tape, then you are more likely to get irritation and left over hair. If you have a Sally's beauty supply go there and they will hve everything you need, including microwaveable waxes.

I also would break out after waxing, so ever since a particularly horrific experience, I have just "maintained" with plucking.

Basically, I pluck the most noticeable hairs (longest, darkest), and find that this looks much more natural.