Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
craven20

Looking for a dry skin remedy please!

Hi all,

I am new to this site and I have enjoyed reading some interesting articles! I wanted to ask some advice about finding some new products to wash with. I would like to try some natural products for cleansing, and washing my hair, body, and hands. I would also like to find a natural moisturiser and a lip balm.

Let me just give you a little background on myself to put this request in context. I have had an ongoing problem with dry skin on my nose, in the centre of my forehead, and on the inside of my lips for the last 3 years since taking Roaccutane for acne. Another Roaccutane related issue was that I developed a fear of the sunlight after reading the potential side effect “may increase sun damageâ€. I am still experiencing this fear 3 years later and it has prevented me from leaving the house during the day for the last 12 months because I am fearful that the dry skin will be more susceptible to sun damage. I do have dark hair and dark skin but I have still become obsessed about the sun damage issue.

I know that once I conquer the dry skin issue I will be able to venture out again and rebuild my life. I know now that my current high street products are contributing to the dryness and I would appreciate any recommendations for alternative natural products that I can use. I would prefer the simplest possible products (maybe just a natural soap?) because I obsess about ingredients that may increase sun damage (phototoxic) and I also want to avoid any SPF/sun protective ingredients.

Parts of this may sound a bit mad but all these details are incredibly important to me and once I have found the right products I know I will be able to turn my life around. I appreciate any help you can give me.

Many thanks

Chris

I'm confused. Why do you want to avoid SPF/sun protection ingredients when you're worried about sun damage? Are you allergic to them? What about sun damage are you afraid of? Pre-mature aging? Skin cancer? A tan?

I've actually heard somewhere that people with darker skin also tend to have a natural resistance to UV damage so you already have one advantage. I don't think the sun has anything to do with dry skin too. You probably just lack a good moisturizer. Just look out for stuff that contains titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. They are natural sun blockers recognized by the FDA too.