Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baby pink

Looking for natural anti-androgens

Alright so I asked about getting on Spiro to go along with Yasmin and the derm wants me to be on Yasmin for over a month before deciding. So until I get put on it (or if they never put me on it), I want to try some natural anti-androgens. Right now I think I'll be drinking three cups of peppermint or spearmint tea a day (btw, which one is better for the anti-androgen properties?) but what else would you recommend? thanks!

Have you considered using spiro topically, to avoid systemic antiandrogenic (and other) effects?

Have you considered using spiro topically, to avoid systemic antiandrogenic (and other) effects?

I think it may be more effective for me as an oral medication, but I'm not sure. I already have a topical regimen that I probably shouldn't alter. But where can you get topical spiro? doesn't it have to be prescribed?

I think it may be more effective for me as an oral medication, but I'm not sure.

Yes, but the point is that topical spironolactone is devoid of systemic effects, even if it may not be as effective as taking the drug orally. So you're presumably sacrificing a certain amount of overall effectiveness by using it topically, which is _quite_ safe.

But where can you get topical spiro? doesn't it have to be prescribed?

Yes, if you live in the USA, you have to get a prescription for it, assuming that you get it from a domestic source. If you want to try it, I'd suggest getting the popular 5% spironolactone cream that's available from the hair loss Web site minoxidil.com. You can get an online consultation for a flat fee of $20 (if I recall correctly) that will let you have indefinite prescriptions for the spiro cream.

I think it may be more effective for me as an oral medication, but I'm not sure.

Yes, but the point is that topical spironolactone is devoid of systemic effects, even if it may not be as effective as taking the drug orally. So you're presumably sacrificing a certain amount of overall effectiveness by using it topically, which is _quite_ safe.

But where can you get topical spiro? doesn't it have to be prescribed?

Yes, if you live in the USA, you have to get a prescription for it, assuming that you get it from a domestic source. If you want to try it, I'd suggest getting the popular 5% spironolactone cream that's available from the hair loss Web site minoxidil.com. You can get an online consultation for a flat fee of $20 (if I recall correctly) that will let you have indefinite prescriptions for the spiro cream.

yeah, I live in the US :) so I'll need a prescription. I see my derm again on the 9th so I'll ask about it again then. thanks though!

Question.. will anti-androgen's help oily skin???

yep I'm almost positive Spiro helps people with oily skin so I'm sure anti-androgens will help.. I don't know from experience I'm just guessing! From what I've heard, Spiro dries out your skin a bit so maybe natural anti-androgens will do the same? I hope so! But I just want Spiro.. :(

Question.. will anti-androgen's help oily skin???

Sebaceous glands are under absolute androgen control, and are exquisitely sensitive to androgens, antiandrogens, and estrogens. But the main problem with using topical antiandrogens (I'm assuming here that you want to use them topically, to avoid systemic side effects) is that it's rather difficult to find one that has the various biochemical properties that make it effective when used that way. Spironolactone certainly isn't the BEST antiandrogen when used topically (the experimental drug RU58841 probably gets that honor), but it's better than nothing.

I took DIM for 4 days and no results on skin, but I wasn't horny at all, I had to really think about sex hard to maybe kind of get an idea in my mind, which is good, keep things in focus ;) no distractions (I'm female too, not sure if it'd be more beneficial to guys in this area)

you are funny... :lol:

I took DIM for 4 days and no results on skin, but I wasn't horny at all, I had to really think about sex hard to maybe kind of get an idea in my mind, which is good, keep things in focus ;) no distractions (I'm female too, not sure if it'd be more beneficial to guys in this area)

i think olive oil in anti-androgenic, anyone can back me up on this?

Where'd you get that idea?

hey i just got some peppermint tea !! how much are u taking? i think 3 cups is a lot.. !! should i take that much too? im really small....

Haha, all you need is DIM!

I thought DIM was an estrogen metabolizer to help people who are estrogen dominant.. I'm look for something that will block androgens, not estrogens..

I'm taking DIM right now and while it's probably too early to notice a difference I haven't had any cystic acne since. My dermatologist wasn't helping at all. They tried doxycycline, eurythromycin, clyndamycin, photodynamic treatments, tretanoin, and differin. The photodynamic treatment helped with oily skin but nothing else seemed to really do the job. It wasn't until I went to get a facial that I was told my acne was due to hormones. I'm also getting laser hair removal on my chin which is helping a lot with the clogged pores. I don't like using prescriptions since they tend to have negative effects on various organs. I'd love to find something natural. I'll see how DIM works in the next few weeks.

I have had good results with peppermint tea for oil control. 3+ cups/day (consistently!) honestly makes a difference. But if I don't take it the oil comes back within a few days.