Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dely07

What lip balm do you use?

I'm going on accutane in august and i'm trying to make sure i have an idea of face wash's etc i need so i'm prepared

but what lip balm do people on roaccutane use

i knwo theres not a definate everyone uses just wondering which is the most popular

thanks! :)

I tried Carmex, but the menthol in it really irritated my lips. Instead I just applied this Eucerin 10% urea cream stuff. It feels so much more soothing ;D. Even if urea is found in urine and I imagine i'm putting pee on my lips, I'm only weirded out a little.

Conclusion:

I wouldn't reccomend Carmex!

I think a better question is what lip balm DONT I use....haha....

Ok, I use: Burt's Bees, Lip Medex by Blistex (really soothing) and then I also use Aquafore, but it can be a bit thick. I usually use it at night. I got a small tube of it from the derm, but I found some small tubes at the store.

I've found that just plain vasaline works well. You can get small tubes of it to carry around with you.

I bought some Neosporin Lip stuff for just in case I get a crack on my lip from the dry skin.

I went shopping at the Health food store and found some fun lip balms there, but I dont think its something i'll get regularly.

I hope that helps!!

I usually use Carmex at night because it's thicker, but during the day I like Burt's Bees.

Aquaphor and only aquaphor. I started out using burt's bees, but it just wasn't enough at all. I carry a small tube of aquaphor around with me 24/7. It's a bit greasy during the day, but seriously- it's the only thing that takes care of my cracked and peeling lips right now. I'll go back to Burt's Bees once this is over. :)

I use Aquaphor. I had it on one time, and my friend was like "oh i like your lipgloss" im like it's actually aquaphor. but yea it helps a lot. In the beginning of my course, I used blistex and that didn't help me at all.

Aquaphor, but if you're a guy you might want to get something else during the day and apply Aquaphor at night...it is pretty shiny but it helps.

I use Burts Bees peppermint ALL the time! I love it! It is very cooling and soothing. I tried the other Burts Bees and really didn't like them (medicated smelled bad and pomegranate made my lips feel weird). Also when I put my moisturizer on my face I rub it on my lips too. My lips feel dry if I don't have anything on but nothing too bad.

I've been off Accutane for 5 years and my lips are *still* dry and peeling. Now I'm looking to hop on the Accutane train again, so the subject is definitely timely.

What didn't work:

Burt's Bees (the regular, with peppermint I think)-- did absolutely nothing. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who suffers from more than "regular" dryness

Vaseline-- not bad, but it doesn't really do anything, it just sits there.

all the regular, "lipstick" type of tubes I've tried-- probably just made my lips drier and peel more aggressively

What worked ok:

Dr Dan's Lip Balm-- this is probably the best regular type of lip balm I've tried-- it keeps my lips moisturized through the night, and is ok for peeling lips-- too bad I get an obnoxious taste in my mouth from using it, and I'm not sure if I'm comfortable using anything with cortisone for a prolonged period.

What worked best:

Bepanthen (not sure if this is available in the US), it's greasy, goes on white, breaks me out at the corners of my mouth, yet it's still the absolute best I've tried for peeling lips-- that is, now, five years post-accutane. When I was on accutane, even it was rarely enough. In addition, it's not something you would put on your lips in public, especially as a male.

I might still try some of the Blistex stuff that gets recommended here, but I doubt they are strong enough for my condition. I'm going to give Aquaphor a try, though.

The last dermatologist I went to said that even Bepanthen is too mild for Accutane users, and prescribed some ear (!) ointment with topical antibiotics. The antibiotic part turned me off, so I passed.

Quite frankly I'm surprised that some of you get through your treatments using such mild lip balms, but it only goes to prove that everyone's body reacts to the drug differently.

I put hydrochortisone cream on my lips and then I put vaseline on top. It usually stays put for a good hour, providing I don't eat or drink while it's on. My lips feel smooth and normal with the cream/vaseline on. My lips only feel tight when I don't have anything on them, but they do not look dry. But I am a bit obsessive with putting the creme/vaseline on...and reapplying after I drink/eat.

after being put on accutane, i've acquired a habit of buying many chap sticks =/

right now i use aveeno intensive relief therapy lip protectant which works alright but it melted so it's kind of deformed right now =(. it's hard to find a lip balm that won't melt when it's in my pocket while i'm out...

the dr dans stuff seems pretty good, so i'm probably gonna try that one out. my lips can't seem to stay moisturized when i'm eating and when i apply my chapstick, it gets all gooey for some reason.