Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mary prankster

Carmindy on tv show What Not to Wear

I was watching the tv show What Not to Wear tonight on TLC and their makeup artist Carmindy was saying that makeup protects your skin by shielding it from the elements (e.g. pollution). Seeing that she is a makeup artist, do you think that her comments are biased? Or do you think that there is some truth in what she is saying?

Guest kiwikali

well, she's on TV so it's hard to tell what she's saying it true.

and makeup like sinks into your pores, so protection from pollution... eh i'm not so sure

actually i read about this study by dermatologists, and they tested SPF 15 makeup, and actually for makeup with SPF in it to actually shield you from the sun and work like a sunscreen would, you'd have to reapply the makeup like every 30 minutes! what a pain in the ass!

but i looove that show, and carmandy always does a FABULOUS job on makeup.

Some make-ups do not get absorbed by the skin because their molecules are so large. They kind of sit on top of the skin. I can see some make-ups being protective, but not all make-up. BTW-you're right about Carmandy. She is gorgeous!

I'm inclined to think there is some truth to that. It makes sense that it would act as a barrier for dirt and pollution.

I can see spf wearing off in time, but it seems to do a good enough job to keep my face from tanning when the rest of me may get a little color from everyday activities.

Of course some of it absorbs into the skin, but not all of it, or it wouldn't wash off at night, it would just be gone.

Mineral make up sits on top of your skin (which is why it doesn't clog pores)

Atleast that's what I was told about my mineral makeup, by Jane Iredale

Mineral make up sits on top of your skin (which is why it doesn't clog pores)

Atleast that's what I was told about my mineral makeup, by Jane Iredale

See, what I've heard is that it is so small that it gets into the pores. I've read some reviews by esthicians online who say that there clients who use mineral make-up have tons of gunk in their pores. I have no idea what to believe. :unsure:

well 'they' (not dermatologists haha) say that it's only beneficial to wear makeup for the spf assuming you won't be outside all day long and because of the nice ingredients some makeup has....like grape seed oil, witch hazel, chamomile, it's just good conditioning. Almay is good for those things

it makes sense in regard to air pollution, but i wouldn't go rubbing bacon grease all over your face just because you think you can.