Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Le_Chaim

Did BP, SA, and/or Retin-A Micro ruin my skin?

(First off, I'm new here, so bear with me...thanks)

I first got acne when I was about 11...nothing bad at all, just a pimple here or there occasionally, and some whiteheads on my chin. When I was almost 14 it got worse almost overnight (I literally woke up with whiteheads all across my forehead). When I was 15 or 16 I started getting bigger, deeper pimples (a little bit of cystic acne, I think, but mostly just severe pimples) which left reddish-purple marks across my face. I got prescription meds from my pediatrician off and on starting at about 15, and then when I was 16 I started seeing a derm, who put me on Retin-A Micro. I was almost completely clear right before my 17th birthday, then I went to summer camp and gradually started breaking out again. That winter, I stopped the Retin-A (acting on a gut instinct that it was aggravating my acne) and my skin improved noticeably. About a month ago I started taking birth control to help manage PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome, which I thought I might have, and my doc suspects I have, though he isn't positive). My skin is much better than it was at its worst, but I still have red marks, occasional pimples, and some whiteheads on my chin/nose.

My problem is, the skin on my face up to my jawline is paler than the rest of my body, even in the winter. I wear sunscreen on all exposed skin year round, so I know it's not that my face is shielded from the sun and the rest of me isn't. I was wondering, could one of the various meds I used over the years have lightened or bleached my skin? I'm trying to find out by using BP and Retin-A Micro (I have samples) in test patches on my arms just as I would use them on my face to see if either has a lightening effect, but does anyone have any info on this?

Here is a list of everything I've ever used:

BP (usually in 10% concentration in Clearasil)

Sulfur (in Clearasil Adult Acne Treatment)

SA (in Clean&Clear Invisible Acne Gel, various face washes/scrubs, astringents, etc.)

Witch Hazel (Dickinson's)

Alcohol (Bonne Bell's 10-0-6 astringent-cleanser)

Retinol (in Retin-A Micro)

Could any of these ingredients have lightened my skin? I really hate having a different colored face and body, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!

I'm going to be real sincere with you, when I was using BP it made my skin really red. I don't know, maybe it was because it was the BP from acne.org, not sure what it was but my skin just wasn't having it. I would say that these products have contributed to "ruining" your skin, as BP ruined mine.

Although, after I stopped using it for over a year, my face has calmed down and I'm not as red as I used to be. The pictures back then were horrible!! Thanksgiving 2006 pictures were sooooo embarrassing!!