Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Iliad

Is acne more culturally "acceptable" on guys?

With all the threads about guys/girls/acne and attractiveness, I have just been wondering whether you think guys have it easier than girls with acne. I mean lets face it, culture pressures women to look atractive a lot more than men. Over the years men have been receiving just as much influence from the media as women though. Frankly, I think it's a load of BS that people make such a big deal over appearance at all. Anyways.

Well look at a typical mid class marriage. The man is a businessman, leads his own company or works in a big company, and the woman is unemployed. I'm not saying it's always like that, because I know from the example of my family that it isn't. Loyalty, beautyand social intelligence almost always through history were the things that men needed to see in women, while men are often seen as workers, soldiers and the ones who sacrifice most of their time to keep the pack/clan/family alive.

So yes, if that is your question, most of the men with acne are considered "socially acceptable".

Well isn't it a proven fact that men are more prone to get acne (especially serious cases) than women? I mean when you see a satire on acne, it's almost always a guy. So yes in my opinion guys are more accepted. It's just considered a norm that guys get acne.

I don't think it's necessarily more culturally acceptable for men to have acne, but acne scars are definitely more acceptable on men.

Just look at Brad Pitt, Tommy Lee Jones, Edward James Olmos, and all those other famously craggy faced male actors.

It's also more acceptable for men to just look like crap in general all the time.

Just look at...pretty much every current sitcom or comedy that's centers around a family.

There's always a hot, smart girl married to some dumb guy, who is almost always severely overweight and clearly not good enough for her.

Oh, but despite the fact that he's often inattentive and rude, he "loves" her, so all of his glaring flaws are automatically excused.

You're never gonna see a show about a hot, smart guy married to some big fat dumb chick because it just wouldn't be believable at all.

I mean, is that the message we want to be sending younger girls?

"Settle for the first one that won't leave you, girls, even if he's fat, slovenly idiot. Those biological clocks are a-tickin'! You don't want to be an old cat lady!"

For that matter, do we want to be encouraging fat, dumb guys to continue to be fat and dumb?

I mean, really, people wonder why most women who aren't overweight or ugly believe that they are while a good chunk of obese men believe they are "average weight."

It's disgusting.

Guest kiwikali

that's not true, makeup does not hide everything. it's difficult being a woman.

Men have it easier? Women just slab on makeup and you can't even tell.

That's my point.

Men aren't expected to slab on makeup, even if they do have acne.

They can just walk around with zits galore and no one gives a crap, except maybe like one or two other guys that like bullying people.

Women, on the other hand, are expected to wear, at the very least, a bit of mascara or lip gloss, even if we have clear skin. It's rare to see a girl go totally barefaced in public. Most girls who say they "don't wear makeup" are lying their little asses off.

It takes a lot of work to look good, yo, even if you have natural beauty.

Also, whoever said that men are more prone to acne, that's not true.

Women generally have more sensitive skin and a thinner epidermis so we're actually more prone to acne. However, men's acne is worse when it does occur because of their thicker epidermis.

So, really, we've both got it rough: we get more while ya'll get it worse.

I don't think it's necessarily more culturally acceptable for men to have acne, but acne scars are definitely more acceptable on men.

^ I completely agree. So I guess I'm sort of retracting what I said earlier.

Guest kiwikali

who said anything about spoons?

i think its not more socially acceptable for guys to have it, but its way more socially acceptable for them not to hide it

I don't think that a stove or a spoon cares about a woman's acne.

Are you implying that women belong in the kitchen? :o

I say yes. More men have acne than women, right? I think the image of sucessful man with trophy wife makes it worse for women to have acne. Idk though. It sucks both ways, bc acne can make guys display less than the exuberant confidence expected from them.

Guest kiwikali

oh is THAT what he meant?? jeez that's prejudiced. anyways, girls are always pressured to be perfect in the media WAY more then men are, and until guys who think like that can be in our shoes for a day (which won't happen) then they should just stfu, because they really have no idea how hard it is for us.

Men have it easier? Women just slab on makeup and you can't even tell.

That's my point.

Men aren't expected to slab on makeup, even if they do have acne.

They can just walk around with zits galore and no one gives a crap, except maybe like one or two other guys that like bullying people.

Please direct me to this wonderful place; where guys can get away with 'zits galore' and have by the sounds of it only face minimal ostracism. Can't say I've heard of it.

i think its not more socially acceptable for guys to have it, but its way more socially acceptable for them not to hide it

If there was ever a time when the much over used 'QFT' was more appropiate, I've yet to see it.

:clap:

Yes :-*

oh is THAT what he meant?? jeez that's prejudiced. anyways, girls are always pressured to be perfect in the media WAY more then men are, and until guys who think like that can be in our shoes for a day (which won't happen) then they should just stfu, because they really have no idea how hard it is for us.

Girls and humor. Jeez.

Acne is more "visible" on girls because guys care more about looks than girls. Simple enough, really.

Oh, and cry me a river.

Guest kiwikali

Girls and humor. Jeez.

Acne is more "visible" on girls because guys care more about looks than girls. Simple enough, really.

lol, i just don't think it's funny to say that women belong in the kitchen, joke or no joke. :snooty:

and you're right, guys do care a lot more about looks than girls...

:ninja:

Hold the pen! Did you say guys care more about looks!? It seems a little twisted but I think it is women who care a great deal more about how they look because guys are the ones that care more about looks! And guys don't have to be so concerned because girls aren't so concerned with how guys look. Is that about right? But as I have been saying, I think to a certain extent the media pressures guys to have a certain appeal as well, the dumb sitcom husbands aside. Heck, why do you think so many members of this site are male??

Guest kiwikali

Hold the pen! Did you say guys care more about looks!? It seems a little twisted but I think it is women who care a great deal more about how they look because guys are the ones that care more about looks! And guys don't have to be so concerned because girls aren't so concerned with how guys look. Is that about right? But as I have been saying, I think to a certain extent the media pressures guys to have a certain appeal as well, the dumb sitcom husbands aside. Heck, why do you think so many members of this site are male??

oh no what i meant was that guys care more about how women look then we do about men. and women DO care about how they look WAYY more then guys lol youre totally right about that. their is pressure in the media for guys, but so much more pressuring women to be perfect flawless and skinny. it gets tiring sometimes striving to be perfect. :ninja:

I actually LOL'd when I read that. Kudos.

Also, apparently, I was the only one who got that you were just joking and trying to get a rise out of people because, well, that appears to be what your job is on this board.

Calm down, ya'll, seriously.

Offensive jokes are the best kind, whether they're about dead babies, women, Helen Keller, or really any ethnicity.

Please direct me to this wonderful place; where guys can get away with 'zits galore' and have by the sounds of it only face minimal ostracism. Can't say I've heard of it.

Okay, maybe I exaggerated a bit. I'm not saying that guys don't have it rough.

I believe I also said in my post that men's acne is generally worse than women's, even if it's more prevalent among my gender.

I'm aware that acne sucks for everyone.

However, this is just what I've observed:

I've seen guys with not just moderate, but severe acne who had hot girlfriends with clear skin and totally normal lives, all because they had confidence.

Ever seen a girl with severe acne dating some hot football player type just because she had confidence?

No, I'm sure you haven't, because it just doesn't happen.

Now I'm aware that guys are more visually stimulated than women, and that's something that biologically can't be changed or helped, but it doesn't mean that I'm not allowed to be royally pissed off about it!!

Hell, I SHOULDbe pissed off about it, because that shit fucking sucks!

I mean, do you have any iota of an idea how much work I go through to look the way that I do?

I work out constantly, I diet to a point that probably borders on an eating disorder, I have an extensive daily makeup routine, I color/condition/style my hair, I pluck my eyebrows, and I shave off ALL of my body hair.

Quite frankly, it's exhausting.

I also have an extensive skin care routine, however, I know that most of the guys on here can definitely relate to that one. <3

Why do I do all these things? I don't want to be treated like I'm invisible.

That's exactly what happens to technically unattractive women. They're ignored and hidden.

They have to work twice as hard and be twice as good as everyone else to really get ahead in life.

I noticed an instant change in the way people, mostly men, treated me when I lost weight, cleared my skin, and learned to apply my makeup.

They suddenly seemed to be interested in what I had to say and valued my opinions, even though my personality really hadn't changed at all.

The change was even more visceral when I bleached my hair and lost more weight.

A man's appearance isn't going to affect or stunt his career, unless he's in an appearance-minded field like acting, sports, or body building. He can still succeed in business, law, politics, or just about any other field.

For women, your appearance can affect whether or not you get hired at fucking Applebee's.

Guest kiwikali

wow you really summed up what I was trying to say, but my hands really get tired when I type that much :)

i am way too sensitive, and now I see that przn's comment was supposed to be funny

im just having a bad day because i fell down the stairs... :bah:

'Men caring less for their looks' are more accepted, not acne itself.

But the bottom line is, acne looks equally ugly on both men and women.

its more socially acceptable for guys to have acne but whoever said girls don't care about looks as much as guys is wrong, MOST not ALL but MOST girls definately care about looks more than guys. girls don't want to hang out with ugly dudes, plain and simple. if a girl has a bomb personality that makes her hot 2 me

I actually LOL'd when I read that. Kudos.

Also, apparently, I was the only one who got that you were just joking and trying to get a rise out of people because, well, that appears to be what your job is on this board.

Calm down, ya'll, seriously.

Offensive jokes are the best kind, whether they're about dead babies, women, Helen Keller, or really any ethnicity.

Okay, maybe I exaggerated a bit. I'm not saying that guys don't have it rough.

I believe I also said in my post that men's acne is generally worse than women's, even if it's more prevalent among my gender.

I'm aware that acne sucks for everyone.

However, this is just what I've observed:

I've seen guys with not just moderate, but severe acne who had hot girlfriends with clear skin and totally normal lives, all because they had confidence.

Ever seen a girl with severe acne dating some hot football player type just because she had confidence?

No, I'm sure you haven't, because it just doesn't happen.

Now I'm aware that guys are more visually stimulated than women, and that's something that biologically can't be changed or helped, but it doesn't mean that I'm not allowed to be royally pissed off about it!!

Hell, I SHOULDbe pissed off about it, because that shit fucking sucks!

I mean, do you have any iota of an idea how much work I go through to look the way that I do?

I work out constantly, I diet to a point that probably borders on an eating disorder, I have an extensive daily makeup routine, I color/condition/style my hair, I pluck my eyebrows, and I shave off ALL of my body hair.

Quite frankly, it's exhausting.

I also have an extensive skin care routine, however, I know that most of the guys on here can definitely relate to that one. <3

Why do I do all these things? I don't want to be treated like I'm invisible.

That's exactly what happens to technically unattractive women. They're ignored and hidden.

They have to work twice as hard and be twice as good as everyone else to really get ahead in life.

I noticed an instant change in the way people, mostly men, treated me when I lost weight, cleared my skin, and learned to apply my makeup.

They suddenly seemed to be interested in what I had to say and valued my opinions, even though my personality really hadn't changed at all.

The change was even more visceral when I bleached my hair and lost more weight.

A man's appearance isn't going to affect or stunt his career, unless he's in an appearance-minded field like acting, sports, or body building. He can still succeed in business, law, politics, or just about any other field.

For women, your appearance can affect whether or not you get hired at fucking Applebee's.

You could also look at it this way. Women "only" need to pluck their eyebrows and work out to get attention, while men without personality are just as fucked as girls without looks. It's definitely possible to change yourself, but I asure you that it's just as exhausting as shaving your armpits daily. Your argument about jobs (f.ex.) is fair, but a job doesn't make you happy.