Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello,

I would just like to say that I am new to acne.org!

This is my opinion and does not guarantee clear skin. I believe one reason that many vegans/vegetarians/paleothics do not get clear skin is because of the consumption of carbohydrates. The scientific minimum requirement for carbohydrates in the diet is zero.

"Both triglyceride molecules and protein molecules may be broken down and converted to glucose in the liver. The process by which new glucose is formed from noncarbohydrate sources is called gluconeogenesis. In the process of gluconeogenesis, glucose is formed from lactic acid, certain amino acids, and glycerol portion of triglyceride molecules (Fig. 25.10)." Principles of Anatomy and Physiology, Seventh Edition by Gerard J. Tortora and Sandra Reynolds Grabowski, page 835.

To my knowledge if we look at the diets of the eskimo they consumed very little carbohydrates if any at all. They were very healthy and did not suffer from acne. Also many of the studies done on acne has revealed that a low sugar diet will improve acne.

If we look at the the diet of the native americans it was also was very low in carbohydrates. Native americans did not have super walmart stores. They did not go to a grocery store and fill a shopping cart up with tropical fruits and the like. People long ago ate foods that were in there own area. Perhaps they would have ate some wild blueberries, but not the crazy amount people eat today!

During the winter months the natives would soley rely on animal products. During the summer they would probably have consumed non starchy vegetables along with there fresh meat!

We live in a global economy, but we should eat only the foods that reside in our own areas. If you had access to a farm you should drink raw dairy as people had been doing for thousands of years. If you were to eat eggs you should buy eggs from chickens near your area! If you want omega 3 fats then eat fish. Eat animal products instead of fruit!

The whole premise behind Dr. Joe Mercolas nutritional plan and others is to try and keep our insulin levels low. You do not need carbohydrates to survive. In fact most of us would do very well to limit or stop consuming carbohydrates.

Sugar is bad in any way you eat it! I hope this post will help people. Feel free to voice your opinions.

:-) Nice site!

We need carbohydrates, unless we want to go into ketosis state, so I dont believe anything you just said.

As long as your body can ahndle carbohydrates, and your blood sugar doesnt spike too much then thats not the problem. Some people might be eating too much fruit at once, hence they get some serious spikes. But otherwise, this is not the cause I think.

We should look more into stuff going on in the stomach, as long as we limit our carb intake, thats not the exact problem.

And I suppose we also have no use for vitamins and minerals found in fruits and vegetables, and our body doesn't actually need them. Perhaps it's all just a con?

P.S. Welcome to Acne.Org! :)

And I suppose we also have no use for vitamins and minerals found in fruits and vegetables, and our body doesn't actually need them. Perhaps it's all just a con?

P.S. Welcome to Acne.Org! :)

There's nothing in fruits and vegetables that can't be found, in appreciable amounts, in other foods.

OP: Paleolithic diets are generally low-carb; in fact, they are sometimes a 0 carb diet. I think you're confusing it with the Mediterranean diet, or something.

The low carb approach has been around here for a few months now, but I don't think people completely understand how it works yet.

The main reason for it being effective is not to do with something like vitamins and minerals but because calorie for calorie a carbohydrate speeds aging faster than any other macronutrient. If you don't eat anything, your body will go into ketosis. If you eat food, but don't eat carbs your body will remain in ketosis. When you are in ketosis your body senses starvation and activates survival mechanisms to maintain health and slow aging in order to survive the famine.

read http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...p;#entry2334085

The low carb approach has been around here for a few months now, but I don't think people completely understand how it works yet.

The main reason for it being effective is not to do with something like vitamins and minerals but because calorie for calorie a carbohydrate speeds aging faster than any other macronutrient. If you don't eat anything, your body will go into ketosis. If you eat food, but don't eat carbs your body will remain in ketosis. When you are in ketosis your body senses starvation and activates survival mechanisms to maintain health and slow aging in order to survive the famine.

read http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...p;#entry2334085

So you dont eat carbs at all? I managed to clear up by limiting carbs and fix my internal problems (stomach). I am eating starchy carbs at each meal, I am not eating fruit right now though.

But letting your body go into ketosis state, is not a nice thing I think. I mean, getting all your calories from fat and letting your body burn fat for energy. How on earth is that healthy?

And how are you supposed to get enough fat to maintaining health and weight while in ketosis? Are you avoiding the bad fats, or are you eating every fat source you can get your hands on?

I don't think there' s a problem with ketosis...it's likely that older humans would have had to go into ketosis for survival for several weeks out of the year.

Why do you think that letting your body get its energy from fat is bad? Your body stores its energy as fat; there's no reason why it shouldn't be able to use it.

I don't think there' s a problem with ketosis...it's likely that older humans would have had to go into ketosis for survival for several weeks out of the year.

Why do you think that letting your body get its energy from fat is bad? Your body stores its energy as fat; there's no reason why it shouldn't be able to use it.

Well.. I like the idea of limiting carbs, but I felt like shit when I were eating no carbs at all. I mean.. Could it be due to I werent eating enough fat during that time?

And how many carbs would be allowed, if you still want to be in ketosis? Under 20 grams? Then you can hardly eat vegetables. Haha. That would suck.

Well.. I like the idea of limiting carbs, but I felt like shit when I were eating no carbs at all. I mean.. Could it be due to I werent eating enough fat during that time?

And how many carbs would be allowed, if you still want to be in ketosis? Under 20 grams? Then you can hardly eat vegetables. Haha. That would suck.

If you stick with mostly meat and oils, you can still have a few servings of vegetables every day without breaking the 20 carb limit.

Not that it matters, though--you don't have to be in ketosis to be healthy, not by a long shot.

Not everyone candle a zero carb atkins style diet. Most people fall under the mixed metabolic category and even then some lean slightly towards to one side of the scale. My body seems to function best with lots of protein, moderate/high fat, and moderate carbs (usually around 50g but almost always under 100g). Ive tried going zero carb with really high fat and my body slowly becomes more and more lethargic in the ketogenic state.

So you dont eat carbs at all? I managed to clear up by limiting carbs and fix my internal problems (stomach). I am eating starchy carbs at each meal, I am not eating fruit right now though.

I eat no carbs

But letting your body go into ketosis state, is not a nice thing I think. I mean, getting all your calories from fat and letting your body burn fat for energy. How on earth is that healthy?

Fat raises aging biomarkers the least of the 3 macronutrients. Eating a calorie of fat makes your body sense that is less well fed than had it eaten a calorie from carbs or protein, and will therefore slow aging and look to maintain health.

And how are you supposed to get enough fat to maintaining health and weight while in ketosis? Are you avoiding the bad fats, or are you eating every fat source you can get your hands on?

I only eat animal fats, though I avoid dairy fats.