Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I went to have my labs done today and silly me....

I completely forgot about the fasting lipid profile. Not only have I been through a pot of coffee today, I ate a bowl of cookie crisp with milk (whole milk at that) about 1 hour before going in. It dawned on me that I was supposed to fast when I dug up the order and read it over. My appointment is on Monday, and the lab was closing for the holiday weekend so I just decided to go get them down anyways.

Now I'm really irritated with myself as I know I probably will have levels too high to start my first course. When leaving the lab I asked them if there was anyway somebody could contact me with my results and they refused. Pisses me off, because I don't want to drive up to the derm on Monday morning if he's just going to tell me I'm going to have to go back and get them redone. Grrr.

Please, please tell me somebody out there has managed to get acceptable lab results even without fasting?

I happen to work at a hospital laboratory! We get non-fasting specimens all of the time. It is very possible that your levels will come back fine anyway, but the OPTIMUM samples are from fasting individuals. That is when your triglycerides, ect. will be at thier lowest levels. My advice, just wait and see. You could get lucky! :boogie:

well my doctor told me I could drink coffee when I was fasting, so maybe that won't hurt you (unless you put sugar or cream in it).

yeh i did have test done widout fastin for accutane even the intial test for accutane and while taking it to for abt 2 or 3 months until the lab assitant identified that the test has to b done while fastin.. my derm neva told me dat......well my results neva came abnormal n dey were alwayz fine...except dat my hdl waz alway low

i wasnt aware that you were supposed to fast before getting your lab work done..... my results have always been fine

For the record, are we talking about blood urine or feces? I have a derm app. coming up and I am going to ask them to consider putting me on accutane, although I am not sure of the procedures they go through to do so.

Iliad,

They are blood tests.

Phew! That's a relief! ;) I think? I knew they took blood tests but no one had actually said that in this thread so I didn't know if they wanted brain matter or what!

Question: What exactly are the reasons doc's prescribe 'tane? I know they don't give it out to just anybody. These are the reasons for prescribing accutane that seem common so far:

-Having severe acne

-Presence of severe scarring

-Acne has been constantly present for a long time

-Person has psychological trauma, suicidal thoughts

I hope I don't have any trouble convincing them to put me on 'tane. I've fit all of those categories at some point or another, although I am no longer suicidal and my acne isn't as severe as it's been afore.

In my opinion, a good doctor would avoid giving this script out to anyone with suicidal thoughts. It has been reported to medwatch tane can cause side effects of "psychosis" and such. If somebody is suffering from emotional anxiety and angst due to their appearance/skin problems, I think that is certainly a justified cause for prescribing accutane. However, true suicidal ideation is a completely different story, and should probably be (or is) contraindicated with accutane.

In my opinion, a good doctor would avoid giving this script out to anyone with suicidal thoughts. It has been reported to medwatch tane can cause side effects of "psychosis" and such. If somebody is suffering from emotional anxiety and angst due to their appearance/skin problems, I think that is certainly a justified cause for prescribing accutane. However, true suicidal ideation is a completely different story, and should probably be (or is) contraindicated with accutane.

Okay, well at least that's not me anymore. That was me three years ago. But thanks, I won't mention to the doc that I had ever been manically depressed, I'll just let them know I have anxiety and concern. Do they prescribe it the first visit or would I haffa wait for a follow up before they are done testing my blood and stuff? I spose I could just wait and find out this teusday, but if anyone knows that'd be great.

Iliad,

They are blood tests.

Phew! That's a relief! ;) I think? I knew they took blood tests but no one had actually said that in this thread so I didn't know if they wanted brain matter or what!

Question: What exactly are the reasons doc's prescribe 'tane? I know they don't give it out to just anybody. These are the reasons for prescribing accutane that seem common so far:

-Having severe acne

-Presence of severe scarring

-Acne has been constantly present for a long time

I hope I don't have any trouble convincing them to put me on 'tane. I've fit all of those categories at some point or another, although I am no longer suicidal and my acne isn't as severe as it's been afore.

I think it depends on your derm. I went to mine for the first time on Wednesday, and am starting the process to begin Accutane on August 13. My acne isn't cystic or severe, but I do have some scarring although it is not severe either. The thing that made my derm want to try Accutane rather than put me through a ton of other medications first is because my acne is so persistent. I haven't had a 100% clear face since before puberty (I am almost 25). I didn't even have to ask for Accutane, it was the first treatment she mentioned and we're going for it.

Hopefully your derm will be understanding. But I think you should be upfront with him/her about your past of sucicidal thoughts, even though you said you're not having them anymore. That's something that should be considered in the decision whether or not to put you on Accutane. Good luck!