Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kriszti

Does Esteee Lauder Own the Cosmetics World?

So, I went on this site after reading a thread on another forum on here because I was curious about some of the products I use. It's a little scary, actually, but I digress. Anyway, I was looking us various make-up brands it seems like Estee Lauder owns everything! Well, not everything, but a lot of the popular ones -> MAC, Prescriptives, Clinique, Bumble + Bumble, Origins, Aveda, Bobbi Brown, etc. I think that I knew that they owned Clinque and Bobbie Brown, but not the others. I was really surprised to see that. As for looking up some of my products, it does kind of make me want to give up make-up for about six months and see if I improve. :think:

Guest kiwikali

benefit (love) is owned by louis vuitton! isn't that weird?? and benefit is so aforadble too... who would've thought??

sephora is like the best place in the entire world. i like smashbox and stila! i don't know who owns what, but i didn't know about estee lauder owning the world! that sucks... i thought estee lauder was for like old people... :ninja:

benefit (love) is owned by louis vuitton! isn't that weird?? and benefit is so aforadble too... who would've thought??

sephora is like the best place in the entire world. i like smashbox and stila! i don't know who owns what, but i didn't know about estee lauder owning the world! that sucks... i thought estee lauder was for like old people... :ninja:

I know. I kind of have that same stereotype about EL too (=old lady brand.) :lol:

I guess I knew that EL owned a lot of other cosmetic lines, but the last time I looked years ago, they didn't have Aveda, Origins, Prescriptives, etc. Did they start MAC or did they acquire it? Anyone know?

I guess because of its lack of colorful commercializing it seems "old lady-ish"....but its what my derm recommends for my skin because its sensitive, and it works! So i guess thats what matters. :)

I guess because of its lack of colorful commercializing it seems "old lady-ish"....but its what my derm recommends for my skin because its sensitive, and it works! So i guess thats what matters. :)

Your derm recommends EL? Wow. I always thought their products were laden with acne-causing ingredients and irritating fragrances. I guess I learn something new everyday. My derm recommended Clinique a lot.

I know. I kind of have that same stereotype about EL too (=old lady brand.) :lol:

I guess I knew that EL owned a lot of other cosmetic lines, but the last time I looked years ago, they didn't have Aveda, Origins, Prescriptives, etc. Did they start MAC or did they acquire it? Anyone know?

no they didnt start mac. I believe they bought mac fairly recently... cant remember when exactly but it was a few years ago now.

I always loved Burt's Bees, and they were recently bought out by Clorox, of all companies. It makes me sad, but until I see a serious decline in the quality of their products, I'm not too concerned. Just because Clorox is now their parent company, that doesn't mean Burt's isn't Burt's any more. All it means is that Clorox had more money. Parent company, shmarent company. Pretty much everything is owned by something else these days.

I always loved Burt's Bees, and they were recently bought out by Clorox, of all companies. It makes me sad, but until I see a serious decline in the quality of their products, I'm not too concerned. Just because Clorox is now their parent company, that doesn't mean Burt's isn't Burt's any more. All it means is that Clorox had more money. Parent company, shmarent company. Pretty much everything is owned by something else these days.

Bum-mer! :ohno: I love Burt's Bees stuff! And Clorox bought them? Who woulda thunk it?

Bum-mer! :ohno: I love Burt's Bees stuff! And Clorox bought them? Who woulda thunk it?

Yep, Clorox bought them out last October. That's why Burt's is suddenly available in, like, every store.

Yeah, I don't think means that the people in charge of the brand's vision are necessarily gone. The only time you worry is when a parent company buys them out cuz they are going under...then the larger co may revamp or get rid of the smaller company.

Sometimes you see striking similarities between brands with the same parent co (ie. Lancome & Loreal) and other times it just means they have the same financial backing.

I believe Urban Decay was recently bought by Louis Vuitton too. Funny, cuz I see them & Benefit as competitors...they have a similar fun & young style to their branding. I wonder if Urban Decay will pop up in major department stores now too (outside Sephora)...I think that would be awesome actually.

I believe Este Lauder also owns the Kohls line too right? Anyways, for me I dont worry about who own's what, its just corporate matters, doesnt mean all their products are the same, I know Revlon and Almay are the same company (if not owned also by another parent company) but I wont ever think that Revlon's products are just as acne friendly as Amlay's (IMO).

That doesn't really surprise me. It's the same with many, many big corporations -- they turn into conglomerates.