Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BdotMan

Be honest with this one!

For the last 3 weeks, I've avoided sugary foods at all costs. This has gone from completely avoiding cakes, chocolate bars and biscuits to even making sure there's low sugar levels on my dinner foods (i'm talking 1-4% of your guideline daily amount). After the first week, I noticed a slight improvement but after three weeks nothing drastic's really happened to be honest. When I say sugar, I mean refined sugar, the un-natural stuff. I eat two apples a day because I'm told the sugars in THOSE are natural sugars and aren't harmful. Anyway, I'm quite slim and want to build weight so sugary foods can be ideal for that, but I'm missing out for the sake of my face. Just wondering if anyone else has gone on the same diet and made sure consumption of sugars was pretty low? Also, has it helped? I was hoping this could be the missing link and I could finally find something to stop but I'm not impressed to be honest! :think:

What kind of weight are you looking to put on? Muscle? Because sugar doesn't put on muscle. Only resistance training and exercise will be able to do that, combined with the protein from your diet.

I've been on a very low-sugar (even from fruit), low-carb diet for months now and I've been able to put on muscle just fine.

If you're trying to put on body fat, then simply eat more calories than you burn.

That is all.

I stopped eating sugar over 4 years ago. It is only Step 1. I eat absolutely no carbs that turn into sugar like white rice or any wheat. I don't eat any honey, brown rice syrup, or agave nectar. You would think that after a six months of cutting out the legumes, root vegetables, and gluten, I would be clear in addition to no sugar or processed food. But it was the daily high fructose fruits like apples and pears that left me with cheek and jawline acne cysts. The fruit caused an overall state of inflammation and imbalance. So, this is a heads up if you are one of the 1 in 3 that is sensitive to fruits. It gets easier cutting out the sugars, because overall you start adding less salt to your food and balance out your cravings. If you are still not clear you need to address gluten and dairy. It's worth it to be clear.

I stopped eating sugar over 4 years ago. It is only Step 1. I eat absolutely no carbs that turn into sugar like white rice or any wheat. I don't eat any honey, brown rice syrup, or agave nectar. You would think that after a six months of cutting out the legumes, root vegetables, and gluten, I would be clear in addition to no sugar or processed food. But it was the daily high fructose fruits like apples and pears that left me with cheek and jawline acne cysts. The fruit caused an overall state of inflammation and imbalance. So, this is a heads up if you are one of the 1 in 3 that is sensitive to fruits. It gets easier cutting out the sugars, because overall you start adding less salt to your food and balance out your cravings. If you are still not clear you need to address gluten and dairy. It's worth it to be clear.

1 in 3 sensitive to fruits?! :o So what do you eat for carbohydrates? Or do you totally just avoid them?

A lot of people claim that even the sugar in fruit will break them out... maybe you should try a month or so without it to see if anything happens

other people supplement with taurine and vitamin b complex to counter the sugar intake... i would recommend trying the no fruit first though and eat more veggies

Wow guys, thanks for the heads up about fruit sugars! Think I'll give this a try for a week, but then I'm totally missing out on anything sweet at all! That's gonna be hard :shifty:

It would mean getting not even one of my five a day! Hmm, what could I replace the apples with?

I'll just feel really unhealthy :redface: